Cimi: No Shortage of Jets News this Week. Storylines to watch

flgreen

W2W4: Free agency week (and other stuff)

March, 11, 2013
Mar 11

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

There will be no shortage of Jets news this week. Storylines to watch:

1. Free agency: They're trying to re-sign DT Mike DeVito before Tuesday afternoon's opening bell. The Jets appear willing to let their other key free agents hit the market -- S LaRon Landry, TE Dustin Keller, RG Brandon Moore and RB Shonn Greene. It wouldn't be a shock if they lose them all over the next couple of weeks. The Jets will shop for low-cost alternatives, but you get the feeling new GM John Idzik won't rush into anything.

2. The Darrelle Revis situation: It was a relatively slow Sunday in the NFL, but there was an awful lot Revis propaganda in the blogosphere. Gee, wonder why. In reality, nothing has changed. The Jets are proceeding slowly, waiting until Revis gets healthy before they seriously consider trading him -- or, in a less likely scenario, signing him to an extension. (By the way, they did have a conversation with the Broncos.) They haven't negotiated with Revis' agents, but that's hardly news.

It may not be fast enough for some people, but the Jets are ready to let this play out until the April 25 draft -- and maybe longer. Bill Parcells joined the Revis debate Sunday. Speaking on ESPN's Free Agency special, Parcells said, "Fifteen million (a year) for a corner? Not me." Speaking of money, Revis is due a $1 million roster bonus on Saturday.

3. Santonio Holmes: The Jets want Holmes to reduce his team-high $11 million base salary, and the two sides have been in talks for a couple of weeks. The prediction here is they will find a landing spot (pardon the Mike Tannenbaum-ism). Holmes is guaranteed $7.5 million whether he's on the team or not. He knows his 2013 earnings max out at $7.5 million if he's released, so there's some financial motivation to stick around, assuming the Jets have less than a $3.5 million cut in mind.

4. Money matters: Aside from Revis, two other players have big roster bonuses coming their way -- C Nick Mangold ($3 million) and CB Antonio Cromartie ($2.3 million). The Jets could try to create more cap room by asking one or both to restructure, taking the bonus as a signing bonus and pro-rating the amount over the length of the contract for cap purposes. On another subject, they have to tender their restricted free agents. The key name is RT Austin Howard, who likely will receive a second-round tender ($2 million).

5. Tim Tebow: Is this the week?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get the hugest hard-on if they straight-up released Santonio Holmes.

That is all.

If that happens Holmes is even stupider then I thought.  The max he can make this year, on any other team then the Jets, is 7.5 million.  The Jets are probably offering him in the area of 8.5 or so, saving 2.5 million.

The only way he leaves is if they are offering him like 5, figuring no other team is going to pay him more because of the injury, and his general doucheyness.  

Also, if they let Keller, Landry, etc walk, I think that'll pretty much put an end to the debate over whether or not Idzik gives a sh*t about keeping Rex employed beyond 2013.

Not really.  Greene’s gone.  They have no use for him.  Keller is easily replaceable in either the draft or FA.  Landry is still a major injury risk.  Only way he is back is if no body else wants him, and he come cheap.

There are also a lot of FA’s and people in the draft at S.  I don’t think the Jets lose much competitive edge by letting them all walk

Not really. Greene’s gone. They have no use for him. Keller is easily replaceable in either the draft or FA. Landry is still a major injury risk. Only way he is back is if no body else wants him, and he come cheap.

There are also a lot of FA’s and people in the draft at S. I don’t think the Jets lose much competitive edge by letting them all walk

Eh. it's still a huge task to replace 7 starters (8 if Revis is trades), and expect to win right away. Even if you replace them via hitting on all your draft picks and low-level free agents, Rex would have to be Coach of the Year to win with all that change.

If that happens Holmes is even stupider then I thought. The max he can make this year, on any other team then the Jets, is 7.5 million. The Jets are probably offering him in the area of 8.5 or so, saving 2.5 million.

The only way he leaves is if they are offering him like 5, figuring no other team is going to pay him more because of the injury, and his general doucheyness.

It might actually be in Holmes' interest to take the $7.5 million dollar check, then go sign a one-year deal in Denver or New England, where he'd put up numbers which he could use to get a new contract. If he stays here, sure he'll get an extra mil, but he'll catch 50 passes on a bad team with no QB and end up on the street in 2014.

Also, if they let Keller, Landry, etc walk, I think that'll pretty much put an end to the debate over whether or not Idzik gives a sh*t about keeping Rex employed beyond 2013.

Yeah with those guys gone he's pretty much sealing Rex's fate. We're they also his bestest friends on the whole planet and that's why Idzik is letting them go? What's this narrative? The one year safety and the 10 games a year half a TE were full out "Rex guys," Idzik ID'd that, and decided to put another dagger in there after that super special, super anti-Rex Scott cut?

Yeah with those guys gone he's pretty much sealing Rex's fate. We're they also his bestest friends on the whole planet and that's why Idzik is letting them go? What's this narrative?

No, no. I'm sure stripping the roster down to its bare bones is a huge endorsement of a coach on a one-year deal, and a great boon to his chances of getting an extension. He can be the best 4-12 coach in th'league, boyitellya.

No, no. I'm sure stripping the roster down to its bare bones is a huge endorsement of a coach on a one-year deal, and a great boon to his chances of getting an extension. He can be the best 4-12 coach in th'league, boyitellya.

....Now the team is 4-12. You're ******* beyond punchable sometimes man...mostly because I know people on this board take the sh*t you say seriously and as some kind of real analysis.

What are you even talking about here? Keeping Dustin Keller and resigning Landry would be an endorsement for Rex? How? How does paying the third best DB, one with a massive injury history, somehow help Rex OR Idzik? Now Rex has a big money safety that can get hurt at any moment and Idzik has that contract on his resume, this would be GOOD for both of then? Are you sure Rex and Idzik wouldn't bond over the bitch fest that happens the second either guy misses time in your story time head? **** off with this nonsense man....its infuriatingly non-critical and done totally to feed people T0mmy's head narrative rather than give any kind of real thought to the situation. Keeping the 38 year old LB on one knee would be an endorsement? Rex Ryan was in love with the undersized, pass catcher only TE drafted by Mangini? That was a cornerstone in the Ryan regime now? The guy who shat his pants when Ray Lewis was honing in on him? That guy? That's a priority Ryan guy now?

Now you...hate Landry?

But, yeah, I feel pretty confident that the 2013 Jets, coming off a 6-10 season where they lost to winning teams by an average of two TDs, having shed eight starters, and without adding significant upgrades at the QB spot, with no cap space, and probably dealing away their best player, will not improve on that 6-10, rather, they will do worse than 6-10.

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE: They might play against Ryan Lindley every week, in which case they'll finish 9-7.

This dude called the FAN the other day and I swear he was the embodiment of you. He starts defending Rex, and the host asks the guy what Rex has to accomplish to keep his job. After stumbling around for thirty seconds, the guy finally says, "uh, he's just gotta keep the locker room from 'sploding."

Jets football, baby.

....Now the team is 4-12. You're ******* beyond punchable sometimes man...mostly because I know people on this board take the sh*t you say seriously and as some kind of real analysis.

Oh sweet irony.  Just to be clear, because most people on this board take what Tom says more seriously than what you say doesn't really mean anyone really takes it all that seriously.

Oh sweet irony. Just to be clear, because most people on this board take what Tom says more seriously than what you say doesn't really mean anyone really takes it all that seriously.

Exactly. I was like, who the **** are these people he's talking about?

This dude called the FAN the other day and I swear he was the embodiment of you. He starts defending Rex, and the host asks the guy what Rex has to accomplish to keep his job. After stumbling around for thirty seconds, the guy finally says, "uh, he's just gotta keep the locker room from 'sploding."

Jets football, baby.

Rotfl yep. I'm all about locker room chemistry...that's like the backbone of my argument. I'm the guy talking about how Keller/Landry is a clearing of Rex guys...who focused on Scott's emotional support and friendship as a reason why Idzik clearly hates Rex, cutting his bestest friend in the whole widest world. That's just the direction I go...heart...soul...chemistry...Love...

What are you even talking about here? Keeping Dustin Keller and resigning Landry would be an endorsement for Rex? How? How does paying the third best DB, one with a massive injury history, somehow help Rex OR Idzik? Now Rex has a big money safety that can get hurt at any moment and Idzik has that contract on his resume, this would be GOOD for both of then? Are you sure Rex and Idzik wouldn't bond over the bitch fest that happens the second either guy misses time in your story time head? **** off with this nonsense man....its infuriatingly non-critical and done totally to feed people T0mmy's head narrative rather than give any kind of real thought to the situation. Keeping the 38 year old LB on one knee would be an endorsement? Rex Ryan was in love with the undersized, pass catcher only TE drafted by Mangini? That was a cornerstone in the Ryan regime now? The guy who shat his pants when Ray Lewis was honing in on him? That guy? That's a priority Ryan guy now?

Agreed.  Tom is trash.  

It's funny that you're crying over 2 players. One of whom is pretty much the worst statistically at his position in the NFL and the other who while he was good last year, is just getting older and is coming off his only healthy season in forever in his contract year. There is a reason that Landry is on top of every Free Agent bust list i've seen.

I jus want to know why Landry/Keller getting extensions would be seen as an endorsement. Especially Landry...I like Landry alot as a player but that doesn't mean I want the Jets to be dumb enough to give him 30 million. This couldn't be more true if the choice is between him and Revis...Revis all day err day, early.

Rotfl yep. I'm all about locker room chemistry...that's like the backbone of my argument. I'm the guy talking about how Keller/Landry is a clearing of Rex guys...who focused on Scott's emotional support and friendship as a reason why Idzik clearly hates Rex, cutting his bestest friend in the whole widest world. That's just the direction I go...heart...soul...chemistry...Love...

It was more in reference to the position that Rex has to do nothing tangible to keep his job, as if he gets to be Coach For Life because he beat Manning and Brady three years ago.

It was more in reference to the position that Rex has to do nothing tangible to keep his job, as if he gets to be Coach For Life because he beat Manning and Brady three years ago.

Who said Ryan doesn't have to do anything to keep his job? Im just trying to apply more than your basic level context and and thought process...went 6-10 without his best players = LOST THE LOCKER ROOM, TIME TO FIRE.

Idzik loves Rex.  He said so calling him a great strength for this team.  Thinks he's one of the best HC's in the league.  Which he is.  Get over it.  

I jus want to know why Landry/Keller getting extensions would be seen as an endorsement. Especially Landry...I like Landry alot as a player but that doesn't mean I want the Jets to be dumb enough to give him 30 million. This couldn't be more true if the choice is between him and Revis...Revis all day err day, early.

Rex is on a one-year deal. Rex needs to generate evidence to prove that he's a worthwhile head coach moving forward. Rex will have to do that with rookies and low-end free agents. This is a difficult task.

Either:

A. Idzik is pulling the rug out from under Rex's feet by tearing the team down, with the knowledge that this is a lost year (aka Conventional Wisdom)

-or-

B. Rex is so secure in his job that Rex has to win absolutely nothing to keep it, thus losing 8 starters and replacing them with said rookies and free agents matters not. This is true despite the fact that Rex has not received any extension. (aka thafuq?)

Who said Ryan doesn't have to do anything to keep his job? Im just trying to apply more than your basic level context and and thought process... went 6-10 without his best players = LOST THE LOCKER ROOM, TIME TO FIRE.

AKA being contrarian while providing no real analysis other than that anyone who think The Jets are rebuilding is a paranoid goofball.

Rex is on a one-year deal. Rex needs to generate evidence to prove that he's a worthwhile head coach moving forward. Rex will have to do that with rookies and low-end free agents. This is a difficult task.

Either:

A. Idzik is pulling the rug out from under Rex's feet by tearing the team down, with the knowledge that this is a lost year (aka Conventional Wisdom)

-or-

B. Rex is so secure in his job that Rex has to win absolutely nothing to keep it, thus losing 8 starters and replacing them with said rookies and free agents matters not. This is true despite the fact that Rex has not received any extension. (aka thafuq?)

i think it just comes down to how well the D performs again. If the D is dominant rex keeps his job. Its pretty much unreasonable to expect the offense to get much better unless we deviate from sanchez (which doesnt look likely)

i think it just comes down to how well the D performs again. If the D is dominant rex keeps his job. Its pretty much unreasonable to expect the offense to get much better unless we deviate from sanchez (which doesnt look likely)

1. How will the defense be dominant when they're dumping five, possibly six starters off of it, including Revis?

2. If the defense is statistically top-ten, but the team goes 6-10 again, you think Rex keeps his job?

1. How will the defense be dominant when they're dumping five, possibly six starters off of it, including Revis?

2. If the defense is statistically top-ten, but the team goes 6-10 again, you think Rex keeps his job?

Well i think rex is a good D coach so with his new draft picks / young players getting better i think they get better overall. Heck I could argue getting rid of bart scott and those other players helps the D (im kinda scared about our saftyeys

ummm id say if D is top 5 yes

Well i think rex is a good D coach so with his new draft picks / young players getting better i think they get better overall. Heck I could argue getting rid of bart scott and those other players helps the D (im kinda scared about our saftyeys

ummm id say if D is top 5 yes

Rex will not be a good HEAD coach, no matter how well his defense plays, until he stops being inept on how to run an offense. 

Archived