Mehta gives McElroy a reach around

Pac

It's not that simple.  You're looking at it as a fan, not as an NFL insider (GM or coach) would.

Even with all the turnovers, he is the only QB with any real experience and the thing about the team's playoff wins with him at QB would get thrown out there.

Listen, I don't like Sanchez any better than you.  I will be glad when he's no longer a part of the team, but I'm not willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.  There are valid reasons for keeping him around this season (over 8 million of them).  If they could afford the cap hit and didn't care about this season, then I'd be more inclined to agree. Do you think Rex is willing to just write off this season?  I don't.  I'm not sure Idzik is ready to just write it off and make such a ballsy move his rookie year as GM, either. Something like that could end his "honeymoon" with Woody very quickly.

As much as Rex loves Sanchez, there would be a huge blowup and rift created between Idzik and Rex that would never be breached.  It would be a given that Rex would be a goner and a lame duck.  The tension in and around the team would destroy morale and the season anyway.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

But Mark has not benefitted from that experience.....he continues to fail and fail in the same way.  Experience is no asset for Sanchez.

But Mark has not benefitted from that experience.....he continues to fail and fail in the same way.  Experience is no asset for Sanchez.

In many ways he hasn't, but in many others he has.  You cannot make a blanket statement like that.  You don't know WHAT he has benefitted from.  Every single play of Mark's isn't awful.  Besides, most know that his confidence is shot, so that often trumps what he learned.  He knows what he's supposed to do, but because he has no confidence, he hesitates or presses and screws up because he's afraid of screwing up.

In many ways he hasn't, but in many others he has.  You cannot make a blanket statement like that.  You don't know WHAT he has benefitted from.  Every single play of Mark's isn't awful.  Besides, most know that his confidence is shot, so that often trumps what he learned.  He knows what he's supposed to do, but because he has no confidence, he hesitates or presses and screws up because he's afraid of screwing up.

Aren't you reinforcing my argument when you talk about his confidence being shot?  I base my statement that he has not benefited on the fact that he still makes rookie mistakes over and over and he is more than four years in.

Aren't you reinforcing my argument when you talk about his confidence being shot?  I base my statement that he has not benefited on the fact that he still makes rookie mistakes over and over and he is more than four years in.

No.  Not having learned is very different than learning, but can't do it the way you know you should because of self doubts and low self-confidence.  People have to be relaxed and confident to do their best.  Constantly tell someone not to make a mistake, to be careful, and you cause them to make mistakes.  They get so uptight they can't relax, truly focus, and their muscle coordination gets off.  I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd bet bundle that's at the root of Sanchez problem.  I'm not saying he'd turn into some great QB if the wasn't dealing with it, but I think he could eliminate the butt fumble-type plays and a lot of turnovers.

Archived