Possible Interest In Local DE Increases

Jets2013

Reports circulating on twitter of Jets interest in late round pick of Princeton DE Mike Catapano.  Jets were one of 12 teams who attended his Pro day this week where he posted very impressive 1st round numbers.  Eagles are the first 3-4 team to invite Catapano for private workout, might the Jets be next?  Catapano averaged 1.2 sacks a game his senior year and was a standout at East West Shrine practice week in Tampa.  7 teams have invited Catapano for private workouts (Incuding Patriots and Giants).  Might be a great mid-late round grab.

http://college2pro.com/showSingleArticle.php?id=159&page=browseArticles&category=NFL%20Mock%20Draft

Pro Days numbers on Catapano....maybe best DE #s in entire draft

Height: 6037

Weight: 271 lbs.

Forty - 4.67-4.69 (reportedly done in 35 degree temps and high wind outdoors)

Bench - 33 reps

Vertical - 37.5

3-cone - 7.04

Shuttle - 4.21

Broad Jump - 116 in. 

Can't speak on his game as I didn't see a single snap of princeton football this year...or in recent memory.  However, those are extremely solid numbers and I always like drafting or signing local kids, they just seem to play harder.  It's always nice when they are at least comfortable with the local area.

It’s so hard to gauge Ivy League players off high light video’s.  A lot of those guys will be going to law school, med school, ect next season.  I also saw where he is ranked 30 among DE’s, and was expected to go undrafted.

With that said, those are some nice pro day numbers for a pretty big guy.  Having played locally I hope the Jets have scouted him thoroughly.  Sure worth a shot in the late rounds.

Wonder how much this pro day will jump him?    

Archived