Kellen Winslow: Not Being Signed "Very Hard"

flgreen

Kellen Winslow says not being signed by team until now was 'very hard'

Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger By  Mike Vorkunov/The Star-Ledger  
Follow on Twitter
on June 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, updated June 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Before the Jets offered him a tryout, Kellen Winslow was left without a job. And with no reason to work out, it was difficult just to find a reason.

"It's hard to stay in shape when nobody's calling," he said today. "It's a challenge."

His incentive came Saturday, when he received a call from the Jets. Monday, he was on a plane coming here. Today, he underwent his first practice with the club.

He caught several passes as he attempts to situate himself. He is still trying to learn the Jets' offense and admits there's "a lot to learn."

But there was a long wait to get here. And it was not an easy time. He leaned on his wife as he awaited attention from NFL teams.

"It's hard," Winslow said. "Very hard. It's a situation I've never gone through. It's very hard. Probably one of the hardest things I've ever gone through."

"You don't know what your future holds. This is my dream. It was taken away."

Now, Winslow is taking the optimistic route. He is a former Pro Bowl player with four seasons of at least 75 catches. He feels, according to him, "good."

And he feels that he is not that far away from being a productive player despite a 2012 season in which he played just one game. Last year he was traded from Tampa Bay to Seattle in May, waived before the start of the season by the Seahawks, then signed with the Patriots in September.

According to report by ESPN Boston, "Winslow requested the Patriots release him after one game because he decided enduring a painful knee condition to play a limited number of snaps...was not worthwhile."

"I've got years left," Winslow said. "My last year, in 2011, I caught 75 balls. I've been productive. It's just the NFL. It's how it goes sometimes."

Rex Ryan has said that he's "excited" to see what Winslow has left.

I don't think he's considered "fragile" but his knees are ****ed and will never be right.  He probably has that high quality Cleveland medical staff to thank. He hasn't missed a crazy number of games considering the motorcycle accident and the two (!) staph infections.  He supposedly asked out with the Pats because of pain, so I'm not sure why he'd be back other than money. Dollar, dollar bill, y'all. 

I wouldn't worry about that.  With his pedigree the guy has probably always been considered a key player on whatever team he's on.

Now he not only isn't considered a key player, he's sitting around and nobody's calling.  Working out for himself to make the team is not something he's ever done.  He's always been one of the stars and worked out to show his status as star is justified.

Holy sh*t do we need this guy to find the fountain of youth for a year, and stay health. 

I think the knock on him is he's fragile and a big dumb head jerk face. 

coincidentally that is the same thing they said about Max when he left JI. I think it bodes well for the future.

Archived