RotoPat ranks the head coaches

T0mShane

I like Rex, I really do.   It doesn't change the fact that he makes some mind-boggling decisions both in-game and out.  

1 - Rex still doesn't have a grasp on what the challenge flag is and after 5 years still treats it as a do-over flag.  

2 - Tony Sparano?  

3 - "Mark Sanchez gives us the best to chance to win"

4 - I've been watching the NFL for 30 years and I have never before seen a coach play a full 2nd half of a winnable game vs. a division rival without a punt returner.    Maybe Rex is so innovative that nobody else has caught on but that one still baffles me. 

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that really stick out. 

1. No worse than Pete Carroll did in the freaking Superbowl.  

2. Indefensible. 

3. Probably was true, as infuriating as it was to watch.

4. This did not happen.  It just didn't.  There were I think 3 punts in question and allegedly Wilson (our returner with Kerley out) was supposed to be out there for the first one but he was too busy adjusting how far up his ass his head was.  We went over this not that long ago.  We fielded almost a dozen punts that day and did not go the whole 2nd half without a punt returner.  There were 2x that it was clear we let the punt go on purpose.  Wilson wasn't returning anything anyway, and it was pouring out and he was all mental that game and letting it bounce is better than watching Wilson fumble it away in the rain.  One of the 2 times I think the punt was from in our own territory already and no matter what in that rain we were either getting pinned, it was going to be a touchback, or the punt was going to be fumbled away.  When the rain subsided, we went back to having our (backup) punt returner back there.  That's my recollection, but you're welcome to go look up the play-by-play and correct me.

And Ryan has done worse than this, but the only one of the 4 things you mention that is inexcusable/indefensible is hiring Sparano.  A good partial guess is they all got sweet-talked into it by Parcells who, through the end of the Tannenbaum era, was still revered like he never made a mistake about anything ever.  Tannenbaum and Parcells were tight (or they were once), Parcells and Sparano obviously had a strong connection, and Rex likes to run the ball on offense to keep his precious defense off the field.  One, it's his general philosophy (one shared by the #2 HC in this joke of a list).  Two, it running the ball means there's less clock for his defense to give up points/yards.  Three, it keeps the score down most of the time because there's little reason for the opponent to go pass-happy when we're not racking up points.  

The challenge stuff is overblown.  Every coach does that stuff and no fan of any team likes to see it happen.  Personally I think it's stupid to challenge a play you're not getting overturned, and then justify it by saying you were going to call time out anyway.  There was one game - Buffalo I think - where it let them back in it, and therefore prevented us from winning by a larger margin ,because Rex did that twice and then we didn't have any challenges left for an actual challenge-worthy play that would have been reversed.  Let Buffalo back into a game that should have ended as a blowout.  

Meanwhile we still won the game and this doesn't routinely happen.  There's a guy in the booth (on every team) and he tells the coach if it's a no-brainer, if it's close, or whatever.  By the way, both Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, and John Fox - each supposedly so much smarter than Ryan - had less success on challenges than Rex Ryan last year. Now consider that we know 2 of them were throwaways (not serious challenges) in the same game, and his # of challenges (5) and success at them (2 of 5; lose one, win one, lose one, win one, lose one).  

People here make it sound like every coach who has success in the league only challenges sure things and gets it right 90% of the time.  Everyone except Ryan, who makes 1-2 dumb challenges every week.  Except that it isn't true.  7 challenges in 16 games, and 2 of them were purposely called as time outs in a game where we were probably already up by double digits or something.  (I still don't like using them that way, but they were ultimately harmless).

As I mentioned above, Carroll did the exact same thing in the SB, and it was obvious to everyone watching - Carroll included - that there was no chance of it getting reversed.  None.  

So considering that Ryan twice in 1 game used a challenge as a time out, the rest of the season he was 2 of 5 (about average).  Also I can't remember the play but I think one of them was ridiculous that it wasn't overturned.  I don't know, maybe it was the prior season.  But even still, that means other than a Buffalo game that we won (just that we should have won by a lot more), the other 15 games this past year Rex threw a flag about once every 3 games and was about as likely to win the challenge as lose it.   

Rex Ryan 2 of 7

John Harbaugh 2 of 8

Ron Rivera 1 of 7

John Fox 1 of 7

Anyway I think it's an overblown complaint given the frequency that challenges occur and the shoddy percentage of some others that are supposed to be so much smarter. 

If I was piling on I'd have skipped that complaint and instead substituted that he made a frat boy clown and a cancerous scumbag team captains as a motivational tool to get each of them to become better leaders.  Ugh.  You make someone a captain if he first acts like a captain and has earned it.  Meh.  Even with this complaint, it's not like this is and will be an ongoing problem that will continue to plague the team as long as Ryan is here.

The challenge stuff is overblown.  Every coach does that stuff and no fan of any team likes to see it happen.  Personally I think it's stupid to challenge a play you're not getting overturned, and then justify it by saying you were going to call time out anyway.  There was one game - Buffalo I think - where it let them back in it, and therefore prevented us from winning by a larger margin ,because Rex did that twice and then we didn't have any challenges left for an actual challenge-worthy play that would have been reversed.  Let Buffalo back into a game that should have ended as a blowout.  

Meanwhile we still won the game and this doesn't routinely happen.  There's a guy in the booth (on every team) and he tells the coach if it's a no-brainer, if it's close, or whatever.  By the way, both Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, and John Fox - each supposedly so much smarter than Ryan - had less success on challenges than Rex Ryan last year. Now consider that we know 2 of them were throwaways (not serious challenges) in the same game, and his # of challenges (5) and success at them (2 of 5; lose one, win one, lose one, win one, lose one).  

People here make it sound like every coach who has success in the league only challenges sure things and gets it right 90% of the time.  Everyone except Ryan, who makes 1-2 dumb challenges every week.  Except that it isn't true.  7 challenges in 16 games, and 2 of them were purposely called as time outs in a game where we were probably already up by double digits or something.  (I still don't like using them that way, but they were ultimately harmless).

As I mentioned above, Carroll did the exact same thing in the SB, and it was obvious to everyone watching - Carroll included - that there was no chance of it getting reversed.  None.  

So considering that Ryan twice in 1 game used a challenge as a time out, the rest of the season he was 2 of 5 (about average).  Also I can't remember the play but I think one of them was ridiculous that it wasn't overturned.  I don't know, maybe it was the prior season.  But even still, that means other than a Buffalo game that we won (just that we should have won by a lot more), the other 15 games this past year Rex threw a flag about once every 3 games and was about as likely to win the challenge as lose it.   

Rex Ryan 2 of 7

John Harbaugh 2 of 8

Ron Rivera 1 of 7

John Fox 1 of 7

Anyway I think it's an overblown complaint given the frequency that challenges occur and the shoddy percentage of some others that are supposed to be so much smarter. 

If I was piling on I'd have skipped that complaint and instead substituted that he made a frat boy clown and a cancerous scumbag team captains as a motivational tool to get each of them to become better leaders.  Ugh.  You make someone a captain if he first acts like a captain and has earned it.  Meh.  Even with this complaint, it's not like this is and will be an ongoing problem that will continue to plague the team as long as Ryan is here.

I think part of it too is that with the rule changes, coaches seem a lot less worried about how they use their challenges.  With every score and turnover being automatically reviewed on top of everything inside of two minutes, they feel like they can be a bit more reckless with them.  Of course there's times you can shoot yourself in the foot with that kind of philosophy (mostly with potential non-calls of would-be turnovers/scores).  Although as far as the timeout thing goes, we've all seen instances over the years where a coach has been thinking about challenging a play and the opposing team is about to snap the ball so he calls a timeout while still deciding whether or not to challenge, and we've all ultimately thought to ourselves that whoever did that was a complete dipsh*t.  Especially these days, that's absolute idiocy and there's no reason not to simply throw the flag out there at that point.  So in a situation like that, I could understand it.

Rex Ryan 2 of 7

John Harbaugh 2 of 8

Ron Rivera 1 of 7

John Fox 1 of 7

I think part of it too is that with the rule changes, coaches seem a lot less worried about how they use their challenges.  With every score and turnover being automatically reviewed on top of everything inside of two minutes, they feel like they can be a bit more reckless with them.  Of course there's times you can shoot yourself in the foot with that kind of philosophy (mostly with potential non-calls of would-be turnovers/scores).  Although as far as the timeout thing goes, we've all seen instances over the years where a coach has been thinking about challenging a play and the opposing team is about to snap the ball so he calls a timeout while still deciding whether or not to challenge, and we've all ultimately thought to ourselves that whoever did that was a complete dipsh*t.  Especially these days, that's absolute idiocy and there's no reason not to simply throw the flag out there at that point.  So in a situation like that, I could understand it.

THIS.

The rules changes that went into effect two years ago left coaches with very few decisions to make as far as challenges go. 

I think the blasting of coaches based on their success at replay challenges is ridiculous on spec. Can you imagine anyone criticizing Landry or Lombardi on such nonsense?

The whole process is moronic. It's an insanely bad system.  There is no definable period of time you have to make a decision. The other team can shorten that time by running up to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball (this is beyond ludicrous to me for far too many reasons to enumerate.) No one can tell me what replays the ref under the hood can or can't see; this makes televisions announcers look stupid on a regular basis as one would have to assume the refs can't see all the replays the networks can show based on the varying opinions between announcers and refs but who knows, there is no transparency from the league as to what replays are available to the official under the hood. So based on that, who knows what replays the coaches in the booth can see to make and insanely quick decision as to how to advise their head coach? 

Understanding how truly poorly designed this system is, it is impossible for me, in good conscience, to use it as a way to criticize coaches. 

THIS.

The rules changes that went into effect two years ago left coaches with very few decisions to make as far as challenges go.

I think the blasting of coaches based on their success at replay challenges is ridiculous on spec. Can you imagine anyone criticizing Landry or Lombardi on such nonsense?

The whole process is moronic. It's an insanely bad system. There is no definable period of time you have to make a decision. The other team can shorten that time by running up to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball (this is beyond ludicrous to me for far too many reasons to enumerate.) No one can tell me what replays the ref under the hood can or can't see; this makes televisions announcers look stupid on a regular basis as one would have to assume the refs can't see all the replays the networks can show based on the varying opinions between announcers and refs but who knows, there is no transparency from the league as to what replays are available to the official under the hood. So based on that, who knows what replays the coaches in the booth can see to make and insanely quick decision as to how to advise their head coach?

Understanding how truly poorly designed this system is, it is impossible for me, in good conscience, to use it as a way to criticize coaches.

Do you sell anchors for like the Maersk Alabama or for personal size boats?

Exactly, how the hell is Bruce Arians in the top 10 after only one year? Plus, he looks like a serial killing pedophile.

In a fill in role with the Colts last year in a pinch Arians made the playoffs with Andrew Luck and a pile of poop. He won 10 games this year with the Cards. Keep in mind Mangini won 9 and failed to make the playoffs before getting canned, Rex wins all of 9 games in year 1 and advances to the AFCC and a permanent special place in your heart forever. DO you fault Arians because he played in a conference with better teams than the AFC those years? Heck the Jints last Super Bowl team was 9-7.

I like Rex, I really do.   It doesn't change the fact that he makes some mind-boggling decisions both in-game and out.  

1 - Rex still doesn't have a grasp on what the challenge flag is and after 5 years still treats it as a do-over flag.  

2 - Tony Sparano?  

3 - "Mark Sanchez gives us the best to chance to win"

4 - I've been watching the NFL for 30 years and I have never before seen a coach play a full 2nd half of a winnable game vs. a division rival without a punt returner.    Maybe Rex is so innovative that nobody else has caught on but that one still baffles me. 

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that really stick out.

As per "Collisions" NOBODY is assigned to look at the TV feed and tell Rex in his headset to challenge or not challenge. He's simply another guy looking at the jumbotron or reacting emotionally.

Archived