Brian Winters vs. Geno Atkins

eboozer

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 4h

Brian Winters said he's been requesting to line up against Sheldon Richardson in practice because he has a similar style to Geno Atkins.

Like the kids attitude. Is taking his job and his responsibility to his teammates very seriously.

If he can just hold the fort with Atkins, and Geno can audible to the hot read or a run away from the blitz when it is coming will give us a fighting chance in this game. They're a good team, but I still think Marty can scheme us to 20 pts. It will be up to the "D" and special teams to help us win the starting field position battle and T. O. P.

Hopefully, Cribbs can pull off some magic on Sun.

NEW YORK JETS

Winters preps to block Geno from Geno

October, 24, 2013

OCT 24

7:00

PM ET

By Matt Ehalt | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Facing Geno Atkins on Sunday has Jets guard Brian Winters extending his studying sessions in preparation this week.

"I'm going to approach it the same way I have these other players, but he's definitely a standout guy," Winters said. "Got to study him a little bit more than normal."

The Jets' rookie guard has a monumental task ahead of him on Sunday, when he will try to stonewall Cincinnati's Pro Bowl defensive tackle. While it's not a true homecoming for the rookie, he will be playing in his home state of Ohio, where he also played college ball at Kent State.

Rookie guard Brian Winters faces his biggest test to date on Sunday.

"It's about as big a challenge as it gets," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "[Atkins] is an outstanding player."

The Bengals line Atkins up over both left and right guard, meaning Winters and Willie Colon are going to be in for a battle. Colon, who played previously with the Steelers, is the only one of the two who has familiarity with Atkins.

Atkins is a phenomenal interior pass-rusher, totaling 24 sacks in his last 39 games, including four this season. He's aided by a deep and talented Cincinnati defensive line that ranks among the best in football, and makes it difficult for offenses to choose whom to double team. Cincinnati's defense is ninth in yards allowed.

To prepare for Atkins, Winters said he's asked to practice against fellow rookie, Sheldon Richardson, because he believes Atkins and Richardson have similar playing styles.

"[Atkins] has got a great motor. He's got low leverage, he's an athlete. That's what he brings to the table," Winters said. "He doesn't stop. He's one of those players. He's a go-getter."

Winters, a native of Hudson, Ohio, said he grew up approximately four hours from Cincinnati. The third-round pick said this game would be more of a homecoming for him if the Jets were playing in Cleveland, which is closer to his hometown. He's expecting about six or seven family members and friends to be in attendance at Paul Brown Stadium as the Jets look to improve to 5-3.

"It's not too far (away) but we should have a good crowd there," Winters said.

Winters will make his fourth straight start at left guard Sunday, as he supplanted Vladimir Ducasse on Oct. 7 and has held the position since. He's had ups and downs, like any rookie would, and is coming off a poor game as he allowed two sacks in the Jets' 30-27 overtime win over the Patriots on Sunday.

The rookie, who played left tackle for Kent State last season, has learned on the fly as he's transitioned to an interior line spot. He credited offensive line coach Mike Devlin, Colon and center Nick Mangold for helping him along the way, saying it's hard to not look good when playing next to Mangold.

"Each week is an increase," Winters said. "At first it was a little slow but as weeks go (by) I'm getting more comfortable with the plays being run. Doing well."

This is the match up that scares me the most.  Winters has been struggling against back ups.   Worries me to think what might happen against Pro Bowlers

This is where Marty has to dig deep into the playbook and find the plays they used in Philly to avoid the Marcus Ware and Justin Tucks and JPP's of the world.

Geno also has to have his head in the game to audible out of plays that are going to get blown up. He's been bad at that so far.

Archived