Idzik Trying To Help Smith, but Sanchez Likely to Start

flgreen

Probably a safe bet that Idzik hasn't talked to any of these reporters since they went buck wild over his "I'll have a role in deciding the quarterback" statement.

so how does the paper let him just make a statement that he knows what idzik is doing/thinking without a quote or source ?  its just bizarre.  I also think its a big mistake to show his narrative for the season this early.  it will be worn out by october.

Rex sat Sanchez for McElroy. He's dying for a QB better than Sanchez.

I missed this tidbit. Rex benching Mark in Week Sixteen of a season in which he was the worst quarterback in the league for roughly thirty games was done solely because there would have been riots in the stands if Mark started that home game, not because of any desire to see Mark benched. If you want to bench your sh*tty quarterback, you bench him. If the backup sucks, so be it. That's why they're backups.

I agree Smith isn't ready yet. I'm sure John Idzik knows that Smith isn't ready yet. I highly doubt John Idzik has told Manish Mehta that he wants Smith to start. I think Manish rolling with this storyline--alone--is an indicator that someone is feeding this to him. The way that Mehta is falling on his sword this offseason to protect Rex's interests makes him a likely candidate. This is Cannizzaro/Herm Redux.

If Idzik knows that Geno isn't ready to start, then there's no reason for Rex to feed this story to Mehta. So either Idzik is pushing for Geno to start behind the scenes, or Mehta's making sh*t up.

Serby's a Jet hater the way 90% of the people who post here are Jet haters. He's actually a very long -if not lifetime- fan of the team.

He also just happens to be a major proponent of yellow sports journalism.

Even after Richard Todd literally picked him up and stuffed him into a locker at Shea some 30 yrs ago for writing negative articles in the Post.

so how does the paper let him just make a statement that he knows what idzik is doing/thinking without a quote or source ? its just bizarre. I also think its a big mistake to show his narrative for the season this early. it will be worn out by october.

Someone is obviously talking up this angle to Mehta. No way is he sitting in a Starbucks arbitrarily trying to slander Idzik without some prompting. The Rex ship is going down and it's going to take a lot of people with it--Mornhinweg, Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, Dennis Thurman, etc, etc. There will be no shortage of anonymous quotes killing the new regime before this season is out.

Two final thoughts:

1. Mehta has officially powered up from Troll to Hack to Douchebag to JN Poster.

2. The only thing sadder than a person aspiring to be Rich Cimini is a person aspiring to be Rich Cimini and failing at it.

LOL

Thanks man this actually made me laugh.

Real funny thing is .   Your Right

I missed this tidbit. Rex benching Mark in Week Sixteen of a season in which he was the worst quarterback in the league for roughly thirty games was done solely because there would have been riots in the stands if Mark started that home game, not because of any desire to see Mark benched. If you want to bench your sh*tty quarterback, you bench him. If the backup sucks, so be it. That's why they're backups.

You bench your sh*tty QB in hopes of getting better QB play. The goal, after all, is winning. If the backup sucks worse than the sh*tty starter, you have to go back to the sh*tty starter.

The idea that Rex Ryan is blind to that fact that Sanchez isn't getting it done is absurd. A veteran who was maybe actually healthy enough to earn a position on an NFL roster the last two years probably should've been brought in to compete this year along with the rookie. And/or they should've double-dipped at QB in the draft. Had they not traded for Chris Ivory -a player Idzik has to be praying is a little bit better than Greene when all is said and done- they could've had Geno and Nassib. That would've been badass.

If Idzik knows that Geno isn't ready to start, then there's no reason for Rex to feed this story to Mehta. So either Idzik is pushing for Geno to start behind the scenes, or Mehta's making sh*t up.

It's either Rex or Mornhinweg or the Sanchez camp. Mehta blows, but it'd be hard to believe that he's just making sh*t up. Rex has clearly been knocked down a few pegs by the organization, and Idzik really has done nothing to prop him up (other than handing him Richardson and Milliner). In the interest of self-preservation, it wouldn't be the worst move to portray the new, young GM as an unqualified meddler who pulled the rug out on him (Rex).

Someone is obviously talking up this angle to Mehta. No way is he sitting in a Starbucks arbitrarily trying to slander Idzik without some prompting. The Rex ship is going down and it's going to take a lot of people with it--Mornhinweg, Sanchez, Santonio Holmes, Dennis Thurman, etc, etc. There will be no shortage of anonymous quotes killing the new regime before this season is out.

I actually think MM will get interviewed for the HC of the NYJ job if rex gets fired.  chez, holmes are goners, and thurman and rex's boys as well.  

the weird thing is this team supplies you with so much to cover you don't have to force it.  he's taking a gamble here sanchez plays well and is named the starter monday

(softball.....)

There were no anonymous quotes, though. No "sources close to the Jets," even.

I don't know if he's sitting in a Starbucks making this stuff up. Maybe a tavern?

You bench your sh*tty QB in hopes of getting better QB play. The goal, after all, is winning. If the backup sucks worse than the sh*tty starter, you have to go back to the sh*tty starter.

The idea that Rex Ryan is blind to that fact that Sanchez isn't getting it done is absurd. A veteran who was maybe actually healthy enough to earn a position on an NFL roster the last two years probably should've been brought in to compete this year along with the rookie. And/or they should've double-dipped at QB in the draft. Had they not traded for Chris Ivory -a player Idzik has to be praying is a little bit better than Greene when all is said and done- they could've had Geno and Nassib. That would've been badass.

When your quarterback is producing debacles like the Arizona and Tennessee games, or the buttfumble, or any of the other starts where he melted down, you make the switch simply to show the team that you'll hold people accountable for submarining the entire ball club. Accountability has never been Rex's strong suit. The right move was to put Any Other QB out there for a few weeks and ask them to hand it off 50 times. Sanchez was actively losing ball games for you. Playing him ruined the team two years in a row.

It's either Rex or Mornhinweg or the Sanchez camp. Mehta blows, but it'd be hard to believe that he's just making sh*t up. Rex has clearly been knocked down a few pegs by the organization, and Idzik really has done nothing to prop him up (other than handing him Richardson and Milliner). In the interest of self-preservation, it wouldn't be the worst move to portray the new, young GM as an unqualified meddler who pulled the rug out on him (Rex).

I don't know why it's hard to believe he's just making sh*t up. Maybe it's Sanchez' people getting nervous, but Rex has absolutely no reason at all to "leak" any stories to Mehta. If anything, it would be more damaging to his job security. The only reason for him to "leak" such a thing is if it's true - because prolonging the QB competition in the preseason and/or starting Geno is also damaging to his job security.

Serby's a career hack and Mehta's an aspiring hack, so it's impossible to determine how much of this is true. Who are their sources that there's an Idzik driven push to make Geno the opening day starter?

I'll say this, though... IF Idzik is doing everything he can behind the scenes to help Smith open the season in the starting lineup, he'd lose credibility as a patient man, and be demonstrating his lacking skills on the football side of the business. The NFL season is a long season, there will be plenty of opportunity for Smith to start down the line. Sanchez will, inevitably, leave the door open to be benched. Letting Sanchez open the season starting two games that are only four days apart (the second being a national TV game against the Pats) is not the worst thing for the team - or for Geno. I think a pretty good case could be made that its probably the best thing for Geno, and thus, the best thing for the Jets.

If Sanchez is so terrible, you can trot Geno out as early as week #3 with a little extended preparation time. If Sanchez isn't so terrible, that's not a bad thing, either - no matter how Sanchez fatigued the fan base may be.

BINGO

There were no anonymous quotes, though. No "sources close to the Jets," even.

I don't know if he's sitting in a Starbucks making this stuff up. Maybe a tavern?

Here's what's weird--Mehta is a young reporter in THE major market. It would be career suicide to just make things up that he knows will alienate the organization that he's trying to cover. Unless he's the most unethical psychopath to ever finish J School, he's got to be able to point to a source to justify the last few weeks of articles. If it was one Sunday think-piece, you'd write it off as him being merely sensationalistic. But this is a month's worth of pro-Rex/pro-Sanchez/anti-Idzik campaigning. It's way too much to just be Mehta throwing ish against the wall.

I don't know why it's hard to believe he's just making sh*t up. Maybe it's Sanchez' people getting nervous, but Rex has absolutely no reason at all to "leak" any stories to Mehta. If anything, it would be more damaging to his job security. The only reason for him to "leak" such a thing is if it's true - because prolonging the QB competition in the preseason and/or starting Geno is also damaging to his job security.

I think that Rex is looking out on the field and he sees a bad team and this is a place he'd never thought he'd get to, and I think he looks around him and sees fewer people that he can trust. Pettine is gone. Bart Scott is gone. Tannenbaum is gone. Woody has been conspicuously absent. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to circle his wagon(s).

I actually think MM will get interviewed for the HC of the NYJ job if rex gets fired. chez, holmes are goners, and thurman and rex's boys as well.

the weird thing is this team supplies you with so much to cover you don't have to force it. he's taking a gamble here sanchez plays well and is named the starter monday

(softball.....)

I liked what I saw from Mornhinweg's offense. It looks like it could be really efficient, if nothing else. But, how it'll look in the regular season when Hill and Clyde Gates are trying to get open against live defenses might be a tough deal. Even throughout camp, the quarterbacks struggled to complete passes and not get sacked. Mornhinweg's best bet would be to turn Sanchez into Alex Smith-Lite, or spend the last six weeks making Geno look like an NFL player.

bleacher reports reporting....

smith is OUT tonight

If that's true, and I suspect it is, I pray they don't give Smith the Giants game.   If Sanchez is going to be the starter against TB, and the Pats, give him every chance to win.

Smith has lots of time

I think that Rex is looking out on the field and he sees a bad team and this is a place he'd never thought he'd get to, and I think he looks around him and sees fewer people that he can trust. Pettine is gone. Bart Scott is gone. Tannenbaum is gone. Woody has been conspicuously absent. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him to circle his wagon(s).

I don't think you could be further off base. Pettine was the leak. Mehta's more upset about him being gone than Rex is. Woody insisted that the new GM keep Rex on board. Bart Scott? Mike Tannenbaum? There's no reason for Rex to give a crap about either one.

And this is an article specifically about Idzik pushing for Geno to start. Let's remain focused on that. Why would Rex float such a story of it's not true? The answer is: there is no reason. If Idzik understands that Geno isn't going to be ready on opening day, then everything is hunky-dory for Rex and the coaching staff if that's also the conclusion they've come to. It's only an issue if Idzik is pushing for Geno to start despite the fact he's not ready.

And Rex has NFL job security. He's got a head coaching contract, and will probably get another head coaching job after this one. If not, he'll get any DC job he wants. If not, he'll get a higher paying, lower pressure job on TV. Why would he risk any of that by being Mehta's mole? Especially on a non-issue? Again, he wouldn't. He sometimes says stupid things, but he's not stupid.

If that's true, and I suspect it is, I pray they don't give Smith the Giants game.   If Sanchez is going to be the starter against TB, and the Pats, give him every chance to win.

Smith has lots of time

agreed, but it's all on the headband.  if he plays well tonight its over.  if not, they split the 3rd game....

I liked what I saw from Mornhinweg's offense. It looks like it could be really efficient, if nothing else. But, how it'll look in the regular season when Hill and Clyde Gates are trying to get open against live defenses might be a tough deal. Even throughout camp, the quarterbacks struggled to complete passes and not get sacked. Mornhinweg's best bet would be to turn Sanchez into Alex Smith-Lite, or spend the last six weeks making Geno look like an NFL player.

agreed.  I'm actually kinda excited to see the starters tonight

I don't think you could be further off base. Pettine was the leak. Mehta's more upset about him being gone than Rex is. Woody insisted that the new GM keep Rex on board. Bart Scott? Mike Tannenbaum? There's no reason for Rex to give a crap about either one.

And this is an article specifically about Idzik pushing for Geno to start. Let's remain focused on that. Why would Rex float such a story of it's not true? The answer is: there is no reason. If Idzik understands that Geno isn't going to be ready on opening day, then everything is hunky-dory for Rex and the coaching staff if that's also the conclusion they've come to. It's only an issue if Idzik is pushing for Geno to start despite the fact he's not ready.

And Rex has NFL job security. He's got a head coaching contract, and will probably get another head coaching job after this one. If not, he'll get any DC job he wants. If not, he'll get a higher paying, lower pressure job on TV. Why would he risk any of that by being Mehta's mole? Especially on a non-issue? Again, he wouldn't. He sometimes says stupid things, but he's not stupid.

I've said all along that I think it would be a smart move for Rex to start telling the world that he was sabotaged by being a good soldier (which is mentioned specifically in this piece, btw). I don't think Rex is a bad coach at all, I think his ego and immaturity, combined with the early success, subverted his development as a Head Coach to the point where he probably has to go back to the drawing board as a DC and work on being a leader and administrator. The only guy giving Rex the reins of his team would be Jerry Jones, and even that's dubious considering Jerry just fired Rex's equally buffoonish brother.

As for his (possible) motivation to stick it to Idzik, Idzik has essentially come here and hog-tied Rex to the point where he's shipped most of his tale t out, he's shut him up in the media, and he's told everyone that he (Idzik) is going to dictate personnel moves. I don't care what business you're in, if the new boss comes in and publicly emasculates you, you're going to have an axe to grind. Telling the world that the boss is now rigging the QB competition gives him a plausible excuse for what is likely going to be a rough season--the narrative changes from "Rex killed the team" to "The new GM pulled the rug out on Rex." It's smart politics, and actually shows some savvy on Rex's part.

Also, Mike Tannenbaum was Rex's roll dawg. Rex had free reign to do what he wanted because Tanny was likewise weak and likewise in love with hearing himself speak. Idzik isn't throwing his arm around Rex anytime soon and catching punts with him. There's an adult in the building now, and that adult is nothing like Rex. Rex has nobody who's going to take a bullet for him. What's that line from The Departed? "All that f*ckin' and no sons."

Telling the world that the boss is now rigging the QB competition gives him a plausible excuse for what is likely going to be a rough season--the narrative changes from "Rex killed the team" to "The new GM pulled the rug out on Rex." It's smart politics, and actually shows some savvy on Rex's part.

This is where your logic falls apart. Rex leaking a story that Idzik is rigging the competition in favor of Geno only makes sense if:

A.) Idzik is rigging the competition against Rex's will - which you've said in this thread he's smart enough not to do. Or,

B.) Rex wants Geno to be the opening day starter, and wants Idzik to be culpable if it doesn't work out - which goes against the the whole, "Rex wants Sanchez at all costs" line you've been pushing forever.

Rex lying about Idzik rigging the competition hurts him now and in the future. He's not going to do that. There's zero benefit.

This is where your logic falls apart. Rex leaking a story that Idzik is rigging the competition in favor of Geno only makes sense if:

A.) Idzik is rigging the competition against Rex's will - which you've said in this thread he's smart enough not to do. Or,

B.) Rex wants Geno to be the opening day starter, and wants Idzik to be culpable if it doesn't work out - which goes against the the whole, "Rex wants Sanchez at all costs" line you've been pushing forever.

Rex lying about Idzik rigging the competition hurts him now and in the future. He's not going to do that. There's zero benefit.

Selling the story that management is overriding the coaching helps Rex, and supports the idea that his GMs were/are incompetent and subverted his tenure as coach. It doesn't matter if Idzik wants Geno to play or not--floating the idea via Mehta that Rex is having his arm twisted removes a lot of his culpability for this season. It's selling the story that Idzik flipped this season before it even started to play His Guys.

Selling the story that management is overriding the coaching helps Rex, and supports the idea that his GMs were/are incompetent and subverted his tenure as coach. It doesn't matter if Idzik wants Geno to play or not--floating the idea via Mehta that Rex is having his arm twisted removes a lot of his culpability for this season. It's selling the story that Idzik flipped this season before it even started to play His Guys.

Yeah, don't buy it.

Rex is a heart on his sleeve kinda guy, just don't see him being this conniving. And even if he were, he'd know that leaking a lie is potentially much more damaging to his career than keeping quiet. Just doesn't make sense. Only way Rex is the source is if it's true.

Yeah, don't buy it.

Rex is a heart on his sleeve kinda guy, just don't see him being this conniving. And even if he were, he'd know that leaking a lie is potentially much more damaging to his career than keeping quiet. Just doesn't make sense. Only way Rex is the source is if it's true.

Fair enough. Should be a fun season.

Why the hell would any team with a QB competition that has also witnessed the QB play that we have the last two seasons name their starter after one pre-season game?

Until the Jets prove that they are no longer a disfunctional organiztion they will be an easy mark for stories like these.  I am just amazed that anyone buys into them.

on the pre-game show, idzik was interviewed.  he said smith is going to get a shot with the #1's

so how does mehta spin it after sanchez shows you for a 2nd week he really sux and has made no improvement in decision making ?

idzik wants to replace a really crappy player !!!

damn him !!!!

Archived