NY Jets Release Center Scott Wedige, Sign Offensive Lineman Jason Smith

JetNation

Today the Jets released Center Scott Wedige who was brought in to possibly back up Pro-Bowl Center Nick Mangold.  Additionally the Jets have also brought back a familiar face to the offensive line.

Tackle Jason Smith was cut by the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday and the Jets saw an opportunity to add more depth to their offensive line and signed him. Smith is listed as 6’5″ 308 lbs and spend the 2012 season playing with the New York Jets.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
NYt6bO25JM4

View the full article

Doesn't Schlauderaff snap too?  I haven't heard much about it, but they used to talk abou tit

Pretty sure he did before they had Peterman work at center with the 2s.

The sequence of events I'm pointing to is:

1. Peterman works at center this week.

2. 3-4 days later, Wedgie gets cut the day before a preseason game. His spot is replaced by another OLman who does not play center.

Hence I interpreted that to mean Peterman was able to snap a football well enough to be an emergency center, and that (along with Peterman being a veteran starter at guard) made Wedgie's presence unnecessary.

Sure, but Wedige wasn't exactly a high level pick up.  The press acted like this was to shore up back up center, but it was just a flyer on another UDFA level guy like Shugarts, etc.

I think they're just "turning over every stone" to try to find cheap players.  Cuts start next Tuesday, and I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot more players passing thru before the season starts.

Archived