The Rex Factor

Smashmouth

I think this is something that could make for some good discussion. We all know Rex's personality, its undeniable. He's always up after a win so much so to the point of being out of breath and excited at his pressers. When he loses he's obviously down and out and looking totally miserable . So the guy wears his heart on his sleeve, not going to fault him much for that since its basically his personality. As he always says "I'm going to be true to myself" and he certainly is no doubt.

What I want to discuss here is Rex's record after either a big victory over the years OR the fact that this year after every victory the Jets seem to come back flat and lay an egg. Is this a direct reflection of this team taking on its coaches personality ? Does he have that much influence over his team based on his actions ? I mean we all know he's a big Braggart after a victory, although he's toned it down over all with the media there's no telling what he's doing behind the scenes. Could this attitude effect his players, could it be he's pumping up their egos a bit too much after a victory giving them a false sense of greatness? Does him being down and out and miserable pump up his players to do well and give that extra effort ? Does Rex need to recognize how much he actually effects his team and make adjustments accordingly to get more out of his players ?

This year to me seems like a microcosm of Rex's career here with loses after big wins. I started this thread not to bash Rex but to try and figure the guy out because In My Opinion I think the guy does have a huge effect on his players more so than a large percentage of coaches in the NFL.

I think this is something that could make for some good discussion. We all know Rex's personality, its undeniable. He's always up after a win so much so to the point of being out of breath and excited at his pressers. When he loses he's obviously down and out and looking totally miserable . So the guy wears his heart on his sleeve, not going to fault him much for that since its basically his personality. As he always says "I'm going to be true to myself" and he certainly is no doubt.

What I want to discuss here is Rex's record after either a big victory over the years OR the fact that this year after every victory the Jets seem to come back flat and lay an egg. Is this a direct reflection of this team taking on its coaches personality ? Does he have that much influence over his team based on his actions ? I mean we all know he's a big Braggart after a victory, although he's toned it down over all with the media there's no telling what he's doing behind the scenes. Could this attitude effect his players, could it be he's pumping up their egos a bit too much after a victory giving them a false sense of greatness? Does him being down and out and miserable pump up his players to do well and give that extra effort ? Does Rex need to recognize how much he actually effects his team and make adjustments accordingly to get more out of his players ?

This year to me seems like a microcosm of Rex's career here with loses after big wins. I started this thread not to bash Rex but to try and figure the guy out because In My Opinion I think the guy does have a huge effect on his players more so than a large percentage of coaches in the NFL.

I think Rex is still learning.  I think he is searching for that perfect mixture on of pumping them up and dragging them through the mud. I think he will get it fixed but yeah, getting blown out after a huge win is something that needs to be fixed.

There are too many personal Super Bowls imo. There's always a sense of relief after a huge win against a personal rival. We can always go back to the Steelers game- where Rex even admitted he had nothing to use to get the guys up for the game. 

There's not a lot of talent on this team. That's the issue.

Being up and down is a symptom of parity. The Bengals whoop it up on the Jets then lay an egg in Miami. Many teams are guilty of this sort of thing. When you have the second youngest roster in the league (I believe), it's going to be even more apparent.

It's going to be a big deal to everyone in that locker room every time they beat the Pats until it isn't anymore. That will come with the team getting more talent and maturing.

I've explained it to friends like this.... Rex does an amazing job getting the team UP for a game, they come in and win, and it's almost impossible to then go a whole week staying UP. So it's natural that at times they'll come DOWN and not be able to just turn the UP back on in a week, hence the deflating losses that follow inspiring wins. It takes a loss, to get the team tune back in to being UP.

In the past I've seen it, but it hasn't been so evident as it is this year with the winning every other week craziness... but you know what? That roller coaster is enough to have us on track for 8-8 with a cruddy team. If he can break his pattern once or twice and get consecutive wins, we shoot to 10-6... with a cruddy team.

I've been about as critical of Rex as anyone, but I'm leaning towards retaining him. The job he does coaching isn't always perfect, but a coach that can get wins out of this squad the way he has is invaluable in this league. Keep surrounding him with talented players, especially at QB, and the sky is the limit.

There are too many personal Super Bowls imo. There's always a sense of relief after a huge win against a personal rival. We can always go back to the Steelers game- where Rex even admitted he had nothing to use to get the guys up for the game. 

You mean like these are the guys who ruined your chance at a SB by totally gutting you on both sides of the ball in the AFCCG ? I could think of plenty of motivational tools from that first half debacle

Being up and down is a symptom of parity. The Bengals whoop it up on the Jets then lay an egg in Miami. Many teams are guilty of this sort of thing. When you have the second youngest roster in the league (I believe), it's going to be even more apparent.

It's going to be a big deal to everyone in that locker room every time they beat the Pats until it isn't anymore. That will come with the team getting more talent and maturing.

There is no doubt Slats that a lack of talent contributes but then how do you explain beating a team like the Saints who have been playing damn good football on both sides of the ball ? Sure a lot of times it comes down to match ups but the Saints are a pretty well rounded team. For Instance I do not think we match up well vs the Dolphins and I feel those remaining games with them could be brutal. They have a very fast swarming Defense and that usually does not bode well for the Jets offense the past 5 + years /

I think the coaching has a lot to do with it in a psychological sense and how to push the right buttons. The master IMO at this was Bill Parcells, sure he had some short comings but for the most part he was the master motivator and he never let his players think they were bigger than the game. He was always there to take them down a notch in order to get more out of them. The more Parcells beat down his players the more they wanted to perform and Impress him.

That's what I'm looking for from Rex hes too much the players buddy rather than the task master they want to impress.

This.  Sometimes I wonder if fans on this board actually watch other games or follow the NFL.  The perfect example of this was the "Watching the Dolphags game" thread that someone posted last week.  Just because the Dolphags shut down Dalton, Rex sucks and so does the team.  Meanwhile, Brees scored 39pts vs. those same Dolphags and the Jets just held them to 20. Or look at the Steelers vs. Pats this week.  Steelers gave up 55 pts, held the Jets to 6.  lol

The NFL is so situational based week to week, its not even funny.  So many factors play into who wins or losses that its almost impossible to be consistent week to week, unless ofcourse, you have an elite QB.  Rex hasnt even had an average QB for his entire tenure (blame who ever you want) but thats the truth.  Its so hard to win with the caliber QB play he's had its really quite impressive he's an above .500 HC.

Then throw in the fact that you've got one of the youngest teams in the league, starting 5 rookies and 11 new starters...thats it.  There's no science beyond it.  You're playing with a young inexperienced team.  Ups and downs are to be expected.  IMO, this has very little to do with Rex and his preparation or ability as a coach than it has to do with the players that take the field on Sunday havent been very good for the last 2 years.

This year to me seems like a microcosm of Rex's career here with loses after big wins. I started this thread not to bash Rex but to try and figure the guy out because In My Opinion I think the guy does have a huge effect on his players more so than a large percentage of coaches

in the NFL.

I remember a couple of times Rex's team came back after big games and won a 2nd big game in a row: 2009/2010 @ Cincinnati then @ San Diego and 2010/2011 @Indy then @New England. Of course they subsequently lost @Indy and @Pittsburgh respectively. But still.

I think the reason this team is not putting back to back wins together is because the roster is not very good. I think the reason they are not putting back to back losses together is partially because Rex is, in fact, quite good.

This was supposedly a bottom-5 team (the worst of the worst, ranked #32, if you asked ESPN's "experts").  

That was before anyone knew Milliner would miss the better part of a month and play horribly the other games, and before anyone knew that Cromartie would play as badly as Milliner who was benched, and before our already awful starting WRs and TEs started dropping like flies (when they weren't dropping footballs).  

Before all that was factored in, the upside was winning 1 out of every 3 games.  They win 1 out of every 2 games instead and people say it's indicative that the HC is screwing up.

Mmm-kay.

I think the reason this team is not putting back to back wins together is because the roster is not very good. I think the reason they are not putting back to back losses together is partially because Rex is, in fact, quite good.

That's fine but then how do you beat the Saints with said bad roster ? A lot of the Saints game had to do with Matchups as well. Our DL disrupted Brees' comfort zone in the pocket  by basically collapsing it. And they had no way to stop Ivory who shredded them. 200 yards rushing is always a good recipie for success and I'm sure Rex did not draw up that offensive game plan

That's fine but then how do you beat the Saints with said bad roster ? A lot of the Saints game had to do with Matchups as well. Our DL disrupted Brees' comfort zone in the pocket  by basically collapsing it. And they had no way to stop Ivory who shredded them. 200 yards rushing is always a good recipie for success and I'm sure Rex did not draw up that offensive game plan

Execution.  And execution is inconsistent when you're coaching a young team, in a complicated system.  I'm sure the Jets game plan wasnt to let Dalton rip them to shreds.  I'm sure it was similar to the what they had vs. the Saints but just didnt execute.  The turnovers helped too.  Jets turned it over twice the week before, lost.  The Jets didnt turn it over this week, forced 2 turnovers and won.  

And I'd say a game plan that consisted of 20 passes to 36 runs with 5 different wildcat looks had Rex written all over it.

This was supposedly a bottom-5 team (the worst of the worst, ranked #32, if you asked ESPN's "experts").  

That was before anyone knew Milliner would miss the better part of a month and play horribly the other games, and before anyone knew that Cromartie would play as badly as Milliner who was benched, and before our already awful starting WRs and TEs started dropping like flies (when they weren't dropping footballs).  

Before all that was factored in, the upside was winning 1 out of every 3 games.  They win 1 out of every 2 games instead and people say it's indicative that the HC is screwing up.

Mmm-kay.

he is making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

And I'd say a game plan that consisted of 20 passes to 36 runs with 5 different wildcat looks had Rex written all over it.

Sure it did on Tuesday Rex had his meeting with the coaches and it went something like this.

Rex : Hey Wig Lets run the ball a little more this week and mix in a few wildcat plays and stuff

Mornhinwig: you got it coach.

This was a no brainer because most of our skill players that actually know the offense and have some type of skill are hurt. Don't think we had much of a choice. If our DL don't collapse the pocket like they did we probably get torched game plan or no game plan the guys up front won this game for us along with Ivory running like a freak

Sure it did on Tuesday Rex had his meeting with the coaches and it went something like this.

Rex : Hey Wig Lets run the ball a little more this week and mix in a few wildcat plays and stuff

Mornhinwig: you got it coach.

This was a no brainer because most of our skill players that actually know the offense and have some type of skill are hurt. Don't think we had much of a choice. If our DL don't collapse the pocket like they did we probably get torched game plan or no game plan the guys up front won this game for us along with Ivory running like a freak

Ok, well you said he didnt.  

Well I meant I didn't think Rex was involved in any scheming since hes admitted to not having that offensive mind and hes busy with the defense anyway.

Probably right, that work he does on the D, obviously.  But I think just stating, "hey, I want a heavy focus on the run this week" is influence enough for a OC who's known to like to throw, throw and throw some more. 

I've explained it to friends like this.... Rex does an amazing job getting the team UP for a game, they come in and win, and it's almost impossible to then go a whole week staying UP. So it's natural that at times they'll come DOWN and not be able to just turn the UP back on in a week, hence the deflating losses that follow inspiring wins. It takes a loss, to get the team tune back in to being UP.

In the past I've seen it, but it hasn't been so evident as it is this year with the winning every other week craziness... but you know what? That roller coaster is enough to have us on track for 8-8 with a cruddy team. If he can break his pattern once or twice and get consecutive wins, we shoot to 10-6... with a cruddy team.

I've been about as critical of Rex as anyone, but I'm leaning towards retaining him. The job he does coaching isn't always perfect, but a coach that can get wins out of this squad the way he has is invaluable in this league. Keep surrounding him with talented players, especially at QB, and the sky is the limit.

Yeah I'm getting the slight lean towards retaining him as well. One thing is if Idzik does want to retain Rex I do not think it will be a long term deal probably 2 years with extension options

I agree 100%.

Archived