Our recent history of 2nd round draft picks

Integrity28

Watching the reactions to the Geno selection, I'm puzzled.  People are acting as though we did what we did in 2009 where we traded up for a QB (Sanchez), and only made a total of 3 draft picks.

Look at the contribution we've gotten from 2nd rounders over the past 2 regimes. Borders on NOTHING.

Staying put, and selecting the best QB in the draft who happened to be the best player on the board was good business, plain and simple. Especially from a team that has traded away 50% of their 2nd rounders over the past decade!

We have literally made ONE decent 2nd round choice in a DECADE. LOL wtf... 

2013 - Geno Smith, unknown value

2012 - Stephen Hill, unknown value

2011- no pick

2010 - Vlad Ducasse - bust, has not played up to a 2nd round value

2009 - no pick

2008 - no pick

2007 - David Harris - good but now being paid like an over-priced ILB

2006 - Kellen Clemens - cut by Rams?

2005 - Justin Miller, Mike Nugent - out of the league and a kicker

2004 - no pick

2003 - Victor Hobson - retired

I can see writing off Vlad already, but it's a little early on Stephen HIll.

Huh? That's why I said Hill is unknown value, and Vlad is a bust.

I think Geno-to-Hill and Kerley is going to be a lot of fun to watch personally.

I can see writing off Vlad already, but it's a little early on Stephen HIll.

+1

Hill was an obvious project, and the Jets were developing him(?) under Sporano with Sanchez at QB. Gotta give a kid with his physical gifts a chance.

+1

Hill was an obvious project, and the Jets were developing him(?) under Sporano with Sanchez at QB. Gotta give a kid with his physical gifts a chance.

Yup.

I view Hill coming in this year almost like an extra new player. Last year was red shirt, and a waste. He showed some flashes though, which was awesome.

I also want to see more of Jordan White. I think he could be a serviceable 30-40 catch a year guy, which every offense needs, and would be great return on a 7th rounder.

WWe have literally made ONE decent 2nd round choice in a DECADE. LOL wtf... 

ed

Huh? That's why I said Hill is unknown value, and Vlad is a bust.

I think Geno-to-Hill and Kerley is going to be a lot of fun to watch personally.

1.  This new quoting feature still ******* sucks.

2.  The sentence above is what I was talking about.

3.  Hobson was a decent enough pick.  The guy was a starter for half a decade.  I'll give you the rest, but Vlad and Hill were both projects with huge upside.  You don't act like they were bad picks until several years down the line.  Vlad hasn't produced much, so I will grant you that one, but Hill was a starter last year and the team actually seemed to miss him when he was out.  He is raw, but it certainly looks like he will have value, whether he is ever a REAL WR is still in question.

I gotcha Dom, but I wasn't "acting like they were bad picks". 

We just signed 2 veterans and drafted Winters to do what Vlad can't. I think it's acceptable to talk about him like a bust for now.

I've already given my point of view on Hill.

What I'm trying to illustrate with the original post is  more about us not even keeping our second round picks most of the past 10 years, NOT opening a semantic debate about the value of the guys we did pick.

The reality is, not ONE of our 2nd round picks from the past decade starts for us now, except Harris and probably Hill. Hobson started, Miller flirted with starting...  So, 3/10 out of those picks.

If we get it right with Geno, it's money. If not, it's par for the course. For those doing the whole "I HAZ OUTRAGE TODAY" routine today, they should be ranting about a decade of wasted 2nd round picks, not the Geno pick. That's my point.

I gotcha Dom, but I wasn't "acting like they were bad picks". 

We just signed 2 veterans and drafted Winters to do what Vlad can't. I think it's acceptable to talk about him like a bust for now.

I've already given my point of view on Hill.

What I'm trying to illustrate with the original post is  more about us not even keeping our second round picks most of the past 10 years, NOT opening a semantic debate about the value of the guys we did pick.

The reality is, not ONE of our 2nd round picks from the past decade starts for us now, except Harris and probably Hill. Hobson started, Miller flirted with starting...  So, 3/10 out of those picks.

If we get it right with Geno, it's money. If not, it's par for the course. For those doing the whole "I HAZ OUTRAGE TODAY" routine today, they should be ranting about a decade of wasted 2nd round picks, not the Geno pick. That's my point.

There is outrage?  Other than the Rex hater I thought everything was peaches and cream around here this morning.

There is outrage?  Other than the Rex hater I thought everything was peaches and cream around here this morning.

i'm ok with the draft, although i think Rex should be shot. I find the Mangenuis treatment being bestowed upon Idzik to be comical however..

Watching the reactions to the Geno selection, I'm puzzled.  People are acting as though we did what we did in 2009 where we traded up for a QB (Sanchez), and only made a total of 3 draft picks.

Look at the contribution we've gotten from 2nd rounders over the past 2 regimes. Borders on NOTHING.

SO you're saying Geno smith is going to suck? Great

i'm ok with the draft, although i think Rex should be shot. I find the Mangenuis treatment being bestowed upon Idzik to be comical however..

Too soon to hate, too soon to love.  Around here everybody is taking the first girl that kisses them on a trip to Hawaii and getting divorced the second the worst wife on earth leaves the cap off the toothpaste.

The Clemens pick also indirectly got us Revis. Our original 2nd round pick was much higher. The 2nd round pick we got the following year was the extra ammunition we had to move up in round 1 for Revis and still have a 2nd round pick ourselves.  Then we traded up from that other 2nd round pick (forget what it was exactly, but it was significant - something like our 3rd and 4th or our 4th and 5th) to move up for Harris.  2007 wasn't a particularly deep draft (ok, it sucked).  However many times we traded up, we came away with 3 starters - including a future HOFer - in a sh*t draft, and I have to give Tannenbaum/Mangini/Bradway credit for that.

Always outrage, always.

SO you're saying Geno smith is going to suck? Great

Yes.

The Clemens pick also indirectly got us Revis. Our original 2nd round pick was much higher. The 2nd round pick we got the following year was the extra ammunition we had to move up in round 1 for Revis and still have a 2nd round pick ourselves.  Then we traded up from that other 2nd round pick (forget what it was exactly, but it was significant - something like our 3rd and 4th or our 4th and 5th) to move up for Harris.  2007 wasn't a particularly deep draft (ok, it sucked).  However many times we traded up, we came away with 3 starters - including a future HOFer - in a sh*t draft, and I have to give Tannenbaum/Mangini/Bradway credit for that.

THERE WILL BE NO CREDIT!!!!!

Haha! I tend to agree.

I've particularly enjoyed the lollercoaster of Rex having one foot in the grave to Rex still running the whole show. :rl:

Haha! I tend to agree.

I've particularly enjoyed the lollercoaster of Rex having one foot in the grave to Rex still running the whole show. :rl:

Well, we picked defensive players... so you know REX IS GEPPETTO PULLS STRINGS RUNNING SHOW CONSPIRACY WOODY ACK BIG MOUTH IN CHARGE SUFFERING WE SHOULD ALL BE MISERABLE, etc.

Archived