As Jet Nation Turns: Episode One

JetNation

asworld_t.jpg

The Rex Ryan regime has been about making big brash statements.  Therefore it should not be surprising that the off-season, which is only a few days old, has been so loud and crazy.  The first two years under Rex were filled with hope as the Jets made the Championship game each season.  This year it is a different story, there are so many players chirping, it is hard to keep track of all the noise.

Welcome to As Jet Nation Turns

In this episode you will see:

• How it all started with Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez the week before the Dolphins game
  • After Holmes was seen fighting with teammates an anonymous Jets veteran said who must go in 2012
  • Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan and said that Brian Schottenheimer would be back if he doesn’t land a head coaching job
  • The battle of the backup and ex-backup quarterbacks –
  • on WFAN and did not make the situation any better
  • Boomer Esiason chimed in and said

Well that is it for Episode One Jets fans.  Next week on as Jet Nation Turns we hope to know Schotty’s fate and will have any fallout from Bart Scott’s $10,000 fine.  Bart was fined for flipping the middle finger towards a member of the media in the locker room.

There is never a dull moment for Jet Nation.

di</img>

di</img>jG0pippszy0

View the full article

Okay, Rex isn't going to get fired, and Sanchez is going to stay where he is (and hopefully get better). Period. That said, I want to look at this season as objectively as possible:

I believe in Bill Parcells' old adage, "You are what you say you are." The fact is, the Jets finished with a .500 record because, quite frankly, they played exactly like a .500 team: they beat a lot of the teams they were supposed to beat such as the Redskins, Jags and Bills, and simply weren't good enough to beat the upper echelon teams such as the Patriots and Ravens, and made too many mistakes to win against teams that they were just about equal to, such as Denver and Oakland. A combination of a weak offensive line (I've said this before that Damien Woody's retirement in August hurt the team more than they probably care to admit), conservative play calling on offense, a starting QB who's still, unfortunately making some rookie mistakes (the foremost being that he tends to hold on to the ball for way too long, and that he makes bad decisions under pressure), and a defense that had way too much trouble stopping opponents on third downs, all led to a .500 record. Who's to blame for this?

1) Rexenbaum: Rex and Mike really didn't have a backup plan when Woody retired, when Mangold got injured, and when a lot of the veteran leaders last year (in addition to Woody - Jason Taylor, Tony Richardson, Shaun Ellis, etc.) all left last year and were not replaced by starting-calibur players. Mike Tannenbaumunderestimated the importance of a lot of the players who left after the 2011 season, and it showed this year. Plax was the solution to replace Braylon Edwards? Of all of the great FA receivers out, Plax is the best solution you could come up with to replace Edwards??!! Mangold went down for two games and the only guy you had to hold the fort in his absence is a rookie? Also, the cap situation is a mess thanks to a gargantuous, multi-year contract given to the ingrate, Santonio Holmes. Also, while Rex's enthusiasm is entertaining, he has to be a bit more realistic. Too many players this season failed miserable at "playing like a Jet." It also seems that he lost control of the locker room a little bit this season with Mason's attempted coup and Holmes showing his true colors at the end.

2) Sanchez - I disagree with a lot of folks here who say Sanchez regressed. I didn't really see that. He played the way he did last year. However, I very much agree with those who say that he did NOT progress as an NFL QB. Yes, he was under a lot more pressure in the pocket this year than last year, but the fact is that he's been making the same mistakes this year as he did in his first two seasons.

3) Schotty is simply too obvious. I'll go against the common thinking here, though, that trading Derrick Mason was a mistake. From what I read, all he did was suggest to Rex and Co. that the offensive play book be opened up a little more. Mason is a good overall receiver: he's fast and runs great routes. When you've got Holmes on the othe side of the field, why would you have your QB keep throwing one yard dump pass after one yard dump pass? I don't even think those could be considered passes, but rather, pitch plays. Schotty's offense had some very good talent on it, and in the past three years he hasn't come up with game plans that utilizes all of the offense. One of the reasons the Patrios always win is because Beli-dick created game plans that took advantage of every player's strengths. Seriously, why even go out and sign Holmes, Plax and Mason if all you're going to do is throw one yard dump passes?

Okay, Rex isn't going to get fired, and Sanchez is going to stay where he is (and hopefully get better). Period. That said, I want to look at this season as objectively as possible:

I believe in Bill Parcells' old adage, "You are what you say you are." The fact is, the Jets finished with a .500 record because, quite frankly, they played exactly like a .500 team: they beat a lot of the teams they were supposed to beat such as the Redskins, Jags and Bills, and simply weren't good enough to beat the upper echelon teams such as the Patriots and Ravens, and made too many mistakes to win against teams that they were just about equal to, such as Denver and Oakland. A combination of a weak offensive line (I've said this before that Damien Woody's retirement in August hurt the team more than they probably care to admit), conservative play calling on offense, a starting QB who's still, unfortunately making some rookie mistakes (the foremost being that he tends to hold on to the ball for way too long, and that he makes bad decisions under pressure), and a defense that had way too much trouble stopping opponents on third downs, all led to a .500 record. Who's to blame for this?

1) Rexenbaum: Rex and Mike really didn't have a backup plan when Woody retired, when Mangold got injured, and when a lot of the veteran leaders last year (in addition to Woody - Jason Taylor, Tony Richardson, Shaun Ellis, etc.) all left last year and were not replaced by starting-calibur players. Mike Tannenbaumunderestimated the importance of a lot of the players who left after the 2011 season, and it showed this year. Plax was the solution to replace Braylon Edwards? Of all of the great FA receivers out, Plax is the best solution you could come up with to replace Edwards??!! Mangold went down for two games and the only guy you had to hold the fort in his absence is a rookie? Also, the cap situation is a mess thanks to a gargantuous, multi-year contract given to the ingrate, Santonio Holmes. Also, while Rex's enthusiasm is entertaining, he has to be a bit more realistic. Too many players this season failed miserable at "playing like a Jet." It also seems that he lost control of the locker room a little bit this season with Mason's attempted coup and Holmes showing his true colors at the end.

2) Sanchez - I disagree with a lot of folks here who say Sanchez regressed. I didn't really see that. He played the way he did last year. However, I very much agree with those who say that he did NOT progress as an NFL QB. Yes, he was under a lot more pressure in the pocket this year than last year, but the fact is that he's been making the same mistakes this year as he did in his first two seasons.

3) Schotty is simply too obvious. I'll go against the common thinking here, though, that trading Derrick Mason was a mistake. From what I read, all he did was suggest to Rex and Co. that the offensive play book be opened up a little more. Mason is a good overall receiver: he's fast and runs great routes. When you've got Holmes on the othe side of the field, why would you have your QB keep throwing one yard dump pass after one yard dump pass? I don't even think those could be considered passes, but rather, pitch plays. Schotty's offense had some very good talent on it, and in the past three years he hasn't come up with game plans that utilizes all of the offense. One of the reasons the Patrios always win is because Beli-dick created game plans that took advantage of every player's strengths. Seriously, why even go out and sign Holmes, Plax and Mason if all you're going to do is throw one yard dump passes?

About Rexenbaum (like that btw) -- they did have a backup plan for Mangold, it was Robert Turner. The had a backup plan for Woody but Hunter didn't pan out so that is definitely on them. Plus Hunter was already the Plan B and VLad not working out makes that draft pick miss even worse...

About Rexenbaum (like that btw) -- they did have a backup plan for Mangold, it was Robert Turner. The had a backup plan for Woody but Hunter didn't pan out so that is definitely on them. Plus Hunter was already the Plan B and VLad not working out makes that draft pick miss even worse...

Mex Ryanbaum :P

I wish it were that simply to assess our team as simple an 8-8 team. I don't buy it and here is why....Raiders we are up 17-7...Raiders adjust, we don't. And we lose. Broncos game...we are up...we have no answers on defense with less than 2 or 3 minutes to play??? come on.....Those are but 2 games,,,oh wait the final game of the year!...Team is dead...why?.....no adjustments....lack of heart and lack of discipline.....these specific games are all on the coaching...hopefully Rex will learn and adjust.

I wish it were that simply to assess our team as simple an 8-8 team. I don't buy it and here is why....Raiders we are up 17-7...Raiders adjust, we don't. And we lose. Broncos game...we are up...we have no answers on defense with less than 2 or 3 minutes to play??? come on.....Those are but 2 games,,,oh wait the final game of the year!...Team is dead...why?.....no adjustments....lack of heart and lack of discipline.....these specific games are all on the coaching...hopefully Rex will learn and adjust.

Well, as you point out, inconsistency is one of the mainstay characteristics of a .500 team. As Bill Parcells would say, "Winning solves everything." Both players and coaches were understandably upset at the end of the season, but all that gets better once you start winning. As for fundamenal problems, the Jets desperately need either a quality T and/or quality guard (both would be preferable). That should be atop Rexenbaum's list of things to do this off-season. Schottenheimer has to go, but firing would require having to pay him the rest of his contract (which I think is something like $1.7 million per year, but I could be wrong). I've read that Schottenheimer's fat contract is the reason Bill Callahan decided to leave. I'm just pointing out that the last season the Jets really were what their record said they were: a .500 team.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with Rex, other than that he has to be harder on the players and get a new OC who's actually creative. He can no longer tell players "it's okay" after they screw up. He can no longer turn his back on locker room feuds. He can longer maintain a pure ground n' pound game so long as Shonn Greene is the starting HB. He's gotta light a fire under Schotty's candy a$$ in order to get Schotty to do something effective - provided that he's still there.

Seriosuly, has Rexenbaum EVER gone up to Schotty after yet another three-and-out by the offense and screamed, "We couldn't even get ONE [bleeping] YARD???!!!!!" or "IT WAS THIRD AND LONG WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE, AND THE BEST PLAY YOU CAN COME UP WITH IS TO HAVE SANCHEZ THROW A DUMP PASS TO LT BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE???!!! YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

Well, as you point out, inconsistency is one of the mainstay characteristics of a .500 team. As Bill Parcells would say, "Winning solves everything." Both players and coaches were understandably upset at the end of the season, but all that gets better once you start winning. As for fundamenal problems, the Jets desperately need either a quality T and/or quality guard (both would be preferable). That should be atop Rexenbaum's list of things to do this off-season. Schottenheimer has to go, but firing would require having to pay him the rest of his contract (which I think is something like $1.7 million per year, but I could be wrong). I've read that Schottenheimer's fat contract is the reason Bill Callahan decided to leave. I'm just pointing out that the last season the Jets really were what their record said they were: a .500 team.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with Rex, other than that he has to be harder on the players and get a new OC who's actually creative. He can no longer tell players "it's okay" after they screw up. He can no longer turn his back on locker room feuds. He can longer maintain a pure ground n' pound game so long as Shonn Greene is the starting HB. He's gotta light a fire under Schotty's candy a$$ in order to get Schotty to do something effective - provided that he's still there.

Seriosuly, has Rexenbaum EVER gone up to Schotty after yet another three-and-out by the offense and screamed, "We couldn't even get ONE [bleeping] YARD???!!!!!" or "IT WAS THIRD AND LONG WITH THE GAME ON THE LINE, AND THE BEST PLAY YOU CAN COME UP WITH IS TO HAVE SANCHEZ THROW A DUMP PASS TO LT BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE???!!! YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

EXACTLY

Archived