Patriots release Kyle Love after learning of diabetes

stoicsentry

Do you know he didn't actually see a doctor until now?

Doctors don't really know what causes diabetes. They've found a lot of correlations between diabetes and other things - being overweight or, in women, having poly-cystic ovary syndrome, for example - but they don't really know, exactly, why diabetes occurs. Weight loss can be a symptom of a lot of things, and it isn't unreasonable to believe that it took 6-8 months to get a firm diagnosis, especially if there were no other symptoms that went along with the weight loss.

And it really doesn't matter, this makes the Patriots look terrible, since most people are sympathetic to sick people. And at this point, Love mostly has to eat regularly, watch his diet, and maybe test his blood a couple times a day. It's not like he was diagnoses with MS.

A simple blood test can determine whether or not Diabetes is the present.

As rampant as type 2 Diabetes is today, it doesnt take 8 months to figure that out, but nice try dreaming up excuses. The Patriots offered Love a year off with pay to deal with his medical condition and he refused. The Pats would have preferred to keep Love, but a Jets fan telling me that the Pats look terrible is really comedy gold.

As rampant as type 2 Diabetes is today, it doesnt take 8 months to figure that out, but nice try dreaming up excuses. The Patriots offered Love a year off with pay to deal with his medical condition and he refused. The Pats would have preferred to keep Love, but a Jets fan telling me that the Pats look terrible is really comedy gold.

Can you name any other NFL player who has diabetes who was cut because of having diabetes?

Uh, do you even know what diabetes is? Hint: it's not a virus. It's not something that is "present." It's a group of metabolic happenings that, taken together, produce high blood sugar due to, in the case of type 2, insulin resistance and possibly low insulin production. So no, a simple blood test is not all it takes to determine a person has diabetes. I have an entire family full of people with diabetes or who are pre-diabetic, so I'm pretty familiar with the process of diagnosing diabetes. It requires multiple blood tests and in some cases, the patient monitoring their own blood sugar for an extended period.

If no other symptoms besides weight loss are present, in may require repeated testing, because I said, weight loss is a symptom of a lot of things.

You sir, are an idiot.

And a Jets fan telling you cutting a guy for having diabetes makes Patriots looks terrible doesn't make it any less true. Every NFL observer thinks the Patriots are scum.

Good day.

Can you name any other NFL player who has diabetes who was cut because of having diabetes?

Diabetes also is a disability when it causes side effects or

complications that substantially limit a major life activity. Even if

diabetes is not currently substantially limiting because it is

controlled by diet,

exercise, oral medication, and/or insulin, and there are no serious

side effects, the condition may be a disability because it was

substantially limiting in the past (i.e., before it was diagnosed and

adequately treated). Finally, diabetes is a disability when it does not

significantly affect a person's everyday activities, but the employer

treats the individual as if it does. For example, an employer may assume

that a person is totally unable to work because he has diabetes.

Under

those guidelines, there are any number of ways to determine that Kyle

Love's condition is a disability. In order to prevent employers from

just firing a disabled person, the Act requires that the employer make

reasonable accommodations so that the disabled person can still perform

the essential functions of their job. For Kyle Love that means playing

football, which is admittedly a lot different than sitting at a desk.

Still, the ADA doesn't require employers to suffer through a sub-par

employee; it just requires that a reasonable effort be made to work with

the employee. If an employer, in this case the team, can't find a

satisfactory way to get the most out of Kyle Love because of his

disability, then the ADA can't help him.

The Patriots offered Love a year off with pay to deal with his condition and he refused.

Uh, do you even know what diabetes is? Hint: it's not a virus. It's not something that is "present." It's a group of metabolic happenings that, taken together, produce high blood sugar due to, in the case of type 2, insulin resistance and possibly low insulin production. So no, a simple blood test is not all it takes to determine a person has diabetes. I have an entire family full of people with diabetes or who are pre-diabetic, so I'm pretty familiar with the process of diagnosing diabetes. It requires multiple blood tests and in some cases, the patient monitoring their own blood sugar for an extended period.

If no other symptoms besides weight loss are present, in may require repeated testing, because I said, weight loss is a symptom of a lot of things.

You sir, are an idiot.

And a Jets fan telling you cutting a guy for having diabetes makes Patriots looks terrible doesn't make it any less true. Every NFL observer thinks the Patriots are scum.

Good day.

And youre a dipsh*t.

I know plenty of people with Type 1 and 2 diabetes and it didnt take 8 months to figure that out.

The Pats are trying to be an upstanding organization like the Jets. It tales time.

......I know plenty of people with Type 1 and 2 diabetes and it didnt take 8 months to figure that out.

Just because one patient gets diagnosed promptly doesn't mean they all do.

I had heel pain and could not walk more than a couple of hundred yards for two years.

General practitioner said plantar fasciitis.  Rheumatologist had Xrays done and found heel spurs, (not what I was seeing him for but he had it done anyway).  TWO physical therapists looked at me walk barefoot and said my arches looked a little low but seemed to be functioning well.  Then proceeded to rehab my foot for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.

After two years, posters on internet said it's falling arches.  So I stepped on the arch measuring machine in shoe store-left foot flat, right foot in-between flat and normal.

$10 arch supports and I am now able to do my daily three mile walk  with no heel or foot pain at all.

And youre a dipsh*t.

I know plenty of people with Type 1 and 2 diabetes and it didnt take 8 months to figure that out.

The Pats are trying to be an upstanding organization like the Jets. It tales time.

I said good day.

ETA: but since I'm here, you're a dumb f*ck.

Just because one patient gets diagnosed promptly doesn't mean they all do.

I had heel pain and could not walk more than a couple of hundred yards for two years.

General practitioner said plantar fasciitis.  Rheumatologist had Xrays done and found heel spurs, (not what I was seeing him for but he had it done anyway).  TWO physical therapists looked at me walk barefoot and said my arches looked a little low but seemed to be functioning well.  Then proceeded to rehab my foot for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.

After two years, posters on internet said it's falling arches.  So I stepped on the arch measuring machine in shoe store-left foot flat, right foot in-between flat and normal.

$10 arch supports and I am now able to do my daily three mile walk  with no heel or foot pain at all.

don't you know? every medical case is the same, every where, every time. that's why nobody makes new medical discoveries anymore and they don't put any money into medical research. huge waste of time.

Have you tried taking his head?

I've considered it, but then I realized I don't want to absorb his crappy essence in the inevitable quickening. My only real option is to trick another immortal into taking his head but I'd have to imagine they're saving him for last due to the same reservations I'm having.

I've considered it, but then I realized I don't want to absorb his crappy essence in the inevitable quickening. My only real option is to trick another immortal into taking his head but I'd have to imagine they're saving him for last due to the same reservations I'm having.

I actually understand this post. I feel good, but sort of hate myself at the same time.

.... The Patriots offered Love a year off with pay to deal with his medical condition and he refused. The Pats would have preferred to keep Love, but a Jets fan telling me that the Pats look terrible is really comedy gold.

The Patriots didn't offer Love a year off with pay. They offered Love a year off without pay, and to come to camp if he feels up to it.  They weren't going to pay him, according to this Boston Herald article.

After opting for release from Pats, Kyle Love claimed by Jaugars

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Karen Guregian

Shortly after being released by the Patriots, Kyle Love will join his former teammate Brandon Deaderick on the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jags claimed Love off waivers this afternoon.

We’ve learned a little more information today with respect to the Patriots unloading of Love just a few weeks after the defensive lineman was diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes.

According to his agent Richard Kopelman, the Pats offered Love two options. One was to walk away from football for a year, with the team retaining his rights, and the possibility of returning. The other was to be released.

"What it came down to for us was, walk away for a year, guaranteeing you get nothing, or, lose your job, with there being a chance that someone else picks you up. I don’t think the choice was real tough. It just made no sense for him to walk away from football," Kopelman said. "Naturally, if it turns out Kyle’s health is not where it needs to be for him to play, he’s not going to jeopardize his health, I would never recommend that he do so. But, if you do the research with Type-2 diabetes, it’s extremely treatable and should not limit Kyle’s ability to perform at the level necessary to play in the NFL for the Patriots or anyone else."

That "anyone else" turns out to be the Jags, who now have two Patriots castoffs in their defensive line corps.

There was some speculation about the possibility of litigation outside of the NFL arena, that Love could conceivably pursue legal claims against the team under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act. Kopelman indicated that wasn’t currently on the radar.

"Kyle's focus from the time this process began to unfold up until now — as well as mine — has been on, No. 1, make sure he’s healthy. Number 2, move forward playing professional football, hopefully for many, many years," Kopelman said prior to his client being claimed by the Jaguars. "That said, as Kyle’s agent, understanding the fiduciary duty I have, I would make sure any options that were reasonable and viable would be explored, but I would point out that anyone asking about litigation, we didn’t suggest to anybody we were exploring litigation. We are not currently exploring litigation options. That’s something that came up through other press reports ... it remains under the spectrum of issues that could be addressed.

"If all other options were exhausted and it appeared pursuing legal remedies was in Kyle’s best interest, then I would have him consult with someone who was an expert in that area," he went on. "But that’s certainly is not his intention. We have every reason in the world to believe Kyle Love will be playing football in the 2013-2014 season. Sadly, from Kyle’s perspective, it won’t be for the New England Patriots."

http://bostonherald.com//sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/05/after_opting_for_release_from_pats_kyle_love_claimed_by

Archived