Greg Cossell- The entire offense sucks

Matt39

Cosell’s Watching: Jets not clicking, Giants playing chess with JPP

by Greg Cosell

NFL Matchup’s Executive Producer shares notes from his study of Week 16 coaching tape: the Jets offense vs. the Giants defense.

Giants opened the game in their “big nickel” v. Jets “12” personnel

Amukamara was benched as the slot corner in the nickel, In this game Ross stayed outside and Rolle played over the slot – Rolle played just about every snap

LT Ferguson struggled at times with the initial burst and bull rush leverage of Pierre-Paul

Looked like the “big nickel” was the Giants base defense, Against the Jets and their predominant base personnel Blackburn played more snaps than Williams at LB

Looked like the Giants game plan was to play base 4-3 when FB Connor was in the game in a 2 man backfield

Giants showed Tuck and Pierre-Paul inside in 2 point stances with LB Williams and Boley outside, Different alignment with a lot of pressure and coverage possibilities

Jets no consistency or sustaining element to their run game, No longer control pace and tempo by running the ball

Sanchez overthrew wide open McKnight on designed shot play on 1st + 10 in the 2nd quarter, McKnight shifted from “I” formation to plus split WR; Jets got the matchup they game planned: McKnight on LB Boley

Pierre-Paul now a movable chess piece; Aligned at DE, at DT, in a 2 point stance in the middle

Sanchez not a confident passer right now, He’s pushing the ball not letting it loose – Looks stiff and uncomfortable, plus he’s playing a little fast

It’s evident watching the Jets offense the coaching staff does not believe it has a foundation runner, Greene not used in that capacity ; At his best Greene is a grinder and a sustainer

Jets pass game not very multi-dimensional in design, Did not give Sanchez a lot of help with route concepts v. Giants predominant man coverage

Sanchez not very good if his primary read is taken away, That’s always been one of his issues; Not a strong progression reader of coverage

A significant problem for Sanchez is his erratic accuracy, Misses too many throws that are there – Not the kind of QB that makes receivers better with precise ball location

Holmes has been a disappointment for the Jets, Has not shown the same short area explosion he had in the past – Has not shown the consistent ability to beat man coverage, which has been a surprise

Phillips interception was a miscommunication between Sanchez and Kerley, Sanchez threw the seam and Kerley hooked it up

Jets had no intermediate or downfield passing game, Receivers did not win v. predominant man coverage and Sanchez is not a tight window thrower

Jets were 4-21 on 3rd down, That’s about as bad as it gets

Jets overall not a very good offense right now, An inconsistent run game and a very limited pass game

by Greg Cosell

NFL Matchup’s Executive Producer shares notes from his study of Week 16 coaching tape: the Jets offense vs. the Giants defense.

Giants opened the game in their “big nickel” v. Jets “12” personnel

Amukamara was benched as the slot corner in the nickel, In this game Ross stayed outside and Rolle played over the slot – Rolle played just about every snap

LT Ferguson struggled at times with the initial burst and bull rush leverage of Pierre-Paul

Looked like the “big nickel” was the Giants base defense, Against the Jets and their predominant base personnel Blackburn played more snaps than Williams at LB

Looked like the Giants game plan was to play base 4-3 when FB Connor was in the game in a 2 man backfield

Giants showed Tuck and Pierre-Paul inside in 2 point stances with LB Williams and Boley outside, Different alignment with a lot of pressure and coverage possibilities

Jets no consistency or sustaining element to their run game, No longer control pace and tempo by running the ball

Sanchez overthrew wide open McKnight on designed shot play on 1st + 10 in the 2nd quarter, McKnight shifted from “I” formation to plus split WR; Jets got the matchup they game planned: McKnight on LB Boley

Pierre-Paul now a movable chess piece; Aligned at DE, at DT, in a 2 point stance in the middle

Sanchez not a confident passer right now, He’s pushing the ball not letting it loose – Looks stiff and uncomfortable, plus he’s playing a little fast

It’s evident watching the Jets offense the coaching staff does not believe it has a foundation runner, Greene not used in that capacity ; At his best Greene is a grinder and a sustainer

Jets pass game not very multi-dimensional in design, Did not give Sanchez a lot of help with route concepts v. Giants predominant man coverage

Sanchez not very good if his primary read is taken away, That’s always been one of his issues; Not a strong progression reader of coverage

A significant problem for Sanchez is his erratic accuracy, Misses too many throws that are there – Not the kind of QB that makes receivers better with precise ball location

Holmes has been a disappointment for the Jets, Has not shown the same short area explosion he had in the past – Has not shown the consistent ability to beat man coverage, which has been a surprise

Phillips interception was a miscommunication between Sanchez and Kerley, Sanchez threw the seam and Kerley hooked it up

Jets had no intermediate or downfield passing game, Receivers did not win v. predominant man coverage and Sanchez is not a tight window thrower

Jets overall not a very good offense right now, An inconsistent run game and a very limited pass game

Interesting take. I like that he pointed out that Sanchez is guiding the ball and not letting it lose. Biggest thing I noticed vs. the Giants. He's not a thrower. He aims, cant throw a receiver open, never gives a WR to catch and run because he's has zero accuracy and he cant throw to a window. Its ******* pathetic.

And I disagree with their take on Green. The run game was very effective and the Jets got away from it for no reason. You cant become predictable and one dimensional vs. a team that wants to have their DL pin their ears back and attack the QB. Its to easy on them and too difficult on the OL. Its no wonder DBrick or Hunter struggle. That and Sanchez holds on to the ball long and has no clue how to evade pressure or step up into the pocket/side step to avoid the rush.

Sanchez just sucks really bad and its a domino effect.

Interesting take. I like that he pointed out that Sanchez is guiding the ball and not letting it lose. Biggest thing I noticed vs. the Giants. He's not a thrower. He aims, cant throw a receiver open, never gives a WR to catch and run because he's has zero accuracy and he cant throw to a window. Its ******* pathetic.

And I disagree with their take on Green. The run game was very effective and the Jets got away from it for no reason. You cant become predictable and one dimensional vs. a team that wants to have their DL pin their ears back and attack the QB. Its to easy on them and too difficult on the OL. Its no wonder DBrick or Hunter struggle. That and Sanchez holds on to the ball long and has no clue how to evade pressure or step up into the pocket/side step to avoid the rush.

Sanchez just sucks really bad and its a domino effect.

You watch other QBs, even marginal ones. And they manage to get it in a window where a receiver is in stride at least a few times a game. Better QBs manage it even more often. Sanchez never hits guys in stride. Either they have to stop and jump, reach back or slow down or stop altogether to have chance of catching the ball, or it's overthrown. Yes, he is young, it's only 2 seasons, he cane out as a Junior, but i's a skill he hasn't mastered at all. You would think with all the hsort crossing crap Schitty calls we would've had a few long catch and runs, and yet we don't.

You watch other QBs, even marginal ones. And they manage to get it in a window where a receiver is in stride at least a few times a game. Better QBs manage it even more often. Sanchez never hits guys in stride. Either they have to stop and jump, reach back or slow down or stop altogether to have chance of catching the ball, or it's overthrown. Yes, he is young, it's only 2 seasons, he came out as a Junior, but it's a skill he hasn't mastered at all. You would think with all the short crossing crap Schitty calls we would've had a few long catch and runs, and yet we don't.

You watch other QBs, even marginal ones. And they manage to get it in a window where a receiver is in stride at least a few times a game. Better QBs manage it even more often. Sanchez never hits guys in stride. Either they have to stop and jump, reach back or slow down or stop altogether to have chance of catching the ball, or it's overthrown. Yes, he is young, it's only 2 seasons, he cane out as a Junior, but i's a skill he hasn't mastered at all. You would think with all the hsort crossing crap Schitty calls we would've had a few long catch and runs, and yet we don't.

Like I said, it was very noticable the other day that he aims/guides the ball. You cant be accurate like that. And he definitely waits and only throws to guys that are open. He cant throw through a wind or throw a WR open. Even the little passes in the flats. Green had one on Sat. in the flats where if he made one guy miss he was gone...but he turned around to find a ball at his feet. Even if he did catch it, by the time he adjusted, caught the ball and got square to go up field...the safety was already there. That was a 5 yard pass. 5 yards. 5.

This wouldnt be a big deal if this didnt happen all the time.

Its just the simple things too...things you learn from day 1. Like the 3 second internal clock in the end zone. You dont step up into a pocket, pump fake, turn your back to the line and then expect DBrick to hold his block or run away from Tuck. I mean its moronic. Ground the ******* ball at the 1 if you dont see anything. It was first down. So they place the ball in on the 1 foot mark instead fo the 1 yard. Big whoop. At least you live to see another down.

I could go on and on...but its just pathetic. The guy plays Football every day...probably has for 10 years. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how he is young.

Interesting how poorly our receivers and route patterns are reviewed in that article.

The writer is lost on the running game however. If we had fed Greene all day long we had a much better chance of winning.

Sanchez is either shell shocked from the hits he's taken, hurt or just much worse than many of us thought due to lack of talent and/or coaching.

Just heard Cimini on ESPN radio...pretty much echoed this article.

Wayne Hunter wont be back

Plaxico had no business being a starting WR this year, slow, doesn't get open, decent red zone target but provides nothing between the 20's. Won't be back either. Need to get younger at WR- most likely draft a tall fast compliment to Holmes.

It took Shonn Greene 9 games to look decent- isnt a 1a back, will need to draft/sign running back in the offseason.

No big plays on offense. Longest play of the season was a screen pass to Tomlinson. McKnight isnt the answer

Didnt go into the defense but that was the gist.

Just heard Cimini on ESPN radio...pretty much echoed this article.

Wayne Hunter wont be back

Plaxico had no business being a starting WR this year, slow, doesn't get open, decent red zone target but provides nothing between the 20's. Won't be back either. Need to get younger at WR- most likely draft a tall fast compliment to Holmes.

It took Shonn Greene 9 games to look decent- isnt a 1a back, will need to draft/sign running back in the offseason.

No big plays on offense. Longest play of the season was a screen pass to Tomlinson. McKnight isnt the answer

Didnt go into the defense but that was the gist.

Hunter wont be back, period? Not even in back up role? Hmmm. Find that hard to beleive.

Disagree with Plax, but whatever. He does things that other WR's cant do. Sanchez just doesnt know how to utilize him. He's right on target with the typical 3rd WR production for the Jets in this system with Sanchez. I'm counting Keller as WR cuz he aint a TE.

Greene isnt a game changing back, but he's far from the problem.

We never had big plays on offense. 5 from 1 player doesnt constitute consistency.

There is nothing to say about the defense. They could be just fine if they werent on the field all the damn time.

Hunter wont be back, period? Not even in back up role? Hmmm. Find that hard to beleive.

Disagree with Plax, but whatever. He does things that other WR's cant do. Sanchez just doesnt know how to utilize him. He's right on target with the typical 3rd WR production for the Jets in this system with Sanchez. I'm counting Keller as WR cuz he aint a TE.

Greene isnt a game changing back, but he's far from the problem.

We never had big plays on offense. 5 from 1 player doesnt constitute consistency.

There is nothing to say about the defense. They could be just fine if they werent on the field all the damn time.

Looking back...Freeman/McCoy would look a lot nicer than Sanchez/Greene.

The problems we had on offense is shared by many - our QB, ineffective offensive line, receivers not running crisp routes, and the play calling.

Sanchez locking on receivers and at other times receivers not even looking for the pass see Dustin--

Looking back...Freeman/McCoy would look a lot nicer than Sanchez/Greene.

Definitely. Freeman has come back to earth this year but that could be the worst team in the NFL.

McCoy might be the best RB in the NFL. Double threat, break away speed, hard to bring down, elusive, has all the moves. Guy is a stud. I'd probably take him over any RB in the league....him or MJD. What MJD is doing in that offense might be one of most impressive years for a RB I've ever seen.

Honestly, if I'm the Jets. I'd see if there is any trade interest from the Jags. They are so bad that they could use extra picks and guy like MJD is worth it IMO. He'd completely change the dynamic of this offense.

Interesting how poorly our receivers and route patterns are reviewed in that article.

The writer is lost on the running game however. If we had fed Greene all day long we had a much better chance of winning.

Sanchez is either shell shocked from the hits he's taken, hurt or just much worse than many of us thought due to lack of talent and/or coaching.

Not really. I think one of the Jets biggest problems on offense is the constant turnover at WR. Sanchez hasnt had any wrs to work with consistently so far in his career, and we are all pretty sure the wr mix will be changing again after this season. hopefully we have Holmes and Kerley who will be around together for a while, but who knows. Its hard for a QB to have confidence in his wrs when he doesnt know how they will run their routes consistently.

As far as Greene is concerned I agree with his assesment that he is "At his best Greene is a grinder and a sustainer". Is Greene really more than that?

I dont know why people feel a ground and pound run game has to revolve around a rb like Greene. Houston to me is ground and pound, but Foster can take any carry all the way, and is a much better pass catcher than Greene and can take any pass the distance as well as can many other rbs.

by Greg Cosell

Jets had no intermediate or downfield passing game, Receivers did not win v. predominant man coverage

so the point is the whole offense sucks (duh) and the conversation is all about sanchez

lo f'in l

I guess you missed all the above from the article...unless you are talking about the posts

Archived