Brandon Moore signs with Cowboys then promptly retires

T0mShane

I.E. the Jets extending Mark's contract at the price we did when no other NFL team would given him the same money if he was a FA. 

if Mark Sanchez was a free agent before 2012, coming off of 2 playoff years and only 1 really bad year, in 2011 he'd probably get more money than we'd realize. Given his pedigree, his resume, his age, and most importantly, the short supply of QB's. i don't know the full breakdown but if we assume Mark got something like 9 mil per year guaranteed, the Jets overpaid, but not but a huge amount. Remember this is pre-butt fumble. It's not like he's worth 3 on the open market at that time. He's probably worth 7-8 easy.

But this is all speculation and different than actual market activity.  We can sit here and speculate he's worth 0 or worth 10 but until there's an actual transaction it's not official. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if Mark Sanchez was a free agent before 2012, coming off of 2 playoff years and only 1 really bad year, in 2011 he'd probably get more money than we'd realize. Given his pedigree, his resume, his age, and most importantly, the short supply of QB's. i don't know the full breakdown but if we assume Mark got something like 9 mil per year guaranteed, the Jets overpaid, but not but a huge amount. Remember this is pre-butt fumble. It's not like he's worth 3 on the open market at that time. He's probably worth 7-8 easy.

But this is all speculation and different than actual market activity.  We can sit here and speculate he's worth 0 or worth 10 but until there's an actual transaction it's not official. 

I call it a market failure due to the fact Mark's career projections and performances were a lot closer to that of Joey Harrington than it was to Joe Flacco or Eli or anyone else Tanny thought Mark could turn into. Which was a large reason for the extension. Jason did some great analysis on this subject.

for the record the deal Moore agreed to was a little less than 2 Mil for the year. 1.2 Mil salary plus 500k signing plus 250k workout. It's like double what they paid for Peterman but still fairly reasonable for a guy with his resume. 

That doesn't mean that is what Moore would have accepted when we signed Peterman (or before the draft either).

People played this game when Edwards signed with San Fran. The assumption was that we could have signed him for the same money.  Meanwhile the reality is he'd already publicly trashed the franchise (I think on Twitter) by the time SF signed him, and the money he wanted from the Jets was a multiple of what SF paid him.  And there were plenty of Jets fans who felt we should have re-signed him for at least the same $5M or so he made his last year here (his RFA tag amount he played under in 2010) and the $4.5M he played for the year we picked him up.

But your capitalism lesson, complete with the always-impressive wikipedia citation, does not take into account that players have different values to different teams for varying reasons beyond what "the market" will bear.

Archived