Idzik proving to be the right man at the right time....

Newark

Not saying all his moves have worked but he has made some shrewd calculated moves with more to come in Year 2 and beyond. I love how he has quieted the media to a large extent because I don't take the fabricated Daily News source stories as serious reporting anyways. Some of the draft picks look golden and some are BLAH!!. Don't like that every pick made the roster but at least they are being given a chance. He has slowly but surely restored Rex as a coach as opposed to a circus sideshow. He is coaching his arse off albeit those challenges were maddening. All in all Johnny Boy is GM of the Year!!! GO JETS!!!

I'd like to see Idzik lock up Big Mo to a team friendly long-term deal.   I'd also like to keep Harris with at a much lower price....not sure the specifics of his current deal but I know he's getting Willis $ and was uncuttable this year.   

I think Idzik's biggest contribution so far is reigning in Rex and getting a real OC to lead the offense.   Rex is one of the best defense minds in the NFL but he needs someone to complement him on offense.   It turns out he also needs Dick Curl, but that is for another discussion. 

I too would like to see big Mo signed to an extension; the thing that works out in favor of a team friendly deal is he's from the area, seems to love playing for rex, but at the end of the day money talks and the fact that he could be playing for ~$1.5 mill next year and the tag the next two years, he'd probably opt for financial security rather than riding out two or three years before he gets a long contract.  

I'm also usually in the camp that I'd rather spend my big money on dlineman and supplement the linebackers, especially ILBs, with draft picks as their play is fairly predicated on the guys in front of them doing all the damage.  Davis is under contract for a couple more and it's not unreasonable to think with the development of the guys on the line, you could draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and not skip a beat in terms of overall play if harris is let go.

I too would like to see big Mo signed to an extension; the thing that works out in favor of a team friendly deal is he's from the area, seems to love playing for rex, but at the end of the day money talks and the fact that he could be playing for ~$1.5 mill next year and the tag the next two years, he'd probably opt for financial security rather than riding out two or three years before he gets a long contract.

I'm also usually in the camp that I'd rather spend my big money on dlineman and supplement the linebackers, especially ILBs, with draft picks as their play is fairly predicated on the guys in front of them doing all the damage. Davis is under contract for a couple more and it's not unreasonable to think with the development of the guys on the line, you could draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and not skip a beat in terms of overall play if harris is let go.

I dont think players like Mo and Harris rework their deals without some assurance Rex is sticking around. They aren't going to get locked down to an unknown situation.

So deciding Rex's fate is a big part of this, I think they need to extend him the second the Jets hit 8 wins.

I dont think players like Mo and Harris rework their deals without some assurance Rex is sticking around. They aren't going to get locked down to an unknown situation.

So deciding Rex's fate is a big part of this, I think they need to extend him the second the Jets hit 8 wins.

Good point and I agree. This is the first time in a long time that I've seen the defense and the offense talking and being together on and off the field, they seem to have a really tight family going on.

Good point and I agree. This is the first time in a long time that I've seen the defense and the offense talking and being together on and off the field, they seem to have a really tight family going on.

It's early and against sub-par opposition but I can't recall a time when we were ever ranked in the top 10 in offense and defense in the same season. I think Rex caught a lot of flak for masquerading as a balanced head coach when I'm pretty sure everyone knew he had literally 0 interest in the offense. It was pretty telling on Sunday when during the post game he refused to take any credit for the offense. I couldn't imagine a better coaching scenario for the Jets than Rex as DC/HC and a capable OC running the offense.

That being said, he is still the head coach, and still has some growing to do as far as timeout and challenge management are concerned but I'll take those lumps if our defense is this good always.

Archived