Statistical Breakdown of Geno Smith

flgreen

Granted, a good portion of Geno's mistakes were his own fault but at the same time there were mistakes made by inexperience at the WR position. Also as good as the line was for the run game, there were times where they gave Geno next to no time to get rid of the ball. Brick had his worst season as a pro, and Winters had some serious growing pains. Brick gave up 8 sacks alone. You can't put a rookie in the lineup with no starting caliber WRs, and a shaky O-line and expect him to excel. Give Geno some serious help on offense; then you can make a fair evaluation of whether or not he can run this offense. 

Actually he did.  In the top 10 Smith would have been a disaster.   At 39 he had good value, and they couldn't pass on him 

They couldn't? Why not, he was supposed to be top 10, moped and cried when he wasn't drafted top 10, and then 30+teams did not have the "couldn't pass" on him attitude that we took at 39.

After finishing DEAD LAST in the NFL in starter QBR ratings, apparently the "couldn't pass" attitude we took was completely wrong compared to the "could pass" and will pass of the other 31 teams, don't you think?

They couldn't? Why not, he was supposed to be top 10, moped and cried when he wasn't drafted top 10, and then 30+teams did not have the "couldn't pass" on him attitude that we took at 39.

After finishing DEAD LAST in the NFL in starter QBR ratings, apparently the "couldn't pass" attitude we took was completely wrong compared to the "could pass" and will pass of the other 31 teams, don't you think?

No they couldn't.  Unless they were very stupid.  All of the other 31 teams weren't as desperate for a QB as the Jets were. (Are)

Smith has a very strong arm, and can make plays with his feet.  Problem was he had never played under center, didn't react well to adversity, and had a reputation of not being passionate.  If they had taken him at 9 or 13 I would have been insane.  But yeah at 39 he had very good value, and they had to take him.

I'm one of the few people on here that doesn't think he is going to be the starting QB next season, but at 39 in last year's draft I would have taken him

No they couldn't.  Unless they were very stupid.  All of the other 31 teams weren't as desperate for a QB as the Jets were. (Are)

Smith has a very strong arm, and can make plays with his feet.  Problem was he had never played under center, didn't react well to adversity, and had a reputation of not being passionate.  If they had taken him at 9 or 13 I would have been insane.  But yeah at 39 he had very good value, and they had to take him.

I'm one of the few people on here that doesn't think he is going to be the starting QB next season, but at 39 in last year's draft I would have taken him

TB, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota etc. weren't desperate? TB passed over him to WISELY take Glennon in the 3rd, who has turned out far better than Smith.

If the guy stinks, BUT fits a position you are desperate for, do you go ahead and take that player, knowing the other 31 teams passed over him for a reason. Boy, I hope Idzik doesn't repeat that trend. If you think the guy stinks, but then all of a sudden, he is there for you to pick, and you are desperate, you go ahead and take a guy, you thought stunk, but now since he is available, you try to convince yourself that he doesn't somehow stink? I hope not.

Also, probably all those teams that thought about taking Smith, but recognized his weaknesses and passed on him, are probably breathing a sigh of relief, given the year he had, don't you think?

I think the play of geno will improve next year. He showed signs of improvement the last quarter of the season. I think the game is slowing down for geno, and finding his legs really improved his game. I recorded the last two games of the season, browns & dolfins and geno looked much improved from mid season.

I think the play of geno will improve next year. He showed signs of improvement the last quarter of the season. I think the game is slowing down for geno, and finding his legs really improved his game. I recorded the last two games of the season, browns & dolfins and geno looked much improved from mid season.

How could his play not improve? He was THAT BAD. And a linebacker is going to find his head as he goes finding his legs.  He has no choice but to run since Marty is telling him to run because he cant read defenses. He has zero pocket awareness. He has lousy footwork, no ability to go through his progressions. Thus, its run for your life because the OL can only hold off for so long.  Frett not, he is going to get clocked next year and good......

How could his play not improve? He was THAT BAD. And a linebacker is going to find his head as he goes finding his legs.  He has no choice but to run since Marty is telling him to run because he cant read defenses. He has zero pocket awareness. He has lousy footwork, no ability to go through his progressions. Thus, its run for your life because the OL can only hold off for so long.  Frett not, he is going to get clocked next year and good......

He was avg at best the last quarter of the season. People act like he had some 300+ 4TD game against the Dolphins.   Yeah he looked better than some of his 3 INT and clueless games, but that doesn't make him better.  It just meant he was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL last year who had an avg game, if you can even call it that.     When people start throwing around "Geno looked great"  in games where most people would say it wasn't exactly a good game, you know the guy stinks.     

I mean the argument is the BIlls backup QB had similar numbers as Geno did in week 16.  Nobody is saying that kid is the future anywhere.  But hey Geno puts up 180 yards passing and he's bound to be great.  Makes little sense.

Archived