Live Chat With Cimini

flgreen

Chat with Rich Cimini

817-grey.gif

Print

Auto Update: OffSportsNationcimini_rich_m.jpg

Welcome to SportsNation! On Friday, ESPNNewYork.com writer Rich Cimini stops by to chat about the Jets.

Cimini, longtime Jets beat writer for the New York Daily News and a Syracuse University graduate, covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Send your questions now and join Cimini Friday at 1 p.m. ET!

More Rich Cimini: Search | ESPNNewYork.com | Chats | Blog | @RichCimini

Rich Cimini

(1:00 PM)

Hello, hello. Thanks for stopping by on your lunch hour. Plenty of post-minicamp stuff to discuss, so let's get to it.

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich, I know it was minicamp so take this for what its worth. I was impressed with D. Gananway i think he has some potential. Also i really like what i see from T Gananway in noncontact running skills. I think TG will be a factor in the running game this year. Your thoughts?

Rich Cimini

(1:03 PM)

Yes, DaMarcus Ganaway did flash at WR. Obviously, he got plenty of reps because of the hamstring epidemic. He'll be a player to watch in camp. Sorry, but I couldn't get a read on T. Ganaway. It's really hard to evaluate RBs in non-contact drills. Seems to have some elusiveness, some wiggle, but I wonder about his speed.

Geoff (Livingston, NJ)

Sounds like both Stephen Hill and Quintin Coples have been impressive so far. Who do you think will have the biggest impact on the Jets this season?

Rich Cimini

(1:05 PM)

Hill didn't do any team drills in camp because of the hammy. I think Coples will have the biggest impact. He's starting to grow on me. He has great size and wingspan. He's gonna play a lot, probably 80 to 90 pct of the snaps. If the motor is on, he will definitely raise the level of the Dline.

John (Hillsdale NJ)

Hey, Rich. I know it's early but seems like it was rough for the offense during OTA's and now minicamp. Do you think the Jets can learn this Sparano offense enough to be successful this year? Jets offense looked sloppy and confused at times last season under Schotty's system which was there since 2006 - how will they fair learning this new Sparano offense?

Rich Cimini

(1:07 PM)

Excellent question, John. It's going to take time. The offense was very spotty in minicamp, but that had to be expected. Players tell me Sparano has a way of simplifying things and emphasizing certain points. Plus, there won't be much motioning and shifting, which will make it easier to learn.

John (Hillsdale NJ)

Rich, I see last week ex-Jet Jason Taylor joined ESPN as an analyst. I'm curious what kind of money these ex NFL players make as analysts for networks?

Rich Cimini

(1:08 PM)

I'm curious, too. They ain't working for peanuts.

Derek (NY)

Rich, I know you get hounded with a lot of Braylon questions but do you think the door is closed on him returning to the Jets. I know you said Chaz has impressed but he has a history of being injury prone. Hill has hamstring issues and you never know how Holmes will behave.

Rich Cimini

(1:09 PM)

I think the Braylon door is closing ... but not completely closed. Schilens impressed in camp. He obviously has a comfort level with Sanjay Lal and that has helped him. From talking to players, I get the sense they're happy with the current cast. Rex said the same thing.

Mike (Ann Arbor, MI)

Hi Rich,Great work on here. Keep it up! My impression is that with a few tweaks, this team has a chance to be very good again although you would have thought they finished 3-13 last year with everything that is written about them. They were 8-8 and the Denver and Miami games could have gone either way. Am I wrong to believe that this team has a chance to be much improved? Thanks.

Rich Cimini

(1:11 PM)

Sure, they can be improved, but there are a lot of ifs, mostly on offense. It's a new system, same OLine that struggled, same starting RB that needed two months before he got going, inexperienced WRs, no blocking TE ... well, you get the point.

Bob (NY)

Rich, I never understood why the Jets signed Holmes over Edwards. Both are diva Wrs. However Edwards had better chemistry with Sanchez. He also was taller and more physical in the run games. Holmes just had much more baggage than Edwards coming from Pittsburgh.

Rich Cimini

(1:12 PM)

Nine out of 10 GMs would've taken Holmes over Edwards. In spite of what happened last season, the organization still believes Holmes is their best player on offense.

Michael A (Port Charlotte, FL)

LY, Jets had problems - Ryan admitted he "lost the pulse of the team". I think Rex Ryan is a good coach, potentially great. A good coach learns from his mistakes. What do you think?

Rich Cimini

(1:13 PM)

Well, we'll find out, but as I wrote last week, I give Ryan credit for admitting his mistakes and formulating a plan to correct them.

Anthony (Morristown)

Rich, love your work. You've been quiet recently with regard to Hayden Smith, the Australian TE. How did he look in minicamp? Did he impress you at all, or is he still just learning the game at this point? Thanks!

Rich Cimini

(1:15 PM)

Thanks, Anthony. Funny you mention Hayden, because there was an Australian TV crew out yesterday doing a story on him. Look, Smith is a great guy and, from what I understand, he really wants it. But he didn't have a great minicamp and he has a long way to go.

Darsh (CT)

Hi Rich, I heard Sanchez completed a really low % of his passes during mini-camp. Should I be worried about that? Because I seriously doubt he's going to be completing just 37% of his passes during the regular season.

Rich Cimini

(1:16 PM)

To be exact, he was 11-for-29 in minicamp. Obviously, if he has two or three games like that in the RS, he'll end up on the bench. I wouldn't worry, though. It's early.

Matt (Washington D.C.)

Hey Rich,If you had to guess, do you think Holmes is actually liked by anyone in the locker room? It seems like he alienates himself too much for that to happen.

Rich Cimini

(1:19 PM)

I wouldn't say he's beloved by teammates, but I will say this: He tries to help younger players in practice and he practices hard when he's out there. His teammates know he has talent, so they tolerate him...or at least they try to. Obviously, last season they got sick of him.

Kev (Nyc)

do you think the addition of tebow has helped sanchez focus? Is he any different now than when brunell was his backup?

Rich Cimini

(1:21 PM)

I don't think Tebow is the reason why Sanchez came into camp in great shape, stronger. Remember, Tebow didn't arrive until late March. But there's no question it has made Sanchez more focused on his job. It's human nature. When you feel a threat to your job, you push yourself harder.

Ian Kaufman (nyc)

What are the chances the Jets sign another halfback to compliment Shonn Greene?

Rich Cimini

(1:21 PM)

Don't see that happening.

Jimmy (Huntington)

Rich: From my understanding, If Revis holds out, their is a clause in his contract that extends his rights another year to the Jets. If this is accurate, why would Revis holdout, and why would the Jets renegotiate his contract....just wait until next year. How much more could Revis squeeze out of them if they did wait?

Rich Cimini

(1:23 PM)

You're right, there's a clause: If he's a holdout, the deal extends through 2016 -- and he'd make "only" $9M total in 14, 15 and 16. But, honestly, I don't think that will be much of a deterrent

Luke (NY)

In the Daily News today Gary Myers wrote that Sanchez might be the most immature quarterback in the league. The Jets are in a world of trouble, I mean he is going into his fourth year.

Rich Cimini

(1:24 PM)

Unless I missed something, I don't think Gary has interviewed (or even met) every QB. But I respect Gary as a reporter and he has been consistent in his belief that Sanchez is immature.

Mike T. (Boston MA)

What do the Jets see in Wayne Hunter that the rest of the world doesn't, and why?

Rich Cimini

(1:27 PM)

Hunter has terrific athleticism. Any of his teammates will tell you that. He really wants to be good, but he has a tendency to press and get down on himself when adversity strikes. The Jets are trying to work with him to get past that.

Ben (NY)

Rich, what did you think of Revis' comment about him not being a distraction. This guy will never be satisfied with his contract even if the Jets do sign him to a long term deal.

Rich Cimini

(1:27 PM)

Actually, it might be a welcomed distraction in camp. Could take the focus of the QBs.

lucas (new york )

hey rich, any possible chance of getting drew coleman back ?

Rich Cimini

(1:28 PM)

Unlikely. They seem happy with Lankster as the No. 4 CB. If Coleman is willing to play for the minimum, maybe.

Bill (NY)

Rich, do you really think that it is good bye Leonard. It would be good to sign him for depth and he is better in coverage than what they have. Plus, he knows the defense and is a good teammate. The Jets need more of them.

Rich Cimini

(1:30 PM)

Unless there's an injury (Landry?), I think we've seen the last of Leonhard. And it's too bad because he was an important part of the defense. But they think Bush can be the fourth safety.

Jim (Columbus, OH)

Has Antionio Allen done anything so far? I was hoping to see some reports about him by now.

Rich Cimini

(1:31 PM)

You're right, he's been quiet. Basically, he's learning a new position. At SC, he was an in-the-box safety, almost like a LB. Here, he's learning to play in space. I don't see him contributing this year, except maybe on special teams.

Pandalero (Long Island/Phoenix)

Thanks for featuring my Revis question in the chat wrap on the blog last week! Regarding Jets West, I don't recall seeing any rookie names on the list for this year... I'm concerned mostly with Hill and T. Ganaway. Shouldn't those guys make the trip and participate as they are both likely to be the most used rookies on offense?

Rich Cimini

(1:32 PM)

You're right, I don't think Hill and Ganaway are attending. It's not the end of the world.

Sheldon (NY)

Why was Bill Polian at Jets Minicamp? A possible future job with the organization?

Rich Cimini

(1:33 PM)

No, I think he was there as an ESPN analyst, observing and gathering info. I found it weird, because going back a few years, the Jets didn't have a good relationship with him.

D (NNJ)

Do you think are gonna line up in 43 fronts or 34?

Rich Cimini

(1:33 PM)

Both.

Derek (NY)

How has Demario Davis, Bush, Ganaway, and Allen looked so far?

Rich Cimini

(1:34 PM)

Davis and Bush have been praised by the coaches. Allen is struggling a bit. Ganaway has been ok.

Don Ho (CT)

I heard Cumberland looked terrible and Hayden Smith is still having major growing pains. Jets still need a blocking TE, do you see that happening?

Rich Cimini

(1:35 PM)

Yes, I would say it's their No. 1 need right now. Cumberland wasn't terrible, but he was inconsistent. As I said earlier, Smith is finding out how hard it is to play in the NFL.

Michael (NY)

Rich, whats the story with the jerseys? I remember when Nike debuted their jerseys they said their will be teams with new alternate jerseys, are the Jets one of them? Those black jerseys the defense wore are awesome. An alternate uniform with the white helmet, black jersey and white pants would be awesome. Also, if the Jets are to continue wearing throwbacks, they should be from the 1990's. Even though those teams were pretty bad. The Jets are gang green after all. Enough with those titans jerseys they are horrible.

Rich Cimini

(1:37 PM)

If you're referring to the black jerseys worn yesterday by the defense, that was a motivational ploy by the coaches, rewarding the unit for "winning" the camp. Shades of the "black shirt" tradition at Nebraska.

D (NNJ)

Which rookie impressed you the most this week?

Rich Cimini

(1:37 PM)

Coples, not even close.

Pandalero (Long Island/Phoenix)

The Aussie TE tweeted a pic of Jets cafeteria food the other day... chicken, pasta, broccoli, potatoes, and lobster. Does the media get to indulge in that spread too?

Rich Cimini

(1:39 PM)

No way ... and that's a good thing. I'd be 200+ pounds if that was our spread.

Jimmy (CT)

Are you concerned with Depth at Center after watching Mangold go down and seeing Baxter play last year? Seems like a hurt Mangold could easily cost the Jets a few games.

Rich Cimini

(1:40 PM)

It's a definite concern. They've been trying Calen Schlauderaff there. You would hope they learned a lesson from last season.

Tony (Richmond, CA)

What is your prediction for Quinton Coples career in NY? Will he live up to his first round status? Or be another flop like Vernon Gholston?

Rich Cimini

(1:41 PM)

I can guarantee this: he won't be another Gholston. He's already done more than Gholston ever did. Will he be great? I don't know. He has the physical tools. In preseason, we'll find out about the passion.

Matt (Fair Lawn, NJ)

Hey, Rich, I look at the current depth chart for the Jets and the roster and realize after Shonn Greene the Jets don't really have a liable second back except for Joe McKnight who still has to prove himself. Do you see the Jets either trading for a RB or looking at the free agent market? Thanks!

Rich Cimini

(1:43 PM)

I think they're gonna stand pat, with Powell and Ganaway also factoring into the mix.

PJ (Sea Girt)

Just a hypothetical, but if a player threatens to hold out because he wants more money and that player already represents a large percentage of the salary cap, do reporters ever ask the player if he considers that his demands will result in someone else on the team being cut, or making less? Do they ever ask the player who they specifically think should be cut, or paid less? Is that considered bad form to the point that a reporter won't ask that question? This is just a hypothetical, its not a D. Revis question.

Rich Cimini

(1:48 PM)

Very interesting question, PJ. I've heard that question in the past, but not specifically with Revis. But here's the deal: Sometimes a new deal can lower a player's cap number (i.e. Sanchez), thereby creating more room for other players. It's not always black and white, as you can see.

Matt (Madison)

Hey Rich, Great work this week. I realize that it's only June but based on what I've read the offense is sluggish and Sanchez laid an egg yesterday. Should we be concerned or was this just a bad week?

Rich Cimini

(1:49 PM)

Bad week. Don't panic. Let's at least give him the first week of camp. Kidding.

Ethan (San Diego)

Thanks for taking time to chat Rich. Will the added talent on defensive line, it seems that the Jets may use more 4-3 looks. If that is the case, which linebackers do you think will be on the field and who takes a seat?

Rich Cimini

(1:51 PM)

Definitely more 4-3 looks.I've seen Pace, Harris and Scott and LB, but there are times when Pace will be a DE. In that case, you could see Harris, Scott and maybe Davis at LB. Here's the deal: When you play 4-3, you need LBs that can run -- and Davis is the only true 4-3 OLB.

Tony (Hoboken)

Who do you see having the better season, the Bills or the Jets?

Rich Cimini

(1:52 PM)

The Bills have improved, but I still think the Jets are better.

Jim (NYC)

Rich, great offseason coverage! Here's what kills me about the Tebow thing - talking heads always ask what fans will say when sanchez throws a pick...my question is what are those same fans going to do when Tebow goes 19 straight 3-and-outs?! I say no way Tebow starts a game besides injury-related.

Rich Cimini

(1:53 PM)

Fair point. Because of the wildcat, the Jets have the ability to play Tebow a lot without having to bench Sanchez.

James (New York)

Do you realize you ALWAYS answer a question from Ira first, and often answer two of his questions in one chat session while ignoring questions from others?

Rich Cimini

(1:54 PM)

You're probably right, but Ira usually submits the first question. I didn't think it would make you jealous.

Dave (Baltimore)

I feel like this year we could see the best defense the Jets have had under Rex Ryan. With the youthful additions of Coples and Davis, a slimmer Bart Scott, Bell fitting in well, and improved play from Wilkerson and Ellis do you think this could be a banner defensive year for the Jets?

Rich Cimini

(1:55 PM)

Sounds like you've been listening to Rex. They should be a top 5 defense, but the best? Still have coverage issues at safety, still speed issues at LB, still pass-rush questions.

Jim (NYC)

Hey Rich, does the Hill injury have any affect on signing Braylon?

Rich Cimini

(1:56 PM)

No, Hill isn't that banged up. Participated in positional drills and seemed to be running well.

JOSEPH (STATEN ISLAND)

RICH I KNOW YOUR SKEPTICAL BUT I THINK IF THE JETS GO BACK TO GROUND AND POUND, AND WITH THE ADDITION OF BELL AND LANDRY ALONG WITH THE SPEED WE ADDED IN THE DRAFT WE WILL BE BACK IN THE PLAYOFFS. YOUR THOUGHTS?

Rich Cimini

(1:57 PM)

YOU'RE RIGHT, I'M SKEPTICAL. CAN THEY RUN IT WELL ENOUGH TO PLAY GROUND AND POUND? DON'T KNOW.

Matt (Madison)

Rich, What were your initial impressions with the revamped S positions? Will Smith, Bell, Landry and Allen be able to hold their own in coverage?

Rich Cimini

(1:58 PM)

Bell struggled last season in coverage for Miami. So did Smith with the Jets. Landry? Depends on his foot. Allen won't play; he'll be a special teamer.

Tony (Hoboken)

Are you going to see "That's My Boy", the Adam Sandler movie? (Or have you?)

Rich Cimini

(1:59 PM)

I'll probably see it at some point. Heard the early newspaper reviews weren't too promising. Has Sandler made a good movie since Happy Gilmore?

IRA (Staten Island)

Rich, Imagine a sit down with Revis, Tebow,Sanchez and Holmes at the Roscoe Dinner with the media. Now that would be better then Hard Knocks!

Rich Cimini

(2:00 PM)

You're assuming they'd let Holmes sit with them.

Ethan (San Diego)

Rich, great job as always. Reading your updates from practice every day, I feel that I notice a lot of "sacks" being made. Is this due to QBs holding onto the ball too long, great D-Line play, or more struggles from the O-Line?

Rich Cimini

(2:01 PM)

Wouldn't read too much into minicamp "sacks." As Brandon Moore told me, "We're not allowed to hit them" -- pass rushers, he meant.

Rich Cimini

(2:03 PM)

Wow, that hour flew by. Great questions, as per usual. A reminder: Make sure to check out Stony Brook in the CWS on ESPN2 at 5. Great story and a heck of a baseball team. Check back next week for our final chat before vacation. Take care, Rich

IRA (Staten Island)

"Rich, Imagine a sit down with Revis, Tebow,Sanchez and Holmes at the Roscoe Dinner with the media. Now that would be better then Hard Knocks!"

Rich Cimini

(2:00 PM)

"You're assuming they'd let Holmes sit with them."

Have to say that really made me LOL

Does Ira from Staten Island have any sort of real employment at all? Serious question. There's no way anyone can keep up with every ******* outlet at this level.

I believe he owns an auto parts store on Long(?) Island. I admire his fan passion thing, but if I were making an Ira from Staten Island movie, it'd end with him in a grungy hotel room outside Buffalo, shooting himself in the temple after losing to the Bills 9-7 when Shonn Greene gets tackled for a safety by Mario Williams with 27 seconds left.

Archived