The 1st down that wasn't (Pats 1st down)

Maxman

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think that was the guy who grabbed the chain with his fingers about an inch from the stick, as if he was preparing to re-spot the ball accurately for the upcoming 4th down.

B5aEcrsCUAEY4iN.jpg

whatever the procedure, that's a clear 1st down.  the refs confused the crap outta everybody, but it was a 1st down

One other thing I don't think anyone has mentioned. I recall after the measurement was complete the official grabbed the chain with his fingers about an inch from the stick, just like they do when there is only a very short distance to gain, so the ball can be re'spotted accurately.

Interesting.

B5aEcrsCUAEY4iN.jpg

Right, look at how close the jet players are, you think that they could not see if the placement was right or not. Did you see them explode when they signaled first down? 

and again this is a bad view taken from a angle, not as severe as the previous on but on an angle just the same. You can tell as the stripes on his helmet are almost perpendicular to the chain but on logo on the helmet is shown more complete than the opposing side.

Right, look at how close the jet players are, you think that they could not see if the placement was right or not. Did you see them explode when they signaled first down? 

and again this is a bad view taken from a angle, not as severe as the previous on but on an angle just the same. You can tell as the stripes on his helmet are almost perpendicular to the chain but on logo on the helmet is shown more complete than the opposing side.

Didn't see any of those things happening. But I did see Rex throw the red flag. Now, if he realized it was a legitimate 1st down call, why throw the flag and risk wasting a timeout and a challenge, just to move the ball an inch? I think he wanted the measurement to be reviewed, for the possibility that the 1st-down decision would be reversed, making it a 4th down.

Archived