That Bell/Landry fumble play...

stoicsentry

It hasn't gotten much mention this week, but it's worthy of discussion. What the heck were they doing???

If you watch the clip again, it looks like they might have even planned that. Landry kinda hangs just a couple feet behind and you can see him calling for the ball a few times before Bell actually makes the lateral.

Landry and Bell were great in week 1, but that play was just stupid.

The Jets practice that play. Rexs philosophy is always that if the defender gets the ball you want to try to score with it so they do the laterals. Ive seen them try it before at least in the preseason, but this is the first year he has more athletic safeties to try it with. Teams in the past have done it, but usually that would be to try to get the ball in the hands of the playmaker on the field. I think it was a Ravens thing where it became a lateral fest where everyone is involved simply because the offense was so inept from 2000-2008 that their best chance of winning came on defensive scores.

What? That's always been a feature of Ryan's defenses. Players are always looking for laterals.

I honestly feel they should be used more anyways, and not just on defensive plays.

Co-sign. I like seeing them be aggressive and opportunistic on turnovers. It's not like offensive players are adept at tackling or poking the ball loose.

Archived