Rex Ryan proud to be a 'players' coach' Tom Shane

Ken Schroy

Rex Ryan proud to be a 'players' coach' (Kimberley Martin)

Newsday

December 4, 2014

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/rex-ryan-proud-to-be-a-players-coach-1.9682535

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Rex Ryan is determined to do things his way. As long as he's leading a team -- the Jets or anyone else -- he'll take pride in being the ultimate "players' coach.''

Some NFL coaches bristle at the negative connotation -- having no control or not enough backbone to hold players accountable. But Ryan insists he runs a tight ship.

"Sometimes people throw that term around like you're soft or something. It's the exact opposite,'' he told Newsday after Thursday's practice. "A players' coach, to me, is somebody that cares about his players, someone that tries to give our guys an opportunity to be successful.'' Ryan never will be like Bill Belichick, who sent home Darrelle Revis for arriving late to practice. He benched Jonas Gray for the same offense a week after he scored four touchdowns. Nor will Ryan ever gain the same attention that Tom Coughlin did in terms of disdain for tardiness. "But believe me, when Revis was here, he was fined,'' Ryan said with a smile. "It seems like, hey, if you're winning, your team's really disciplined. If you're not, then you're not. "My team is disciplined. It's not shown making a public spectacle out of somebody. That's not my style. I'll never do that. But will discipline be in place if I think a fine is appropriate? Absolutely. It just might not have that outward appearance because I don't bench somebody.'' Ryan didn't bench Geno Smith for being late to a 10-minute meeting the night before a game, but assistant coach Tim McDonald didn't start rookie safety Calvin Pryor because he was late to a meeting, weight-room lifts and weight checks, a source said. Ryan on Thursday refused to confirm the identities of other tardy players or their fines.

Ryan said the Jets "don't advertise'' player discipline, adding: "And it could be our best player.'' But twice a week at team meetings, he'll announce individual infractions. "I'll let them know who's done what,'' he said. "So that's never swept under the carpet.''

But for all his tough love behind the scenes, the Jets still lack discipline on the field, and at 2-10, there's only pride to play for. After four consecutive non-winning seasons, many assume the curtain soon will fall on the Rex Ryan Era. But until then, he won't change his approach.

"The reason I'm in this spot is because of who I am and the way I coach,'' Ryan said of being one of only 32 people to be an NFL head coach. "I don't have to do it like Tom Coughlin, a guy who I have a ton of respect for. But if I did everything the way Tom Coughlin does, then that's not who I am. What's made me successful is being myself.''

This ones for you, Tom Shane.....

Rex Ryan has the confidence of a man who will have a new job soon (Brian Costello)

New York Post

December 4, 2014

http://nypost.com/2014/12/04/rex-ryan-has-the-confidence-of-a-man-who-will-have-a-new-job-soon/

To watch Rex Ryan at Jets practice on Thursday, you never would know this was a man who expects to be fired in a few weeks.

Ryan lined up on the "scout" kickoff team with an orange beanie over his hat, just like the ones his players wear over their helmets when they are on these teams that help the starters prepare. Ryan ran down as the safety on the kickoff team and slid over to pretend to tackle returner Percy Harvin. "Boom," he yelled. He then yelled in the direction of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, "Marty, Percy’s out," before cackling. Ryan has shown no signs of concern that he will be out of a job come Dec. 29, the day after the Jets’ season ends. Maybe that is because he believes his unemployment won’t last long. Confidence is something Ryan has in abundance. A 2-10 record has done nothing to shake his belief that he is a good head coach. Two sources close to him said Ryan believes he will land a head-coaching job in 2015. If he doesn’t, he plans to go into TV and become a broadcaster. The networks already are lining up for the funny, outspoken and charismatic Ryan. He is not interested in being a defensive coordinator, a source said.

How realistic is it for Ryan to expect another head-coaching job coming off four straight years without a playoff appearance and the possibility of finishing 2-14 this year? One NFL executive said he believes Ryan will be on teams’ lists for interviews, but he may have a hard time actually landing a job. But Ryan is a very compelling salesman, and if he gets in a room with the right owner, he will sell himself. Ryan is going to have to overcome the perception that he ran a loose ship with the Jets. The perception of the team under Ryan has been of a frat house or a circus. He will need to convince a team he can be the CEO of its franchise. Typically, six or seven teams change coaches each year in the NFL. With four weeks left in the season and so many teams still in contention, it’s hard to know which teams will fire their coach, but here are the leading candidates besides the Jets: the Raiders, Redskins, Giants, Bears, Falcons, Panthers and 49ers.

Of those teams, the Bears make the most sense for Ryan. They are going to be looking for the opposite of current coach Marc Trestman, and Ryan is most definitely that. In Chicago, Ryan would take over the team his father Buddy helped win a Super Bowl in 1985 and a team loaded with offensive talent but in need of a defensive mind to clean up that side of the ball.

Jay Cutler has his issues, but he easily would be the best quarterback Ryan has had as a head coach. Many times teams that are looking for a new coach also are looking for a new quarterback, but if Ryan can land with a team that has a quarterback, that should be his top priority if he has learned anything over the past six years.

Many people might view Ryan as a long shot to land a coaching job if the Jets finish 2-14, but that was the Panthers’ record in John Fox’s final season. The Broncos hired Fox shortly after he was fired in Carolina. Ryan’s two predecessors with the Jets — Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini — both had head-coaching jobs the year after they left.

If no teams come calling for Ryan’s services, the networks will rejoice. Sports Illustrated quoted industry sources this week saying Ryan will command $3 million to $5 million per year as a broadcaster.

"He pretty much has everything TV networks would look for. He has personality, he’s not shy about his opinions, and he’s a colorful character," ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman, the executive in charge of hiring that network’s NFL studio talent, told SI. "I think he would be successful whether it is in studio or doing games. When I close my eyes and listen to him, I hear a little bit of John Madden in him. There is going to be a lot of interest in Rex if that is what he wants to do."

That may be why Ryan looks so relaxed these days. The ax almost certainly is going to fall on his time with the Jets, but he won’t be looking for work for long.

Of those teams, the Bears make the most sense for Ryan. They are going to be looking for the opposite of current coach Marc Trestman, and Ryan is most definitely that. In Chicago, Ryan would take over the team his father Buddy helped win a Super Bowl in 1985 and a team loaded with offensive talent but in need of a defensive mind to clean up that side of the ball.

Unfortunately for Rex, NFL franchises don't make head coaching decisions based on what makes the most sense for him. The chances of the McCaskeys hiring Rex are less than zero. Costello should be fired and replaced with an inanimate carbon rod.

Archived