What learned on Day 19

August, 12, 2013

Aug 12

8:15

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Observations from the press box:

10 Biggest Issues At Jets Camp

It's no secret. The Jets had tons of issues heading into training camp.

We stopped at 10. Top 10 Photo Gallery  Blog »

1. Holmes wrecker: When Santonio Holmes suffered a season-ending LisFranc foot injury last season in Week 4, the Jets said he'd "make a full recovery and be ready to roll for next year." Uh, not so fast. On Monday, Holmes uttered these ominous words: "Right now, I can't run." If this were a 300-pound lineman, it wouldn't be cause for alarm. But a wide receiver who makes his living with stops and starts and sudden change of direction? It's a concern. Forget about opening day. The Jets need to start bracing for the likelihood their No. 1 receiver won't be back for some time.

2. No Mountaineer love: You won't hear Rex Ryan humming "Country Roads" anytime soon. Ryan, responding to a Pittsburgh-based newspaper article in which Geno Smith's former teammates questioned the leadership on last year's team, fired a salvo at the West Virginia football program. Ryan said he's glad he didn't send his college-age son, Seth, to West Virginia. Memo to Rex: If you're ever driving through that region of the country, you may want to avoid West Virginia. You won't be a popular guy on those country roads.

3. Aggressive O: The Jets don't have a ton of offensive talent, but you know what? They might be fun to watch. The minds of OC Marty Mornhinweg and QBs coach David Lee will keep things interesting. Mornhinweg runs the West Coast offense, but he likes to take more shots downfield than most of his West Coast brethren -- evidenced in Monday's practice. Lee brings the Wildcat and read-option elements into the offense, which should spice up the running game. And there could be some Pistol, too. If nothing else, it'll give the opposition a lot to think about.

For sh*ts and giggles, this was Cimini's article "What we learned on Day 19"  from last year (8/13/2012):

Three things we learned on Day 19
August, 13, 2012
8/13/12
6:53
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Observations from Monday at training camp: 

1. If the Jets run a Wildcat play and no one is there to see it, it still makes "SportsCenter." Hey, this was big news even though the Jets, operating within the league rules, placed restrictions on what we could report with regard to the Wildcat. I'd love to provide the juicy details, but it will have to remain top-secret since it was closed to the public. All I can tell you is this: Rex Ryan is dead serious about this whole Wildcat thing. To him, it's not a gimmick; it will be a key part of their offense and he's confident it will work. I'm skeptical. It might catch teams by surprise early in the year, but I don't think it can carry them an entire season. 

2. The Wildcat provided a jolt to the offense. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the offense's most efficient 7-on-7 drill of camp occurred after a Wildcat period. Coincidence? Maybe not. The offense got off to a shaky start in practice, but it came to life, perhaps energized by the novelty of the Wildcat. You should've seen Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow: They completed 14 straight at one point. Interesting. 

3. It really bugs Ryan that media types questioned the Quinton Coples pick. For the second straight day, the coach referred to the "bust" predictions that surfaced when the Jets used their No. 1 pick on the defensive end. This is a good time for Ryan to gloat because Coples played a terrific game in the preseason opener, but let's not put him next to Curtis Martin in the Hall of Fame just yet. From all indications, Coples isn't a good practice player. Ryan did him no favors by likening him to Jason Pierre-Paul. Mind you, Ryan didn't say Coples is as good as JPP -- he said "hopefully" -- but that's not how it will play in the media.

Archived