Jets Top 25 No. 22-----------------

flgreen

JETS TOP 25: No. 22 Joe McKnight

10:56 AM, June 26, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

As the Jets enter the quiet part of the summer between the spring program and training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players on the Jets roster. Each weekday we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into training camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. Hope you enjoy.

No. 22: JOE McKNIGHT

Position: Running Back/ Kick Returner

How acquired: Taken in the fourth round of the 2010 Draft

Contract status: 2 years, $1.3 million left

How he did in 2011: McKnight exploded in his second season for the Jets as a kick returner. He

replaced Brad Smith in the role and ended up leading the NFL with an average of 31.6 yards per return. He returned one kickoff for a touchdown and came close on several others.

McKnight was not used as a running back much in 2011. He had just 43 rushes for 134 yards. He also had 13 catches for 139 yards. Coaches remained frustrated with McKnight last season for his lack of running discipline. They would like to see him hit holes harder.

McKnight had some injury issues last season. He hurt his elbow and shoulder in December and that limited his effectiveness down the stretch.

Outlook for 2012: This is a big year for McKnight. The Jets feel the 2010 Draft class was hurt more than anyone by last year’s lockout because they have not had a full offseason with coaches.

Now, McKnight has gotten coaching and he’s also gotten bigger. McKnight added 16 pounds this offseason (he credits McDonalds). He hopes that helps him become more a force between the tackles. The question is how it will affect his speed, particularly on returns.

With LaDainian Tomlinson retired, McKnight figures to take over the third-down back role. McKnight is one of those guys who always shows a ton of potential. Now, it’s time to see if develops.

McKnight said this spring that Tony Sparano’s offense has been easier for him to understand. If that is true, a lot of things seem to be coming together for McKnight and he could be ready for a breakout season.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_top_no_joe_mcknight_VrHDJhLKEJlBBXLF3K5UfO#ixzz1yvx9ESjP

Archived