Kerley Could Be Back

flgreen

NOV 22

11:59

AM ET

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It looks like wide receiver Jeremy Kerley could be back when the Jets head to Baltimore this Sunday to face the Ravens. Although Kerley still wore the red no-contact jersey, he was in some team reps and made a two-handed catch. On Thursday, he appeared to be catching balls one-handed to avoid reinjuring his elbow.

The Jets could use Kerley. Last week Geno Smith had three turnovers in Buffalo, without Kerley as a short-yardage option.

If Kerley is available, it would be the first game that he and Santonio Holmes played together since Sept. 29 in Tennessee. Holmes said on Thursday that he expects to play.

Holmes (hamstring/foot) appeared to practice more, participating in individual drills for the portion of practice open to the media. David Nelson, who missed Thursday’s practice due to an illness, also appeared to take part in drills.

Linebacker Garrett McIntyre (knee) rode a bike.

Kerley, Holmes may actually play in same game

By Brian Lewis

November 22, 2013 | 12:48pm

Modal Trigger

kerley.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Jeremy Kerley and Santonio Holmes at practice last season.

Photo: Jeff Zelevansky

Jets wide receiver Jeremy Kerley appears to be making progress, and there’s a good chance he might play Sunday in Baltimore. He took part in team drills Friday during the part of practice the media was permitted to watch, and actually caught passes with both hands, after being limited to using one hand Thursday.

Kerley – Gang Green’s leading receiver in terms of catches – was still clad in the red jersey, meaning no contact. But it’s an auspicious sign for a possible return Sunday against the Ravens.

Wideout Santonio Holmes (foot/hamstring) was also participating in team drills. After not practicing Wednesday and being limited on Thursday, Holmes had said he expects to play Sunday.

“Why wouldn’t I?’’ Holmes snapped on Thursday. “I don’t think there’s any problem that I have right now. I played on it last Sunday, so everything is still intact.

“I’ve been limited all season. I’m pretty sure that’s the way it’s going to be until the end of the season.’’

With Holmes having missed five straight games before playing last Sunday in Buffalo, the Jets receiving corps has been patchwork. If Holmes can play on Sunday in Baltimore, it would mark the first time he and Kerley play together since Week 4.

But with David Nelson – who sat out Thursday due to an undisclosed illness – also taking part in team drills, struggling quarterback Geno Smith should have more weapons at his disposal against the Ravens.

Kerley, Holmes may actually play in same game

By Brian Lewis

With Holmes having missed five straight games before playing last Sunday in Buffalo, the Jets receiving corps has been patchwork. If Holmes can play on Sunday in Baltimore, it would mark the first time he and Kerley play together since Week 4.

Rex just said he thinks Kerley is out

I was going to say, it would be like a miracle for Kerley to play, but IF Holmes can play Sunday it will be the first time they can play together since Week 4?  I would rather not revisit Week 4 anyway. 

I don't understand why this article exists. Although he did practice, he was in a no-contact jersey and I believe was practicing in a big arm brace. That is encouraging progress but I don't see how that suggests any chance he plays this week. The fact he's even listed as doubtful is a surprise.

Yes, Kerley "could be back," just like Geno "could be good this week," our offensive line "could find a way to protect the QB," and our secondary "could defend a pass or two."

Archived