The 1st down that wasn't (Pats 1st down)

Maxman

"Around the time Pro-Football-Reference added the Game Play Finder in 2012, I used it to look up Tom Brady's rushing success in short-yardage situations (third or fourth down, 1-2 yards to go). The results were staggering. Including last season, in his regular-season career Brady is 88 out of 91 (96.7 percent) on these runs, including 56 straight conversions. That's almost as efficient as the extra point."

Agree with TX.

No way the Pats don't push the vaunted Rex defense back and get those two inches on fourth.

So the fact that a first year amateur part timer ref screwed up a call in favor of the Pats is, IMO moot. Its a decades long tradition begun in early 2002 by the famed veteran amateur part time ref Walt Coleman when he screwed the Raiders and created the first ever double elimination playoffs in NFL history

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Mike Perira said that the view was taken on a severe angle and not perpendicular to the ball placement. You can see in post 15 that the view of the measurement seems to becoming on a 45 degree angle and not directly perpendicular as is "always" the case. Jet players were there, they seen the measurement, it is not like the refs tried to sneak something. Where the ball was when his ass came down was the issue.

This is 45 degrees to you?

Screen-Shot-2014-12-21-at-4.29.42-PM.png

45-degree-angle.jpg

I think there is an outbreak of hysterical blindness among Pats fans.

It might be off by 10 degrees - not much more.  Which will make it very close.  But everything else about the play was strange too - not just the camera angle.  Like

• The non-call at the chains by the Ref
  • The chain gang not moving the chains after the play
  • The actual spot
  • The lack of any explanation

This is 45 degrees to you?

Screen-Shot-2014-12-21-at-4.29.42-PM.png

45-degree-angle.jpg

I think there is an outbreak of hysterical blindness among Pats fans.

Yes, are you kidding! use the orange chain as one plane, and then go perpendicular or 90 degrees from that at the stick and it is approx 45 photo angle.   it might even be more severe.  The perpendicular line would align with the number "4"  th quarter in the screen shot. than camera angle comes from almost directly behind the players helmet. Blame the stupid CBS feed or director who chose that shot. 

Yes, are you kidding! use the orange chain as one plane, and then go perpendicular or 90 degrees from that at the stick and it is approx 45 photo angle.   it might even be more severe

No way is it 45 degrees.  Think about where sideline cameras are located.  No way the camera is shooting from the Pats 20 or 30 yard line.  It gotta be close to the 50 yard line and that makes the angles MUCH smaller than 45 degrees - maybe 10 degrees..  By the way this is knowable information.  Someone could figure this out.

Yes, are you kidding! use the orange chain as one plane, and then go perpendicular or 90 degrees from that at the stick and it is approx 45 photo angle.   it might even be more severe.  The perpendicular line would align with the number "4"  th quarter in the screen shot. than camera angle comes from almost directly behind the players helmet. Blame the stupid CBS feed or director who chose that shot. 

That's only 45 degrees if you are cockeyed. 

It's about 10 degrees at most. 

All the Pats fans I know admitted the Jets got screwed on that call.....and that's saying a lot since they are the last to admit something like this.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rex still shouldn't have challenged. The refs tongue Brady's balls any chance they got even dumbass Rex should know that

Agree with TX.

No way the Pats don't push the vaunted Rex defense back and get those two inches on fourth.

So the fact that a first year amateur part timer ref screwed up a call in favor of the Pats is, IMO moot. Its a decades long tradition begun in early 2002 by the famed veteran amateur part time ref Walt Coleman when he screwed the Raiders and created the first ever double elimination playoffs in NFL history

or further, with 4 minutes left and the PATS have the ball, the chances of the great REX defense getting a stop are also moot.

Can the Fire Idzik guys raise enough money for NFL fans to run a national " no more " horrid , inept officiating campaign?

Fat chance. 80% of bad officiating isn't caused by error it's caused crooked zebras cooperating with sports gambling entities. Listen to Tim Donaghy interview in the Artie Lange show its very revealing and it's not just the nba

Fat chance. 80% of bad officiating isn't caused by error it's caused crooked zebras cooperating with sports gambling entities. Listen to Tim Donaghy interview in the Artie Lange show its very revealing and it's not just the nba

the Donaghy thing was one of the great coverup jobs in sports history..there were plenty more refs in on that..weren't there like 5,000 cell phone calls between Donaghy and dick bevetta in a 7 day period or something ?..,.complelty buried by stern and nobody ever called him out on it

"Around the time Pro-Football-Reference added the Game Play Finder in 2012, I used it to look up Tom Brady's rushing success in short-yardage situations (third or fourth down, 1-2 yards to go). The results were staggering. Including last season, in his regular-season career Brady is 88 out of 91 (96.7 percent) on these runs, including 56 straight conversions. That's almost as efficient as the extra point."

That isn't the point here though.

Why wouldn't Pats fans take victory as a given?

They win 80%+ of the games every time they take the field.

I just checked the weather forecast. It said partly cloudy with a 100% chance of, "not a good day for this".  lol.....

The angle shown is not the angle that is normally used for these feeds, the feed is normally provided by the camera team that is mounted on those movable platforms or the handheld. the view that you normally see on tv is almost a ground level view. You can see that it even came from a high vertical position as you see the top of the guys helmet.

The camera angle was bad, when I seen it on tv it looked like it was 4th and 3 or 4 inches to go. The TV crew never mentioned that the refs signaled first down as you can see the guys flip over the down marker, What then added more to the confusion was the marker at the original LOS when back to his first position and not two yards down the field.

When I seen it on tv, I though Rex was protesting that the guy changed the down marker to 1 instead of 4.

They have to. 50% of the pats fan base didn't exist prior to mo Lewis injuring bledsoe

I would say about 66% did not exist before kraft bought the team and Parcells stayed on.  When I was a ticket holder during the 70s and 80s the stadium had 40-50, thousand people on game day max and they were only about 35,000 season ticket holders.  But it changed with kraft and Parcells not the mo Lewis hit. Since Kraft has bought the team, it is very hard to get a ticket.

The angle shown is not the angle that is normally used for these feeds, the feed is normally provided by the camera team that is mounted on those movable platforms or the handheld. the view that you normally see on tv is almost a ground level view. You can see that it even came from a high vertical position as you see the top of the guys helmet.

The camera angle was bad, when I seen it on tv it looked like it was 4th and 3 or 4 inches to go. The TV crew never mentioned that the refs signaled first down as you can see the guys flip over the down marker, What then added more to the confusion was the marker at the original LOS when back to his first position and not two yards down the field.

When I seen it on tv, I though Rex was protesting that the guy changed the down marker to 1 instead of 4.

OH FOR ****'S SAKE LET IT GO!

This is not a crowd that is ever going to agree with you. 

the Donaghy thing was one of the great coverup jobs in sports history..there were plenty more refs in on that..weren't there like 5,000 cell phone calls between Donaghy and dick bevetta in a 7 day period or something ?..,.complelty buried by stern and nobody ever called him out on it

It wasn't just stern who buried. The 5 major media conglomerates have a ton of money invested in pro sports and the last thing they want is for people to think its fixed. Tim Donaghy should have been a way bigger story than it was instead most people are more familiar with a pimple on Kim kardashians ass then rampant collusion between refs in all sports and the mob and Vegas.

Pro sports is for the most part fixed. They can't prevent David Tyree from catching a first down in the super bowl with his helmet or the Jets pounding on an inferior team in foxboro 2010 playoffs but if you look at the lines in Vegas there's a very good reason the boys in Vegas are almost never wrong.

I would say about 66% did not exist before kraft bought the team and Parcells stayed on.  When I was a ticket holder during the 70s and 80s the stadium had 40-50, thousand people on game day max and they were only about 35,000 season ticket holders.  But it changed with kraft and Parcells not the mo Lewis hit. Since Kraft has bought the team, it is very hard to get a ticket.

That's funny... considering that in 2001, prior to their first SB title the Pats attendance was only 62.5% capacity and that jumped to 92.5% in 2002, immediately following their first "championship* ."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2001

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2002

Archived