Exclusive Interview: Demario Davis, LB NYJ

F.Chowds

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After him there was Mauga another young player who got a look this past season, though I get that there's probably a reason he doesn't count. 'Cause boylemmetellya, anything that can be said to spin 2012 into the latest and worstest will be said until they're all dead. 

Mauga doesn't count because he played 4% of the defensive snaps.

Q: If, as you've stated many times, it was "obvious" that Scott and Pace would be cut as part of a gradual two-year rebuild, and that they weren't going to re-sign Bell and/or Landry, and with the team dead in the water by mid-season, why is Rex playing guys that he knew (according to InsiderGato) weren't going to be back in 2013?

Q: If, as you've stated many times, it was "obvious" that Scott and Pace would be cut as part of a gradual two-year rebuild, and that they weren't going to re-sign Bell and/or Landry, and with the team dead in the water by mid-season, why is Rex playing guys that he knew (according to InsiderGato) weren't going to be back in 2013?

There was no football reason to take those guys off the field.

OR I think he's a master of spin weaving yet another entirely believable web for his students at JN to fall into. Watch the games and those guys saw the field. Maybe not as much as whatever arbitrary fan number they "should have" played, but certainly enough for the *team* to have game tape to look at and break down to go with whatever practice tape. 

1. Picking the injured 6th round WR as the example goes to show how poorly thought out the comment was. 

2. Hard for US to evaluate guys we don't notice on the field, and pretending they didn't see the field is not going to build progress. These are players they scouted extremely recently (the majority being 2012 draft guys), probably have some idea of where they want that player to be in three years going back to last year, and practice/coach/train on a daily basis. This is less of an opportunity and less valid to evaluate rookies because some fans and anonymous veterans are miffed? 

3. Yeah, what an issue the coach wants to win...Typical Jets fan hindsight based double think bullsh*t...The Jets weren't even officially out of the playoff hunt until Week 15 so "lost" hardly fits, and guys who could play and earned play (Coples, Davis, and Allen) were on the field. 

4. This IMO speaks to Ryan's desire to win football games rather than tank a season because the Jet fans are angry about the latest thing to be angry about. 

-first part...I watched the games and you sound insane. 

1. Again, it was in reference to all the young players/rookies. Although White's name is mentioned, in particular, I think you you're being too insistent drawing all conclusion back to just White. 

2. I never mentioned anything about the need for any of us"fans" to evaluate any of these players. I will however strongly disagree that the FO and/or coaching staff can make a solid determination or evaluation on any young player who barely sees the field and is buried on a depth chart behind the seasoned vet (on the last year of a contract or rental or soon to be salary cut), thus not seeing any reps in game or during practice.

3. When it's clear your team isn't in contention, yeah, imo a HC should have been playing younger guys/rookies. Funny even the PLAYERS ON TEAM seem to agree with this. 

4. I'm concerned it's more about Rex Ryan worried about bragging rights and top 10 defenses every year, i.e. his resume, than the long term success of the NY Jets. 

Gato cited him as proof--excuse me, "proof"--that Rex played young players.

He played 14% of the snaps and I believe he was dinged up during that time.  It is a significant number of snaps considering that he had Scott ahead of him and they were working Davis into the mix.  Now I hear Davis only played in one game.  Interesting since he had more than 3 games with over 40 snaps.  He had 10 games with more than 10 snaps.  I don't see killing a coach for not overloading these kids and bringing them along.  Bush and Davis in particular looked overmatched at times and just leaving them out there to get lost is probably not good for the development.

He played 14% of the snaps and I believe he was dinged up during that time. It is a significant number of snaps considering that he had Scott ahead of him and they were working Davis into the mix. Now I hear Davis only played in one game. Interesting since he had more than 3 games with over 40 snaps. He had 10 games with more than 10 snaps. I don't see killing a coach for not overloading these kids and bringing them along. Bush and Davis in particular looked overmatched at times and just leaving them out there to get lost is probably not good for the development.

Would you rather have Bush and Davis look lost in Weeks 12-17 in a lost season, or would you rather have them look lost at the beginning of this season?

He played 14% of the snaps and I believe he was dinged up during that time.  It is a significant number of snaps considering that he had Scott ahead of him and they were working Davis into the mix.  Now I hear Davis only played in one game.  Interesting since he had more than 3 games with over 40 snaps.  He had 10 games with more than 10 snaps.  I don't see killing a coach for not overloading these kids and bringing them along.  Bush and Davis in particular looked overmatched at times and just leaving them out there to get lost is probably not good for the development.

Calvin Pace and Bart Scott looked overmatched too. And I get Bell played like the solid vet but it seemed, at least to me, he, of all players, was a one year rental. Why not let the younger guys take their lumps? 

Interestingly, it seems a lot of the players in the locker room agreed. 

A couple of things to consider before we add bullet #1,685 on why Rex Ryan is the worstest HC ever.

- the Jets were in the playoff hunt in week 15.  Probably not the optimal time to be trying out youngsters

- the Jets were starting a couple of veterans, on a 1 year flier (Bell and Landry), probably not going to attract a lot of vets to come play in a contract year if your coach is going to bench them for players who are not as good so they can get a look meanwhile hurting their next contract

- all those youngsters did see more time after week 15, specifically, Bush, Davis, McIntyre, White, Reuland - all got some PT in those trash weeks.

- some of those guys, were playing there last games as a Jet.  And while us super smart fans dont appreciate loyalty to players, guys who gave the Jets their blood sweat and tears deserve better than that.  Its like starting your benching warmers on Senior night.

I know.  I'm stupid and gay so these points dont matter, boyItellya

Would you rather have Bush and Davis look lost in Weeks 12-17 in a lost season, or would you rather have them look lost at the beginning of this season?

Calvin Pace and Bart Scott looked overmatched too. And I get Bell played like the solid vet but it seemed, at least to me, he, of all players, was a one year rental. Why not let the younger guys take their lumps? 

Interestingly, it seems a lot of the players in the locker room agreed. 

I would rather not "throw them to the lions" Developing players is just that.  Developing them.  Teaching them and using them in situations that fit thier skillsets.  I don't think that Davis or Bush would necessarily have been helped by more playing time.  Same goes for Coples who everybody here is in love with, but I did not see on the field enough to determine he is a future monster.  

Davis looks like he will be good, but I personally noticed him jump into the wrong hole on numerous running plays.  That shouldn't be easy to do watching the CBS feed on bar televisions.  I think he was better served by being pulled and taught rather than leaving him out there to try and figure it out.  

Bush may not even be a capable player.  IMO the fact that he got any run down the stretch is due to them wanting to develop a younger player. Allen appears to be a situational player who might not even have a ceiling as every down S. 

The defense was not bad. It didn't make sense to overhaul it.  It made sense to bring these players along and give them situational reps and letting them earn and learn their way.

On offense it may be a different story.  OTOH, they got snaps for Ducasse and you guys slaughtered them for it. The younger backs got increasing reps during the year and responded by getting hurt. Jordan White?  LOL.  He sucked and was consistently injured.  Who else were they holding back?  All I have read for the past year is that the Jets roster is one of the worst in the league and a particular problem is lack of depth.  Now you want to crucify the coach for not (over)using that depth?  GTFO

I would rather not "throw them to the lions" Developing players is just that. Developing them. Teaching them and using them in situations that fit thier skillsets. I don't think that Davis or Bush would necessarily have been helped by more playing time. Same goes for Coples who everybody here is in love with, but I did not see on the field enough to determine he is a future monster.

Davis looks like he will be good, but I personally noticed him jump into the wrong hole on numerous running plays. That shouldn't be easy to do watching the CBS feed on bar televisions. I think he was better served by being pulled and taught rather than leaving him out there to try and figure it out.

Bush may not even be a capable player. IMO the fact that he got any run down the stretch is due to them wanting to develop a younger player. Allen appears to be a situational player who might not even have a ceiling as every down S.

The defense was not bad. It didn't make sense to overhaul it. It made sense to bring these players along and give them situational reps and letting them earn and learn their way.

On offense it may be a different story. OTOH, they got snaps for Ducasse and you guys slaughtered them for it. The younger backs got increasing reps during the year and responded by getting hurt. Jordan White? LOL. He sucked and was consistently injured. Who else were they holding back? All I have read for the past year is that the Jets roster is one of the worst in the league and a particular problem is lack of depth. Now you want to crucify the coach for not (over)using that depth? GTFO

How can you say all this when you knew by W10 the team was getting gutted? It didn't make sense to overhaul the Defense? Looks like three starters are returning. Maybe for a fan, we wouldn't have known all this but the coaching/FO didn't??? Wow, if true. That only means they're as clueless as we all pray they aren't.

I would rather not "throw them to the lions" Developing players is just that. Developing them. Teaching them and using them in situations that fit thier skillsets. I don't think that Davis or Bush would necessarily have been helped by more playing time. Same goes for Coples who everybody here is in love with, but I did not see on the field enough to determine he is a future monster.

Davis looks like he will be good, but I personally noticed him jump into the wrong hole on numerous running plays. That shouldn't be easy to do watching the CBS feed on bar televisions. I think he was better served by being pulled and taught rather than leaving him out there to try and figure it out.

Bush may not even be a capable player. IMO the fact that he got any run down the stretch is due to them wanting to develop a younger player. Allen appears to be a situational player who might not even have a ceiling as every down S.

The defense was not bad. It didn't make sense to overhaul it. It made sense to bring these players along and give them situational reps and letting them earn and learn their way.

On offense it may be a different story. OTOH, they got snaps for Ducasse and you guys slaughtered them for it. The younger backs got increasing reps during the year and responded by getting hurt. Jordan White? LOL. He sucked and was consistently injured. Who else were they holding back? All I have read for the past year is that the Jets roster is one of the worst in the league and a particular problem is lack of depth. Now you want to crucify the coach for not (over)using that depth? GTFO

Ducasse sucks, everybody knows he sucks, his OL coach said he was being forced to play him, and there was never a moment where playing Ducasse was in the best interest of the team then, now, or in the future. The season was a washout, they knew they were cutting Scott and Pace, and Yeremiah Bell was a 34 year-old one-year rental.

The most galling example of not benching a player, of course, was Sanchez, who was actively losing games for you.

If you want to say that Rex was just trying to remain competitive for as long as possible, that's cool, but starting Sanchez and bringing Ducasse in seem to belie that thought. If they're playing Ducasse and Sanchez in the hope that they'll be ready/better in 2013, then Davis and Bush should have been playing, too.

IMO, the players who played (Scott, Sanchez, Pace, Bart, Ducasse) were playing to justify salaries and draft slots, which means that Tannenbaum was pushing that agenda. It's hard to believe that a defense-first coach would tolerate a QB that was turning it over twice per game. Regardless, it was the wrong tack then and it's the wrong tack now.

1. Again, it was in reference to all the young players/rookies.

Although White's name is mentioned, in particular, I think you you're

being too insistent drawing all conclusion back to just White.

I think it was a piss poor example for these players who are scouts to use.

Would you rather have Bush and Davis look lost in Weeks 12-17 in a lost

season, or would you rather have them look lost at the beginning of this

season?

Weeks 16 and 17 would have been fine. Davis logged 5 tackles in those two games. Josh Bush logged two tackles in those games. BTW, both of those guys saw plenty of snaps against the Patriots, somewhat of a relevant opponent to the Jets.

Gato cited him as proof--excuse me, "proof"--that Rex played young players.

50 snaps in 5 games is more than you think it is. That's 5% of all the snaps over 16 games crammed into 5 games.

OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT after Week 10 when the Jets were 3-6 getting

destroyed by the hawks and after week 12 when they were 4-7 getting

destroyed by the pats EVERYONE was still thinking Super Bowl. My bad.

Yet they were in the playoff hunt with two weeks left....welcome to the NFL.

Is that his argument? I thought it was Rex didn't need to play young

players b/c they didn't deserve it. It seriously changes between posts.

Despite not being evaluated properly by the fan scouts playing time went up "randomly" for Coples, Davis, Bush, and Allen as the year went on. It's as if the Jets were operating without getting our permission first, those POSs.

Ducasse sucks, everybody knows he sucks, his OL coach said he was being forced to play him,

The OL coach who lasted a year here and only had great things to say about Wayne Hunter?

In a stunning, stunning development...playing Ducasse does not count as playing young players. Magua doesn't count...Lankster doesn't count...Davis playing in over a 25% of the snaps as a rookie in Bart Scott's role doesn't count...It's incredibly easy to take anything from the Shane POV...it's all or nothing...black or white...either/or....0 shades of gray...etc.

2. I never mentioned anything about the need for any of us"fans" to

evaluate any of these players. I will however strongly disagree that the

FO and/or coaching staff can make a solid determination or evaluation

on any young player who barely sees the field and is buried on a depth

chart behind the seasoned vet (on the last year of a contract or rental

or soon to be salary cut), thus not seeing any reps in game or during practice.

See but none of these guys saw zero (any) reps, and the practice thing is pure assumption. Also rookies are made to buried behind vets until they take the job.

3. When it's clear your team isn't in contention, yeah, imo a HC

should have been playing younger guys/rookies. Funny even the PLAYERS ON

TEAM seem to agree with this. 

Hence saying week 15 rather than week 17.

Which players? Can you even give me how many players, let alone a name? Then these player/scouts drop JORDAN WHITE of all the names they could have dropped. Give me a break with that...

4. I'm concerned it's more about Rex Ryan worried about bragging

rights and top 10 defenses every year, i.e. his resume, than the long

term success of the NY Jets. 

Yeah, Jah forbid the HC seek success. Only for his greedy purposes THO!

You're being overdramatic about absolutely nothing. Absolutely none of these guys are finished because they feel to meet yours and T0m's arbitrary snap count number necessary to evolve into Charmeleon. In fact, one has already been named the starter while another (Bush) is blocked by no one yet in 2013.

Like I said, it's typical JN hindsight based sensationalist horsedoody.

I think it was a piss poor example for these players who are scouts to use.

Weeks 16 and 17 would have been fine. Davis logged 5 tackles in those two games. Josh Bush logged two tackles in those games. BTW, both of those guys saw plenty of snaps against the Patriots, somewhat of a relevant opponent to the Jets.

50 snaps in 5 games is more than you think it is. That's 5% of all the snaps over 16 games crammed into 5 games.

Yet they were in the playoff hunt with two weeks left....welcome to the NFL.

Despite not being evaluated properly by the fan scouts playing time went up "randomly" for Coples, Davis, Bush, and Allen as the year went on. It's as if the Jets were operating without getting our permission first, those POSs.

You keep forgetting it was the players that seemed "miffed". As a fan, if even the players seemed aware of it, and after a 6-10 season, where they were 3-6 as of week 10, this could draw some concern.

So, like, even though the counter point to your argument is supported by actual NFL players who were on the roster, it's us, these "fan-scouts" who have all the nerve. Ok, whatever dude. 

I can say it because I believe it.  I could be wrong. If I had to guess, Bush sucks and Allen is incapable as an every down player. IMO guys like Davis and Ellis played plenty of snaps.  So did McIntyre.  I question whether Sapp, Bush or Allen will ever be NFL ready, let alone in 2012. 

How can you guys sit there and blast Ducasse "because he sucks" but you have decided that guys like Allen and WhIte deserved playing time?  The offense was atrocious and Moore and Slauson were both UFAs.  BTW, forcing his big mouth Oline coach to play him is exactly what you are suggesting be done to Dennis Thurman and Bob Sutton.  

I can say it because I believe it.  I could be wrong. If I had to guess, Bush sucks and Allen is incapable as an every down player. IMO guys like Davis and Ellis played plenty of snaps.  So did McIntyre.  I question whether Sapp, Bush or Allen will ever be NFL ready, let alone in 2012. 

How can you guys sit there and blast Ducasse "because he sucks" but you have decided that guys like Allen and WhIte deserved playing time?  The offense was atrocious and Moore and Slauson were both UFAs.  

It's whatever is convenient to sh*t on the Jets and Ryan. Luckily there are many who will pretend there's no agenda and will gladly get up in arms with T0m over late round guys like Allen/Bush/White not seeing the field "enough" as rookies.

Expected reply: Something about how the media and the fans are the ones who stopped the SB parade.

It's whatever is convenient to sh*t on the Jets and Ryan. Luckily there are many who will pretend there's no agenda and will gladly get up in arms with T0m over late round guys like Allen/Bush/White not seeing the field "enough" as rookies.

Expected reply: Something about how the media and the fans are the ones who stopped the SB parade.

LOL at you just calling me overdramatic. 

You keep forgetting it was the players that seemed "miffed". As a fan, if even the players seemed aware of it, and after a 6-10 season, where they were 3-6 as of week 10, this could draw some concern.

So, like, even though the counter point to your argument is supported by actual NFL players who were on the roster, it's us, these "fan-scouts" who have all the nerve. Ok, whatever dude. 

No, I'm not. I think you keep forgetting that it's not a player's job to be miffed about playing time for rookies unless that player happens to be an affected rookie. You keep forgetting that despite being 3-6 in week 10 they were not eliminated from the playoffs, officially not by the arbitrary scale of fans who need a prettier paper season, and they were in fact FIVE weeks away from it. We're in a generation of NFL where an 8-8 team was in the Super Bowl within the past 5 years - it is not over when your hindsight tells me it is after the fact.

Once again a quick reminder for the board:

GMs general manage

Coaches coach

Players play

Not:

GMs break draft ties based on coach opinions

Coaches execute the plays

Players scout

Do you really want to pick a fight over someone moving the goalposts? In this thread of all places?

Boylemmetellya, if that Josh Bush had been on the field more in 2012 I'd feel so much secure about The Future.

LOL at you just calling me overdramatic.

Laugh away, you're being overdramatic in this specific case. Maybe it's Ilk initiation week or something.

Which players were miffed? This is a serious question. Not sarcastic.  I remember there being some mild "you'll have to ask them" quote, but I can't remember who it was from.  Was there some great upswell that I missed?  

Why am I being implicated in everybody else's thoughts?

The price of being a leader.

No, I'm not. I think you keep forgetting that it's not a player's job to be miffed about playing time for rookies unless that player happens to be an affected rookie. You keep forgetting that despite being 3-6 in week 10 they were not eliminated from the playoffs, officially not by the arbitrary scale of fans who need a prettier paper season, and they were in fact FIVE weeks away from it. We're in a generation of NFL where an 8-8 team was in the Super Bowl within the past 5 years - it is not over when your hindsight tells me it is after the fact.

Once again a quick reminder for the board:

GMs general manage

Coaches coach

Players play

Not:

GMs break draft ties based on coach opinions

Coaches execute the plays

Players scout

What if the GM sucks and gets fired? And the Coach goes 6-10. When am I allowed to questioning things? Maybe when the players start to? Oh sh*t wait....

OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT after Week 10 when the Jets were 3-6 getting destroyed by the hawks and after week 12 when they were 4-7 getting destroyed by the pats EVERYONE was still thinking Super Bowl. My bad.

Totally should have given up. Because THAT'S what great HC's do.

Archived