2 hypotheticals, Sanchez doesn't progress...

pointman

What, exactly, has changed with the Jets' WRs and OL to support your claims that both will be better?

Hill is a project. He was a blocker rather than a receiver in college. His career receptions are less than good collegiate WRs get in a single season. Schillens has been a career backup.

The Jets are returning the same OL they had last season, including Wayne Hunter. Now, you can believe the manure that injuries were the reason that the OL couldn't give Sanchez enough time to throw, but the fact is, they were having pretty much the same problems at the end of the season as early in the season. They were a mediocre OL last season because the Jets FO has tried to replace quality starters like Damien Woody with career backups like Wayne Hunter. Worse, Sanchez holds the damned ball too long because he can't read defenses and can't recognize when receivers are open. He covers for that by throwing to his check-down receiver, usually his TE.

As for Tony Sparano waving a magic wand and turning mediocre and worse players into good ones, that's a pipe dream. First off, he's never been a real OC. Calling plays for part of a season does NOT equal being an OC, whose job includes creating an entire offense scheme. Furthermore, Sparano is a conservative "details guy" not a creative innovator (the wildcat came from Miami QB coach, David Lee, not from Sparano), and nothing in his stint as HC in Miami indicates that he has a feel for how to get the best out of players on either side of the ball.

First of all, I never said the OL will be better.

I hope the WRs will be better but there's no guarantee, obviously. Your characterization of Hill is pretty trollish, quite frankly. The man caught 28 passes for a 29 ypc average last season. Yes, they were a run first offense, but I see that as a positive in coming to the Jets where he'll be asked to do pretty much the same thing: block on running plays, get downfield on passing plays.

The WRs may not be "better," per se, but they will be faster. Faster WRs get downfield faster, and that should help with Sanchez holding the ball too long - which should help with protection.

Ditto for Sparano who, while not my first choice, will simplify the offense. The Jets don't need an offensive innovator, what they need is faster developing plays and fewer mental pauses. Schottenheimer's passing game involved so many reads that it was impossible for Sanchez to get thru his progressions. Every receiver had alternate routes to run based on coverage, whereas Tony sends the receivers in a single pattern, and it's up to them to win their matchup. That should result in faster reads for Sanchez, and fewer miscommunications between him and the receivers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez was reluctant to throw downfield? Lol! Who was he supposed to throw downfield to? He didn't have any WRs who could run last year, and he didn't have adequate protection to throw downfield to the receivers he had. This year he has two. Hill and/or Schilens will open up the whole field with their downfield speed. It'll help get that safety out of the box, and the running game should improve as a result, too.

Meanwhile, Sparano incorporates much more downfield passing than Schottenheimer ever did.

There are plenty of reasons to expect change.

How quiclkly people forget Sanchez had good numbers throwing deep his first few years it was one of the better things he did actully

First of all, I never said the OL will be better.

I hope the WRs will be better but there's no guarantee, obviously. Your characterization of Hill is pretty trollish, quite frankly. The man caught 28 passes for a 29 ypc average last season. Yes, they were a run first offense, but I see that as a positive in coming to the Jets where he'll be asked to do pretty much the same thing: block on running plays, get downfield on passing plays.

The WRs may not be "better," per se, but they will be faster. Faster WRs get downfield faster, and that should help with Sanchez holding the ball too long - which should help with protection.

Ditto for Sparano who, while not my first choice, will simplify the offense. The Jets don't need an offensive innovator, what they need is faster developing plays and fewer mental pauses. Schottenheimer's passing game involved so many reads that it was impossible for Sanchez to get thru his progressions. Every receiver had alternate routes to run based on coverage, whereas Tony sends the receivers in a single pattern, and it's up to them to win their matchup. That should result in faster reads for Sanchez, and fewer miscommunications between him and the receivers.

I believe Hill had 45 receptions in his career at GT. Most WRs taken in the first and second rounds get that many receptions or close to it in one season if they played in all the games. How is that being "trollish"? It was the very criticism made of Hill by numerous commentators when the Jets took him.

How do you know what Sparano's likes to do as an offensive coordinator? He's never designed an offense. He's simply called other people's plays. That's a big difference.

Maybe you've gleaned Sparano's likes and dislikes from watching the highlights of the OTAs. Maybe you're basing your claims on what Sparano has said about his offensive plans. Neither is real evidence that Sparano can translate his ideas into successful plays or a successful offensive scheme, and assuming that his offense will be better is wishful thinking at this point.

I believe Hill had 45 receptions in his career at GT. Most WRs taken in the first and second rounds get that many receptions or close to it in one season if they played in all the games. How is that being "trollish"? It was the very criticism made of Hill by numerous commentators when the Jets took him.

How do you know what Sparano's likes to do as an offensive coordinator? He's never designed an offense. He's simply called other people's plays. That's a big difference.

Maybe you've gleaned Sparano's likes and dislikes from watching the highlights of the OTAs. Maybe you're basing your claims on what Sparano has said about his offensive plans. Neither is real evidence that Sparano can translate his ideas into successful plays or a successful offensive scheme, and assuming that his offense will be better is wishful thinking at this point.

So you see absolutely no reason for optimism this coming season then?

Welcome to your new home for NY Jets discussion. You're sure to fit right in.

Sanchez was reluctant to throw downfield? Lol! Who was he supposed to throw downfield to? He didn't have any WRs who could run last year, and he didn't have adequate protection to throw downfield to the receivers he had. This year he has two. Hill and/or Schilens will open up the whole field with their downfield speed. It'll help get that safety out of the box, and the running game should improve as a result, too.

Meanwhile, Sparano incorporates much more downfield passing than Schottenheimer ever did.

There are plenty of reasons to expect change.

Agreed. The absence of any speed whatsoever on the offense was fairly evident. Between the loss of Edwards being able to go deep, and Brad Smith picking up those 10-15 yard chunks...we had no one who could make plays with the ball in their hands. Hopefully Hill, Schillens and Tebow can get us back to 2010 where we were at least respectable.

Archived