Jets News 9-9

flgreen

New York Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff not missing ex-punter Steve Weatherford

BY Kristie Ackert and Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Friday, September 9th 2011, 4:00 AM

Steve Weatherford makes a poor decision and runs a fake punt against the Packers last year (above). Mike Westhoff knows the Jets special teams must cut down on unforced errors.

Andrew Theodorakis/News

Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff was not losing any sleep over losing free agent punter Steve Weatherford to the Giants.

"I was very happy in Steve with some things he did and very, very disappointed in others," Westhoff said. "To tell you the truth, I don't want to be 23rd. We're not 23rd in anything else. Wherever we are, I am trying to get better, so that's why we made the move."

Weatherford had an up-and-down tenure with the Jets. Last season, the Jets were 23rd in the NFL with a 42.6 yard-per-punt average. Westhoff also pointed out that Weatherford did tie a league record for most punts inside the 20-yard line with 42.

Westhoff went on to say that he was "disappointed in some of the poor performances."

While he did not mention it, Westhoff certainly remembers Weatherford's disastrous decision to run a fake punt against the Packers last year. Instead, Westhoff seemed to still be upset with Weatherford's shanked 12-yard punt against the Patriots.

"I was disappointed with some of the performances he had at the end of the year," Westhoff said. "It wasn't very good. You were there. You were up in New England. The ball went straight out (of bounds)....There were times when he just didn't do the job. I was looking to get better than what he did at that point in time. Wasn't good enough, in my opinion. It wasn't. I don't want to be 23rd in the NFL. That's where he was."

Westhoff said that he has "confidence," in new punter T.J. Conley, but added that Weatherford also had a good training camp last year.

"I have confidence in T.J., I do," Westhoff said. "but yet he has to go out and prove it."

TOMLINSON READY

LaDainian Tomlinson hears the critics chirping after his limited preseason. Tomlinson, 32, had just 11 carries for 20 yards.

"It's great to hear the doubters in preseason. Then they change their mind when the game gets going and they see you making plays for the team," Tomlinson said. "Then they will question 'is he going to wear down toward the end of the season?' I can't win, but at the same time I am going to do my part."

Tomlinson, an 11-year veteran, knows what he needs to do in the preseason, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said.

PADDING PRACTICES

The Jets practiced in pads for the second straight day. According to the new CBA, teams can have only 14 practices with pads this season; 11 have to be used in the first 11 weeks. They can practice in pads twice in a week just one time in the season.

INJURY UPDATES

Fullback John Conner (ankle) and quarterback Mark Brunell (calf) were limited in practice Friday. Everyone else practiced fully.

TEXAS TWO-STEP

Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins returned to practice Thursday and RT Tyron Smith was partially suited up the day after each left practice early.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/09/2011-09-09_not_missing_weatherford.html#ixzz1XSlPWvjW

Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson to make debut against depleted Dallas Cowboys offensive line

Published: Friday, September 09, 2011, 4:15 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jets Wilkerson.JPGWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerLinden native Muhammad Wilkerson, whom the Jets took in the first round of this year's NFL draft, will make his debut Saturday against the Dallas Cowboys in the season opener.

Jets winning at home is the first step Jets winning at home is the first step Star-Ledger reporters Conor Orr and Jenny Vrentas talk about New York Jets football practice and Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys. (Video by Noah K. Murray / The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Muhammad Wilkerson said he is “not anxious” as he prepares for his first regular-season start, in his first NFL game that counts. But the rookie defensive lineman from Linden feels a strong sense of responsibility as the only new starter on the ambitious Jets defense.

“I do want to come in and fill in the void, being that Shaun Ellis isn’t here,” Wilkerson, a Linden native, said Thursday. “I want to come in and make sure the guys feel comfortable with me out on the field; make it seem like it’s 11 players out there, not 10. I do want to make an impact.”

Wilkerson’s debut will come against a formerly veteran Dallas Cowboys offensive line that has been made over with three players who have one combined NFL start between them, and faces injury uncertainty heading into Sunday night’s season opener. For a rookie, and a unit looking to step up its pass-rush from last year, that could be a helpful combination.

Dallas’ new pieces are right tackle Tyron Smith, a first-round pick; center Phil Costa, in his second year; and left guard Bill Nagy, a seventh-round pick.

Costa, who replaced five-time Pro Bowler Andre Gurode, missed a chunk of the preseason with a sprained ligament in his knee but expects to play Sunday. Smith is uncertain for the game after hyperextending his knee in practice Wednesday. His backup? Jermey Parnell, a second-year project who played just one season of college football, at defensive end.

“I don’t think they feel they can line up in their conventional offense, given that inexperience, on the road,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. “I don’t think anybody is foolish enough to think that they’re just going to come out and run their offense with no adjustments.”

The Jets anticipate quick throws from Dallas quarterback Tony Romo, perimeter runs and an emphasis on the Cowboys’ already prominent screen game, Pettine said.

Linebacker Bart Scott said the defense needs to quickly remind Romo, who missed the final 10 games last season with a broken collarbone, what it feels like to be hit by defenders bursting through his protection.

“The key is always going to be to get a guy like him off his spot,” Scott said. “Coming off his collarbone injury, you need to make sure that you’re able to get shots on him and remind him. Make sure you’re very physical with him, make it a tough day for him.”

The Jets are well-equipped to take advantage of a less-experienced offensive line, because their defensive system thrives on confusing the blockers, by switching their look at the last second and disguising when and where pressure is coming.

It starts up front, with a defensive line rotation Pettine said will include five players — Wilkerson, Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito, Marcus Dixon and Ropati Pitoitua — and possibly a sixth, third-round pick Kenrick Ellis. If active, Ellis would play in goal-line and short-yardage situations with which he is more comfortable, Pettine said.

Because of their depth and rotation, Pettine said the Jets aren’t asking Wilkerson right away to bear the full responsibility of the role Ellis — who played 11 seasons for the Jets before signing with the Patriots last month — had filled.

But the rookie, who came out of Temple a year early, has been working and preparing furiously, leaning on the strong and nurturing leadership of Pouha and DeVito. Wilkerson has studied all five Cowboys linemen, and backups, knowing he may be lined up on anyone in many different formations.

More coverage:

He has “high standards” for himself, and knows the team does as well. But Pouha, the nose tackle who was named a captain, made certain to reinforce to Wilkerson that those standards are for Wilkerson and what Wilkerson can do — not anyone else who came before him.

“The first thing I told him is, ‘You’re not here to fill shoes,’ ” Pouha said. “You’re here to make a name for yourself; you’re here to create your own shoes. You’re here to be Muhammad Wilkerson. The way that he’s been preparing, like a man going to battle back in the day, you can tell he’s up for the challenge.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Wideouts' Plan: Fire on All Cylinders

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 2 hours ago

As Sunday night fast approaches, the Jets are ready to roll out their new-look offense and showcase their veteran additions. With news that Cowboys CB Terence Newman is unlikely to play with a groin injury and fellow CB Mike Jenkins is dealing with neck and knee issues, the passing game may start the season off with fireworks.

The notion excites WR Santonio Holmes, the vocal leader of the receiving corps.

“It’s going to hurt those guys a lot,” Holmes said after today's practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “I hope those guys are ready because it’s going to be a fast-paced game for us, and we’re going to be clicking on all cylinders.”

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer acknowledged the situation, but if he was as excited as Holmes, he didn’t show it.

“We’re aware of what’s been reported, but we have our plan,” said Schottenheimer. “We have a pretty good idea of what we want to do, and then we’ll adjust from there.”

Of course, a pass-heavy offensive attack would mean plenty of opportunities for WR Plaxico Burress to make plays. The big wideout hasn’t played since Nov. 23, 2008 as a member of the Giants, and he's beginning to feel the excitement.

“I’m going to be as fired up as I’ve been in a long time,” said Burress. “It’s been a long time coming for me and my family.”

While emotions will be a major factor for Burress, he has focused his efforts this week on further mastering the playbook. He admits it's a process that will take time but is confident he can make an impression this week.

“I’m getting to the point right now where I’m learning what I have to, which is playing fast,” said Burress. “That’s definitely where you want to be at this time coming into the season.”

Both Holmes and Schottenheimer also stressed the need for Burress to continue in the learning process. To ease the transition, Coach Schotty has inserted Burress into a position with which he is familiar.

“The thing with Plax, the X position is something he feels comfortable with, but we’re not opposed to moving him to another position,” said Schottenheimer. “We know he can handle it. It’s nice to have him sitting on the backside of things, and if he doesn’t, it’s usually something we can take advantage of.”

Burress said that he is comfortable playing different receiver positions besides the X or split end spot, but there is still work to be done to play at the speed he wants.

“Maybe there’s a time in the next few weeks where we can call a play and I can think fast without thinking,” said Burress. “There’s a lot of verbiage in this offense. I’m just getting comfortable right now with my position.”

As Burress continues to familiarize himself with the playbook, Schottenheimer believes he will still be used in a major role. After all, Plax has been here before.

“I wouldn’t say there are a lot of limitations,” said Schottenheimer. “We are dealing with veteran players. It’s not like we’ve got a bunch of guys who are new players.”

Schottenheimer has new tools to work with in creating a productive offensive machine. With the season opening Sunday, he refuses to succumb to the same problems he faced in last year’s opener against the Ravens.

“We didn’t play very well, we didn’t coach very well,” he said. “But I don’t worry about that coming into this game. It’s a different game with different people.”

That same confidence was shared by Holmes, who missed last season’s opener while serving a suspension.

“As far as this first game goes, we pretty much know what to expect,” he said. “In terms of what we’ve got going on, we just have to be ready to fire at these guys, no matter what coverage they throw at us.”

No good reason for Plaxico to fire away

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:37 AM, September 9, 2011

Posted: 3:07 AM, September 9, 2011

More Print

headshotMark Cannizzaro

Why, Plaxico?

Why not simply shut up and get on with your life?

Some athletes simply cannot help themselves.

In the case of Plaxico Burress’ vitriolic rants directed at Giants management, head coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning published in the upcoming issue of Men’s Journal, this is an Exhibit A example of an athlete who doesn’t get it.

In the bombshell interview, some of Burress’ points are salient, such as how New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg made an example out of him, which is true.

But in ripping the Giants, Coughlin and Manning, Burress couldn’t have advertised his cluelessness more emphatically and effectively if he’d flown a banner over MetLife Stadium on game day.

If you’re Burress and you’ve just served your 20 months in prison for gun possession and you want to start fresh and resume your NFL career, torching the team that you actually screwed over because of your irresponsible carelessness isn’t a very productive way to move on with your life.

Since he signed with the Jets, Burress has talked a good game about how much he’s looking forward to his fresh start with his new team. Now, two days away from his first game since 2008, he’s burdened himself with unnecessary distraction by taking a walk on the low road.

This doesn’t do him or his new team any good as they prepare to open the season against the Cowboys Sunday night at MetLife Stadium.

What’s most absurd about Burress’ assassination of the Giants, Coughlin and Manning is that it comes out just a few weeks after all of those feel-good reports he fed us around the time of the Jets-Giants preseason game about his supposed amicable meeting of “closure” with the Giants back in July.

Asked yesterday about why he found it necessary to napalm the Giants, Burress said there “comes a time when you get things off your chest and speak about it at that time and put it behind you.

“I met with everybody over there and I think everything went well,” he said.

How well do you think it would have gone with Coughlin in that meeting if he knew about Burress calling him out for being “not a real positive coach” and ripping him for having no “concern” about his well being from the accidental gun wound?

How well do you think the meeting would have gone with Giants co-owner John Mara if he was aware of Burress saying team management “didn’t have the courage” to tell reporters it ordered him not to practice during the 2007-08 season because of his injuries and “let the media tear me apart, saying I was dogging practice, that I wasn’t a team player, all this (bleep)?”

Perhaps the smartest person in the Giants organization was Manning, who didn’t take part in that hypocritical Burress meeting of “closure.”

Burress, in the article, claimed he was Manning’s “biggest supporter, even days he wasn’t on, ‘cause I could sense he didn’t have thick skin,” and then he chided him for not calling him or visiting him in prison.

Burress has come across as humble since he became a Jet. Humble suits Burress much better than bitter does. There’s a tattoo etched in dark ink and written in fancy lettering across Burress’ upper back that serves as a message pertaining to his life and it reads:

Everything happens for a reason

In the case of this senseless Burress rant, there was no reason for it to happen.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Jets notes: Plaxico's countdown

Friday, September 9, 2011 Last updated: Friday September 9, 2011, 2:11 AM

The Record

Plaxico’s countdown

Apparently the most controversial question Plaxico Burress has had to answer this week did not come from the media, but from his biggest fan.

The Jets’ wide receiver told reporters Thursday that his 4-year-old son "wants to know who throws the better ball, [Mark] Sanchez or Eli [Manning]."

"So I’ve got to go through that every day with him," Burress added, his revelation drawing laughter as he stood behind the lectern for his post-practice news conference.

When reporters requested an answer, Burress joined in the laughing and managed to playfully dodge any further questions on the subject.

The Jets are counting on Burress to be just as agile Sunday night when he plays in a regular-season game for the first time since 2008 with the Giants following his 21-month prison term that resulted from his carrying an illegal firearm into New York City.

"I don’t have any limitations," said Burress, who estimated his ankle feels about 92 to 93 percent. "It’s right where I want it to be."

‘Not good enough’

Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff offered up a simple reason as to why the team was fine with Steve Weatherford leaving for the Giants as a free agent.

"Just wasn’t good enough," Westhoff said. "I don’t want to be [ranked] 23rd [in punting average] in the NFL."

With the Jets last season, Weatherford did match an NFL record for most punts inside the 20 (42).

"I was very happy in Steve with some things he did [and] very, very disappointed in others," Westhoff said. "To tell you the truth, I don’t want to be 23rd … I’m trying to get better, so that’s why we made the move."

Westhoff said he has confidence new punter T.J. Conley can do the job after beating out Chris Bryan in training camp.

"I know he can. Now, is he going to? I don’t know that," Westhoff said. "But he had a great practice [Thursday] and we see some [positive] things."

Brief

FB John Conner (ankle) and QB Mark Brunell (calf) were again limited in practice Thursday. Conner said he is on schedule and his plans to play Sunday have not changed.

— Art Stapleton

PADDING PRACTICES

The Jets practiced in pads for the second straight day. According to the new CBA, teams can have only 14 practices with pads this season; 11 have to be used in the first 11 weeks. They can practice in pads twice in a week just one time in the season.

This is certainly interesting that the Jets used up their only opportunity in week 1, although thinking about it, it does actually make sense. You have to use 11 in the first 11 weeks, so use your ability to double up in that time period knowing you'll skip the padded practices on your bye week. At first I was a little surprised they would do it right away, but then I guess if you consider the limited offseason plus all of the starters sitting out last weeks game, now is probably a better time than any to make sure you're getting those extra live reps. Logically speaking it actually is pretty smart, but I feel like is probably not what your average person would be inclined to do. Most would probably want to save it until they "really need it". I'm curious how many other teams have taken this approach.

This is certainly interesting that the Jets used up their only opportunity in week 1, although thinking about it, it does actually make sense. You have to use 11 in the first 11 weeks, so use your ability to double up in that time period knowing you'll skip the padded practices on your bye week. At first I was a little surprised they would do it right away, but then I guess if you consider the limited offseason plus all of the starters sitting out last weeks game, now is probably a better time than any to make sure you're getting those extra live reps. Logically speaking it actually is pretty smart, but I feel like is probably not what your average person would be inclined to do. Most would probably want to save it until they "really need it". I'm curious how many other teams have taken this approach.

I would imagine Rex is just trying to get some momentum going before they play... it is going to be crucial for the offense and defense to come out hot this season... if doubts about the offense start creeping in early again... this is going to be a long painful year of watching the offense struggle again...

LOL

The "sky is falling" crowd is is easily going to be spinning this as the reason we lost at least 1-2 games by mid-season. Book it.

Joking aside, we notoriously come out slow after extended breaks going all the way back to Mangini - maybe he's just trying to start on the right foot.

Plaxico Burress criticizes Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin in magazine interview

Published: Friday, September 09, 2011, 8:15 AM Updated: Friday, September 09, 2011, 9:57 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

UPDATE 9:00 a.m. Men's Journal released excerpts from the article.

The Giants were one of the teams Plaxico Burress visited as a free agent this summer. But the receiver's comments about coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning in the October issue of Men's Journal indicate that a reunion with his former team may never have been a real possibility, according to excerpts released by the magazine today.

Burress, who is now with the Jets, spoke critically of the way Coughlin treated him before and after Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg in November 2008. He was released by the team the following spring, and he served a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession as a result of the incident.

"After my situation happened, I turned on the TV, and the first words out his mouth was ‘sad and disappointing.’ " Burress told the magazine in the issue due out Sept. 16. "I’m like, forget support — how about some concern? I did just have a bullet in my leg. And then I sat in his office, and he pushed back his chair and goes, ‘I’m glad you didn’t kill anybody!’ Man, we’re paid too much to be treated like kids. He doesn’t realize that we’re grown men and actually have kids of our own."

The interview was conducted in June, well before Burress signed a $3.017 million deal with the Jets on July 31, but he praises the style of Jets coach Rex Ryan as a contrast to Burress' perception of Coughlin.

"He’s not a real positive coach," Burress said of Coughlin. "You look around the league, the Raheem Morrises and Rex Ryans — when their player makes a mistake, they take ’em to the side and say, ‘We’ll get ’em next time.’ But Coughlin’s on the sideline going crazy, man. I can’t remember one time when he tried to talk a player through not having a day he was having."

Burress also said he was hurt that Manning did not reach out to him while he served a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession.

"I was always his biggest supporter, even days he wasn’t on, ’cause I could sense he didn’t have thick skin," Burress said. "Then I went away, and I thought he would come see me, but nothing, not a letter, in two years. I don’t want to say it was a slap in the face, but I thought our relationship was better than that."

Burress caught the winning catch for the Giants in Super Bowl XLII but had issues with how he was treated by the organization that season, during which he rarely practiced because of a severe ankle injury.

"It was hurtful that they didn't have the courage [after the season] to admit they told me not to practice all year," Burress said in an additional excerpt first obtained by the New York Post. "They let the media tear me apart, saying I was dogging practice, that I wasn’t a team player, all this [stuff]. The players thought I was pissing on ’em, and Coach Coughlin hated it because he was out of the loop: The orders came from upstairs. And meanwhile, he’s on the sideline cursing me out ’cause I got a ball punched out against Green Bay. I just stared at him like, ‘Are you out of your [bleeping] mind? I got a separated shoulder and can’t run!’ ”

Burress said Thursday he did address some of his issues during his visit with to the Giants facility in July.

He also spoke out against those fans who were happy he was sent to prison.

"What are you doing now?" Burress said. "You still mad at your job? You still angry about your life? ’Cause I’m back living my life and enjoying my family while you’re still doing the same thing."

Just to be clear, in lieu of / in addition to SoFla, you are acceptable as the designated news thread guy. Just as long as that slats clown isn't stepping out of line again. Thank you.

He is the original news thread guy...

DeMarcus Ware wants D'Brickashaw match up; thinks Jenkins and Smith will play

Published: 09 September 2011 12:50 AM

Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware talked with Josh & Elf on KRLD-FM on Thursday. A few highlights from Ware's interview:

On how to defend the Jets:

I look at that running attack. From a defensive aspect, they always talk about how they ground and pound, so that’s one place we need to stop them to make Sanchez make passing decisions.

On not knowing where he’s going to line up in Rob Ryan’s defense:

I think that’s a good thing because you can get mismatches. You’re not always on the right side or the left side. With me, I try to put pressure coming from different angles, and I think that helps out a lot. And then you look at all the other guys like Jay [Ratliff] and Brady [James], they’re coming from different places too. They’ve got more than just me to look for.

On how he’d approach the Cowboys' offensive line in the wake of Tyron Smith's injury:

I would stick my best pass rusher on that side and see what that guy has. But the weird thing is, the guy that’s usually behind [the starter], they don’t know anything about him. Or a guy like [smith], they play against him a little bit, but they don’t know how he’s going to react in a big game. Sometimes, if you don’t know, that can hurt you a little bit.

On whether he thinks Mike Jenkins or Tyron Smith will play on Sunday:

I think we’ll see both of them. I think we will.

On facing Jets tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson:

I’ve just got to tear down that mortar between those bricks and break him down. A guy like D’Brickashaw Ferguson, he’s a good player, and you’ve just got to outsmart him. He’s just as good of an athlete as anybody on the field, but eventually you’ve just got to try to outwork him. He gets tired too.

Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Jets: Your Weekly Fantasy Forecast

AUTHOR: Steven Mullenax | IN: Cowboys | COMMENTS: None Yet |

Could this be the year that Shonn Greene becomes a fantasy monster?

Yet another new and exciting writer here at The Landry Hat is Greg Bailey. He’ll be bringing insights for your fantasy football teams all season long. Enjoy! – SM

The season is finally here and I am ready…I think. Here’s my take on the upcoming game: I think the Cowboys are only as good as the offensive line and that will be determined on Sunday versus the J.E.T.S. Jets, Jets, Jets. Despite their play recently, I’m really not too worried about our defense. Rob Ryan has his ingenious defensive schemes in place and if we can just execute them, we may only need to prevent the big play. We have enough offensive weapons to do some damage “IF”, and I am heavy on the “IF”, we give Tony Romo time to execute.

If you are into Fantasy Football, which if your reading this article then I suppose you are, here are my predictions:

Quarterbacks: Advantage NYJ (offensive line)

Dal: T. Romo – 250 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int

NYJ: M. Sanchez – 200 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Int

Running Backs: Advantage NYJ (Bruising RBs)

Dal: F. Jones – 60 rush 0 Tds, 5 / 45 Rec yds, 1 TD

Dal: D. Murray – 30 yds total, 0 TDs

NYJ: S. Greene – 120 rush, 2 TDs, 1 / 10 receiving yds, 0 TDs

NYJ: L. Tomlinson – 30 Total yards, 0 TDs

Wide Receivers: Advantage Dallas (Dez, Miles, Witten) Revis can only cover 1 at a time.

Dal: M. Austin – 4 / 50 yds, 0 TD – Locked down by Revis!!

Dal: D. Bryant – 7 / 60 yds, 1 TD

Dal: J. Witten – 6 / 60 yds, 1 TD

NYJ: S. Holmes – 7 / 85 yds 1 TD

NYJ: P. Burress – 4 / 40 yds 1 TD

NYJ: D. Keller – 3 / 45, 0 TD

Kickers: Advantage NYJ (Just slightly)

Dal: D. Buehler or D. Bailey 1 FG / 2 XPs

NYJ: N.Folk 2 FG / 4 XPs

While I find myself intrigued with the Cowboys, I am also finding myself without a Cowboy on my Fantasy Team. (First time in 12 years). This was not by design, but by value. I would have gladly taken Dez Bryant or Jason Witten, but the cards didn’t fall in my favor. I always draft by value and not by my heart. When playing fantasy football, fans are torn by two things: value and favorites. Value wins championships, favorites makes it fun. We will see if the Cowboys give us both.

GAME ADVANTAGES IN DETAIL/A FANTASY TAKE

Offensive line: The Cowboys will be with an inexperienced line and Romo will be slinging the pigskin in a 2 to 3 step drop. Jets will have the balance attack with an experience line – Advantage NYJ

Running game: The running game will be exploited by the NYJs. They will use their bruising back Greene in an effort to tire the Cowboys defense. They will be successful. Felix Jones will do as much damage catching balls out of the backfield instead of being the bruising back. – Advantage NYJ

Passing game: The strongest thing the Cowboys have going for them….receiving. With their rock in Witten, Possession receiver in Dez, Stretching the field with Miles and Felix out of the backfield could spell trouble for opposing defenses. NYJ have an aging Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes. Santonio will get his numbers, but lack of attack from the running backs will allow Dallas to play deep and keep the passes short. – Advantage Dallas

Special teams: Kickers – Who cares. This usually will add 8 to 10 points in fantasy, but neither look good to me. - Advantage NYJ.

Final Score: Dallas 17, Jets 34

Demarcus Ware doing some talking... good luck, hope you like pancakes.

Plaxico is an idiot by the way, we swapped one dingleberry for another with him and Braylon. I understand if he's angry, but Eli and Coughlin didn't put you in jail bub - get over it.

LOL

The "sky is falling" crowd is is easily going to be spinning this as the reason we lost at least 1-2 games by mid-season. Book it.

Joking aside, we notoriously come out slow after extended breaks going all the way back to Mangini - maybe he's just trying to start on the right foot.

That's definitely a good point. Not to mention, let's be honest, outside of perhaps a "win and you're in" type week 17 scenario, this is probably about as high pressure of a regular season game as the Jets could see. Fair or not, there's a lot of people out there who are going to expect a lot more out of the Jets under these circumstances.

Demarcus Ware doing some talking... good luck, hope you like pancakes.

Plaxico is an idiot by the way, we swapped one dingleberry for another with him and Braylon. I understand if he's angry, but Eli and Coughlin didn't put you in jail bub - get over it.

Agreed on Plaxico as far as the post-incident Coughlin stuff goes, but honestly the rest of it I don't have a particular problem with. Essentially he thought his coach was a douche (which let's be honest, he is) and a guy who's career he helped make wasn't the friend he thoughth he was. Nothing wrong with that. But yeah, the complaining about how he was treated after he shot himself is a bit douchetastic.

Oh... and as far as Ware goes, I hope Brick knocks him the **** out.

Schwartz: Jets Vs. Cowboys Preview

September 9, 2011 10:01 AM

Share this

schwartz_feature

By Peter Schwartz

» More Columns

“It just feels different to me. The significance of it I think is stronger than any game I’ve eve felt. I feel more pressure on this game, for whatever reason, than any game that I’ve ever coached.”

Rex Ryan – Monday, September 5, 2011

The Jets’ head coach has been no stranger to brash quotes since being named to replace Eric Mangini in 2009. But his words this past Monday clearly outline how the organization feels about Sunday night’s regular season opener against the Cowboys at MetLife Stadium.

On the tenth anniversary of 9/11, the Jets clearly want to cap off an emotional day with a victory.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for us to really show our stuff and show our respect for our country for this 10-year anniversary, and respect the firefighters and rescue workers and police officers,” said quarterback Mark Sanchez. (We will) pay tribute to the lives that were lost, and give the respect and honor and attention to those families who lost loved ones. Remember them and what they meant to us and remember how strong our country is from a tragedy like that, how we’ve rallied, and play our best football, and have fun.”

The entire team is eager to experience the emotions of the ceremonies and the opportunity to face America’s Team. During the week, I caught up with Jets guard Brandon Moore about the game and the significance of the day…

While there will be ceremonies and tributes throughout the night that will certainly touch everybody, the Jets do have a job at hand and that is to open up the season strong against a Cowboys team that is expected to challenge for not only the NFC East title, but to also represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

The Jets defense, which brings back ten out of eleven starters, will have their hands full with quarterback Tony Romo and company.

“He can make any throw,” said cornerback Darrelle Revis. “He’s a gunslinger. The guy makes plays with his feet while he scrambles a little bit. He looks for his guys. He looks for (Jason) Witten, he looks for Dez (Bryant), and he looks for Miles Austin.”

On the flip side, the Jets offense will try to navigate their way through a Cowboys defense that can certainly bring the heat. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware notched 15.5 sacks last season and has 80 career sacks.

The Cowboys clearly have the makings of a pretty good all-around team.

“You start with the best pass rusher in the league (Spears), and you have a Pro-Bowl nose tackle (Jay Ratliff),” said Ryan. “Their punter (Mat McBriar) is even a Pro Bowler, so this is no pushover by any stretch of the imagination.”

Sunday night’s game also marks the return of Plaxico Burress to the NFL. The Jets signed the former Giants wide receiver on the eve of training camp after serving a 20-month prison sentence for shooting himself in a New York City nightclub.

“I’m excited along with everybody else,” said Burress of starting the season. “I know that my emotions will be high come Sunday.”

Burress was on top of the mountain a few years ago catching the game-winning touchdown against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Now, he’s out to prove that he can return to his old form as one of the best wide receivers in the league. More importantly, he’s out to show a very special person that he’s back in business.

“My son is through the roof right now,” said Burress. “He’s running around in his Jets hat, his Jets jersey. When I come home he has his mouthpiece in, running across the hallway. He’s fired up and he’s ready to go. Every day he wakes up, he wants to know, ‘Is it Sunday yet?’ He’s going to be in the building, trust me. He’s going to be there. So, I’m excited for him because he’s four now, he understands everything. Daddy is going back to playing football.”

Burress is part of a “Big Three” wide receiver group that includes Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason. The former Raven signed on early in camp after being jettisoned by Baltimore. Holmes signed a new five-year deal with the Jets when the lockout came to an end.

“I’m super excited about the season starting,” said Holmes. “Everything is behind us now, the preseason is over. There’s no more playing around. Everything is serious. Going from here we have to be ready to come out firing on all cylinders. Starting fast, we have a lot of great communication amongst us players on offense.”

So we have the emotional atmosphere of 9/11 ceremonies, a team that has gone to back-to-back AFC Championship Games, and we have “America’s Team.”

We have the return of Plaxico Burress and the infusion of other new talent throughout the team.

Am I missing any storylines?

Oh yeah…almost forgot…

RYAN BOWL IX

It’s another battle between twin brothers Rex and Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who will begin his first season in Dallas on Sunday night.

Last year, Rex and the Jets knocked off Rob and the Browns 26-20 in overtime. Including college meetings, Rex leads Rob 5-3 and the Jets head coach has won all three NFL meetings against his brother.

A lot has been made about the similarities between the two and not just because they are twins. They have both created successful defenses but it’s not like their philosophies are identical.

“I think we’re fraternal that way, just like we’re fraternal anyway,” said Rex. “There are some differences, a lot. He’ll bring a lot of corner pressures, he’ll do a lot of stuff (that he learned) under (Patriots head coach Bill) Belichick’s tutelage. So we’re definitely different. He has probably his own trademark of defense, and so do we here.”

Last year’s match-up in Cleveland drew plenty of attention around the country and it’s been the same so far this week. The brothers are very close and their relationship alone would normally be the big storyline.

But not this week.

“It’s always special when you play against Rex,” said Rob. “You know his team is going to be well coached and they’ve got great players over there and it’s going to be an exciting time. It’s hard to talk about my brother and me when it’s 9/11, so everybody’s got emotions on that one. But we look forward for the Cowboys to get after it and we’re going to do great.”

The Ryan brothers are also feeling an emotion that hits closer to home. Their father Buddy, the architect of the Chicago Bears’ “46 Defense,” is battling cancer but has postponed surgery until after Sunday’s game.

“Anytime you have cancer again, it’s a huge concern,” said Rex.

But Buddy was at last year’s game in Cleveland and wouldn’t miss this week for the world. So, he’s decided to postpone surgery until after the game so that he could be at the Meadowlands on Sunday night.

“It’s going to be great to have him here,” said Rex. “This is huge for him. He’s been looking forward to it for a long time.”

Buddy’s latest diagnosis with cancer was only discovered recently.

“He’s constantly fighting that and that just happened last week,” said Rob. “This game is important to him and he’s going to get operated on after the game. He wants to see these two rams bat heads and we’re going to get after it.”

Now that’s something that Buddy just can’t miss.

THE JETS/COWBOYS SERIES

Sunday night marks the 10th meeting between the Jets and Cowboys. Dallas leads the all-time series 7-2. The Cowboys have won two in a row and three of the last four. The last meeting was on Thanksgiving Day, November 22nd, 2007 when the Cowboys crushed the Jets 34-3 at Texas Stadium. That day, a guy by the name of Nick Folk kicked a couple of field goals for the Cowboys.

The last Jets win over the Cowboys took place on December 19th, 1999 when Ray Lucas led Gang Green to a 22-21 victory over the Cowboys in Irving. They also beat the Cowboys 24-9 at Giants Stadium back on November 4th, 1990.

Cowboys fans usually travel well as has been the case each year when they visit the Meadowlands to face the Giants. It would not be a surprise to see plenty of Cowboys fans at the game on Sunday night, but you know who suggests that they stay at home.

“I don’t know why they’d be here,” said Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “They’re coming into our stadium, it’s probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff, I would think. “

Even the high priced tickets in the new stadium might not be enough to keep the Dallas faithful away.

It took a while for the Cowboys and the Jets to meet for the first time. The Jets were born as the Titans in 1960. The Cowboys joined the NFL the same year and eleven years later, the two teams met for the first time, a 52-10 Cowboys victory at Texas Stadium.

Under the NFL’s current scheduling format, the Jets and Cowboys meet every four years.

THE JETS AND THE NFL REMEMBER 9/11

Those of you who are fortunate to have tickets for Sunday night’s game should plan on leaving a little earlier so that you are in your seats in time for special pre-game ceremonies to honor the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Here’s the rundown…

Upon entrance into MetLife Stadium, all fans will be given small American flags. Taps will be streamed live into the stadium with the backdrop of the World Trade Center site. Then, bagpipers from the FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD will perform “Amazing Grace” from the field.

Members of the military, FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD will unfurl and hold a full-field American flag alongside both the Jets and Cowboys. Grammy Award-winning trio Lady Antebellum will perform the National Anthem replacing Mary J. Blige who had a conflict. Children of first responders will serve as honorary captains.

At halftime, the Jets are asking that fans remain in their seats for an emotional tribute, as the stadium will transition into concert mode with all lights turned off. The program will commence with New York native and Academy Award-winning actor Robert De Niro narrating a powerful moment created by family members of 9/11 victims represented by “Tuesday’s Children.”

Then Five For Fighting will perform an acoustic, version of “Superman (It’s Not Easy).” The song became an anthem for many people after the 9/11 attacks.

Throughout the night, Jets coaches and players will wear FDNY, NYPD, and PAPD hats.

“(All) the proceeds will go to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, so that ought to be a great thing,” said Ryan.

The hats will be available at the game and online at jetsshop.com for $15.

THE PREDICTION

MetLife Stadium will be oozing with emotion on Sunday night. Whether it’s the 9/11 ceremonies or just the simple fact that it’s two quality teams opening the season on a national stage, this could very well be a very special night.

I think the Jets are better and I think they will dot the I’s and cross the T’s on a special day in New York with a special performance. Gang Green won’t be a thing of beauty in the early weeks but they will win this one. I think the Jets will take advantage of the Cowboys’ new offensive line and a banged up secondary.

Jets 27 Cowboys 13

That’s all for now! Check back after the game for more!

Just to be clear, in lieu of / in addition to SoFla, you are acceptable as the designated news thread guy. Just as long as that slats clown isn't stepping out of line again. Thank you.

I was here early this morning and read the news on my own time, thank you very much. I can tell when my superior editing skills aren't appreciated. :cross:

Haven't read the whole article but from this Plax comes off as some what an a$$

Yes he does. The self-pity is running extremely high.

How much time has to pass before 9/11 is treated like some sort of national holiday cross between Thanksgiving and Veteran's or Memorial Day, where we hoist brews, eat barbecue, watch a football game, and have no idea why we're off from work?

I was here early this morning and read the news on my own time, thank you very much. I can tell when my superior editing skills aren't appreciated. :cross:

Yes he does. The self-pity is running extremely high.

What can I say, we were in agreement far too much this offseason, it was about time we came up with something to argue over.

How much time has to pass before 9/11 is treated like some sort of national holiday cross between Thanksgiving and Veteran's or Memorial Day, where we hoist brews, eat barbecue, watch a football game, and have no idea why we're off from work?

Not until all (or at least most) of us are gone. Consider the fact that the "Day of Infamy" still hasn't reached that status (although at this point it's mostly ignored).

Keidel: Time for Rex to Flex

September 9, 2011 12:33 PM

Crime is way up. We have no jobs. We are on a high terror alert. And we are in a solemn state of rapid-fire memorials for the tenth anniversary of 9/11.

But we have Rex Ryan: head coach, comic relief, and closest thing to the Marvel Comics character, the Kingpin, we’ve seen in our city. Ryan has the hubris, the caustic tongue, and the contours to cast a titanic shadow over New York City, though his New York Jets work, practice, and play in New Jersey and haven’t played in a Super Bowl since they left Queens. Call it coincidence, karma or Schadenfreude, depending on your football allegiance.

Ryan has promised to change the morbid mantras of his team and town, declaring from the jump that “Same old Jets” will have an entirely new connotation by the time he’s done coaching Gang Green.

Ryan has been a blast. He can fill a notepad with quotes, jokes, and gaseous assertions, even if he drops too many F-Bombs for public consumption. But his team plays uber-hard for him and always seem to buy what he’s selling, which is no small task in a league filled with funky personalities and egos stretching wider than his waistline.

Most analysts are nestled in neutral ground, slapping a tepid 10-6 record on the Jets this year, and a wildcard birth behind New England, the presumed winners of the AFC East. Hard to argue, as the Patriots are loaded and have long traded on trading for graybeards, castoffs, and criminals while turning them into solid citizens, if not champions.

And it’s fitting that New England is the speed bump on the Jets’ drive to the Super Bowl, as they seem forever bonded by a football lineage that started with Bill Parcells fleeing Massachusetts for New York and, upon his departure from the Jets, his assumed successor, Bill Belichick quickly quitting as “HC of the NYJ,” which makes the grumpy coach with the homeless chic wardrobe forever a pariah in the five boroughs and beyond.

Ryan’s first order of business was to make his mission statement echo all the way up I-95, parking in Boston. He said was not here to kiss Belichick’s ring. Well, since the coach has three of them, we could go plural with that. But Ryan’s sentiment was sound. You can’t win until you believe you can.

It’s a tough tightrope Ryan toes, a line between confidence and arrogance. He smacks his nemesis with one hand while stroking him with the other, saying he’s not in Belichik’s class as a coach. It was little more than posturing until the playoffs last year, when Ryan’s Jets beat the tar out of a heavily favored team, in their building.

Ryan, like all coaches, will go as far as his quarterback will lead him. As we saw with Aaron Rodgers, who morphed into a singular assassin on the way to a Super Bowl title, good (if not great) QB play is essential. Mark Sanchez (or Sanchise, if you prefer) has been blasted lately because, well, I don’t really know why. He posed for a magazine, and Rodgers saw fit to maim him on radio for it. Quarterbacks, often vain by dint of their pay, their looks, and the appeal of being the leader of an NFL team (which only 32 men on Earth can scribble on their W-2), have swapped sweats for sweaters for photo shoots for as long as I can recall.

What Sanchez has, beyond being handsome, are four road playoff wins before his 25th birthday. And that – forgive the cliché – is nothing to sneeze at. No QB in NFL history has done that, which speaks to Mark’s mettle in the huddle. Maybe the Jets are best served by losing their division, considering how comfy they are with road jerseys, planes, buses, and hotel buffets.

But it invariably comes back to Ryan, who has backed his bombast with appearances in the last two AFC title games. He put himself in a perilous position by being successful so quickly and by telling everyone who will listen that the Super Bowl is the mandate in the Meadowlands.

The jokes, the foot fetish videos, the wig wearing with his brother, are fun when you win. Indeed, Dr. Scholl’s may offer a sponsorship deal if he delivers a Super Bowl win for the fans. But deliver he must.

Ryan surely knows that he can go from fun to bum in – forgive the next cliché – a New York minute. Remember Manginius? The young coach (a Belichick disciple, no less) came to the Jets backed by the bona fides of success. Groomed by Belichick, we called Eric Mangini a can’t-miss. Until, of course, he missed. Then his ornery, borrowed-from-Bill style of secrecy, cloaking injuries, and monosyllabic retorts to the New York media was no longer seen as the template for success.

Joe Girardi struggled with the press when pressed about injuries and such, regurgitating the fiery style that got him fired from the Marlins. Proving to be a quick learner, G.I. Joe adopted a more earnest and honest approach and won the World Series his second year, which, in YankeeLand, gave him about a three-year grace period before he’s expected to win another.

It’s not an exact analogy, but in many ways the Jets are like the Mets and the Giants are like the Yankees. Not only do fans of one almost always love the other, historically speaking, one team is in turmoil and ending hollow seasons in December, while the other wins with quiet, corporate nobility. The Giants have won three Super Bowls since Namath jogged out the Orange Bowl, his index finger wiggled toward the South Florida stars. And I’m quite sure Giants fans remind Jets fans of this. The fact that they also beat the Jets’ most loathed foe (and thus thwarting their perfect season) doesn’t help, either.

Ryan promised to be the equalizer, assuring us he will be Barack Obama’s house guest, sans reelection. He can get away with another playoff run short of the Super Bowl, but after that the clock will officially tick on his tenure. And if he doesn’t make the playoffs, he may want to slap the dust off his résumé. You’d be amazed by how quickly the group hug dissolves in a matter of months.

It feels Jets fans are still spellbound by Rex Ryan, ensconced in a long honeymoon with a man who has led the team a long way, but not far enough. If Ryan doesn’t deliver soon – let’s give him until the 2012 season – his histrionics won’t be so clever anymore. He will go from cherubic to chubby, from worshiped to worthless, and from head coach to an anonymous coordinator for a 1-15 franchise. That wouldn’t be too funny, even to the resident clown of our town.

Feel free to email me: Jakster1@mac.com

Jets owner Woody Johnson on security measures for 9/11 season opener against Cowboys

BY Manish Mehta

Owner Woody Johnson touched on a variety of topics in the run-up to the season opener against the Cowboys on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

“This is a big game for us,” Johnson told reporters, including the News' Stefan Bondy. “It’s a great honor to be selected by the NFL to play this game. It brings back a lot of memories…”

Here are the higlights:

Did you speak to the NFL about wanting to play this game? No, I didn’t ask specifically about this. The previous year I was asking for things, if you remember.

On extra security measures: “I can tell you that for every game we do everything we know to protect our fan, to protect the stadium so we’re extremely rigorous, we’re in charge, our security forces are in charge of all the security forces in the world as far as I know. Anything that comes up, we know about. We’re very well plugged in with New Jersey, New York, and other areas. Our job is to create a safe environment, and we intend to do that.”

On whether the terror threat announced changed security plans: “As far as I know, no. Our security is already at a pretty high level. We’ll wait to see any recommendations that any of these security forces make and we’ll of course go by that. But we’re prepared.”

On whether there will be a national security presence: “I can’t go into specific details. But I think you’ve been around me long enough to know we’re pretty thorough.”

On Rex Ryan’s comments about Cowboys’ fans showing up with team gear: “You know Rex. He didn’t mean it that way. Rex is enthusiastic. He’s very confident in his team. He has a high degree of affection for his team. I think he was coming from that light. We have to provide safety. I don’t care what jersey you’re wearing, you’re going to be safe at our stadium. That’s just a fact of a fact. We have a responsibility to protect you and make sure you have a good time as well. He didn’t mean it that way.”

On how ready the Jets are right now: “They look good. They really do. It’s a Friday practice is when you see it all come together. They’re ready, they’re ready. They can’t wait to play a real game.”

Is this year Super Bowl or bust? “I don’t know about bust. We’re going to set our goals the highest possible. That’s the only way to lead. You don’t lead your troops in to come in 47th.”

Is it a failure if the team doesn’t reach the Super Bowl? “I never consider a failure because we always give 100 percent. That’s all I can ask of our guys to do.”

On hiring Rex and if more owners will hire coaches with similar personality and look: “Absolutely. I think we’ve lead in a lot of ways the different things we’ve done. You can never judge a book by its cover. Although with Rex, I judged him by his cover. Because when I saw the guy and talked to him for two minutes, he was 45 minutes late to the interview, and even that, in about 2 seconds, you got past that and realized he’s a passionate leader. He’s got an affection for the players and he’s got the X’s and O’s, for sure, that’s very clear because he’s always top defense. But I thought he could connect with players. …What Rex is what Rex is. So if anybody tries to be Rex that’s not going to work. If you are authentic it’s going to work. If you’re not authentic, the players will see right through you.”

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Jets FB John Conner was full participant in practice, listed as probable for Sunday

Published: Friday, September 09, 2011, 2:03 PM Updated: Friday, September 09, 2011, 2:25 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

The Jets added Santonio Holmes to the injury list today with an illness, but he went through a full practice.

John Conner and Mark Brunell were full participants in practice today after being "limited" throughout the week.

Rex Ryan has them listed as probable for Sunday alongside a laundry list of players with minor injuries that have been practicing full throughout the week.

Logan Payne and Rob Turner are the only players that are ruled out for Sunday while Santonio Holmes was moved to probable with an illness. He did go through a full practice, though.

The rest of the probables: WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring), DT Marcus Dixon (knee), DT Kenrick Ellis (hamstring) WR Derrick Mason (knee), RB Joe McKnight (illness), G Brandon Moore (illness), DT Ropati Pitoitua (ankle), NT Sione Pouha (knee), and Darrelle Revis (hip).

Ryan chose not to comment on strong words Plaxico Burress had toward Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning among others during a recent magazine interview.

Specifically, Ryan was asked how he would have handled Burress' situation if he was coaching him when the incident occurred.

"I don't really want to deal in the what if's and all that stuff, I don't think it's fair to anybody," Ryan said. "The hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I'd rather not comment on it."

The team closed the week with one of the best practices they've had all season.

"That's the way you like it on Friday going into our offense with Plaxico (Burress) and Derrick Mason, I think we're going to do some great things."

Jets FB John Conner was full participant in practice, listed as probable for Sunday

Published: Friday, September 09, 2011, 2:03 PM Updated: Friday, September 09, 2011, 2:25 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

The Jets added Santonio Holmes to the injury list today with an illness, but he went through a full practice.

John Conner and Mark Brunell were full participants in practice today after being "limited" throughout the week.

Rex Ryan has them listed as probable for Sunday alongside a laundry list of players with minor injuries that have been practicing full throughout the week.

Logan Payne and Rob Turner are the only players that are ruled out for Sunday while Santonio Holmes was moved to probable with an illness. He did go through a full practice, though.

The rest of the probables: WR Plaxico Burress (ankle), TE Jeff Cumberland (hamstring), DT Marcus Dixon (knee), DT Kenrick Ellis (hamstring) WR Derrick Mason (knee), RB Joe McKnight (illness), G Brandon Moore (illness), DT Ropati Pitoitua (ankle), NT Sione Pouha (knee), and Darrelle Revis (hip).

Ryan chose not to comment on strong words Plaxico Burress had toward Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning among others during a recent magazine interview.

Specifically, Ryan was asked how he would have handled Burress' situation if he was coaching him when the incident occurred.

"I don't really want to deal in the what if's and all that stuff, I don't think it's fair to anybody," Ryan said. "The hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I'd rather not comment on it."

The team closed the week with one of the best practices they've had all season.

"That's the way you like it on Friday going into our offense with Plaxico (Burress) and Derrick Mason, I think we're going to do some great things."

So... something going around the team, huh? Maybe these guys have all gotten a little "too close" if you know what I mean.

Archived