TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 7/16/2024 at 9:05 AM, JustInFudge said:

Yes, found it very silly he was still alive, and then I'm not sure I've ever rolled my eyes harder when he said "mummy" after she was visiting him in his bed.  Like, what are they going to do w/ this?  He's just going to be a vegetable for the rest of the show?  Just a weird move in the story telling.  I'm also finding the treatment of Aemond to be ridiculous.  The dude has killed 2 of this brothers (or tried too) and his great Aunt? and supposedly the Queen knows he was going to kill his brother after the crash but nobody seems to care?  Weird.

Daemon sleeping w/ his Mom in a dream is next level ****ed up too.

Good episode.  Interested to see what characters are introduced to the show now that they're looking for more dragon riders.  They really havent added to the mix of important characters this season,  so could be interesting.  I have a feeling one of the new dragon riders is going to be the sailpor who saved Corlys.  He obviously has some Targareyn blood line.  

And the random Blacksmith they keep showing who happens to have long blond hair.... Hmm... 

The best scene in the episode was Cole... "900 men died... their armor was melted.... men, they were on fire. We have given the war to the Dragons". Dude KNOWS he's in over his head, and there is no place or need for soldiers like him in this fight beyond being Dragon fodder. Meanwhile, Daemon keeps Daemoning. Great character, but dude just doesn't care about anything but himself.

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

And the random Blacksmith they keep showing who happens to have long blond hair.... Hmm... 

The best scene in the episode was Cole... "900 men died... their armor was melted.... men, they were on fire. We have given the war to the Dragons". Dude KNOWS he's in over his head, and there is no place or need for soldiers like him in this fight beyond being Dragon fodder. Meanwhile, Daemon keeps Daemoning. Great character, but dude just doesn't care about anything but himself.

Ah yes, the Blacksmith...good call there.  I assumed there was going to be some rebellion led by him because of the civil unrest and trapping them in but didnt even go there but it makes total sense.

Daemon is maybe the most fascinating character they've introduced in all the shows.  He's incredible but that dream scene, w/ his mom.  Next level ****ed up.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Daemon is maybe the most fascinating character they've introduced in all the shows.  He's incredible but that dream scene, w/ his mom.  Next level ****ed up.

When he was sitting in the field, and said something like, "I can't believe how READY they were to just die", the way he said it was like he was channeling Jaime Lannister....

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

At least he is consistent.  Daemon has always been about Daemon.  He groomed Rhaenyra.  His issue with her started when she pushed back.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

One thing that I guess plays to general audiences but that I don't like very much is that this season of HOTD you can kinda figure what's going to happen just based on the cinematography. Like Rhaenys going over the cliff was such an obvious tell that Vhagar was going to cut her neck off out of nowhere just like she did to Luke's dragon Arrax. Similarly, the lingering shot on Aegon as Alicent is walking away - so obvious that they were going to show him moving or talking.

If they went through all this trouble to keep him alive and also be somewhat conscious, they better freaking heal him outright. I wanna see fireworks between Aegon and Aemond with Alicent, Cole, and the rest of that swarmy council all caught in the crossfires.  

The thing is Aemond could just say “Yeah I tried to kill him.” And it doesn’t matter. What exactly are they going to do about it? Execute him? Exile him? They NEED Vhagar. That is non negotiable at this point in time. There isn’t really anything Aemond can’t do if he wants to. 

On 7/17/2024 at 7:13 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah I think that battle genuinely shook Cole and changed how he views war. He was confident he could beat any man in a sword fight but dragons are on a totally different level.

On 7/17/2024 at 7:34 AM, JustInFudge said:

Ah yes, the Blacksmith...good call there.  I assumed there was going to be some rebellion led by him because of the civil unrest and trapping them in but didnt even go there but it makes total sense.

The thing about Daemon from what I can tell is that he only really loves himself and his brother. Many people speculate that that is why he’s even interested in Rhanyra at all, because she is a part of Viserys. And yes there is also the path to being king through her but he’s clearly interested in more than just that. I think all these visions are Daemon working through his sh*t and the final boss of Viserys is coming.

• Upvote 1

Any thoughts about “ obliterated”?  I just finished it.  Pretty silly most of time and some pretty cringeworthy characters.  Kind of like “team America” but with live actors.

i did mostly like “ the night agent” and “ the night manager”. 

18 hours ago, Nolder said:

The thing about Daemon from what I can tell is that he only really loves himself and his brother. Many people speculate that that is why he’s even interested in Rhanyra at all, because she is a part of Viserys. And yes there is also the path to being king through her but he’s clearly interested in more than just that. I think all these visions are Daemon working through his sh*t and the final boss of Viserys is coming.

See, that's the thing, I think what he's going through at Harrenhal is him kind of realizing he does care about more than just himself. 

What do you mean, the final boss of Viserys?  Like he'll be in his last vision?

14 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

See, that's the thing, I think what he's going through at Harrenhal is him kind of realizing he does care about more than just himself. 

That’s a good point. He’s changing. Or realizing he’s already changed.

14 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

What do you mean, the final boss of Viserys?  Like he'll be in his last vision?

I think so yeah.

• Upvote 1

Last episode of HOTD wasn’t bad but I will say it felt like a throwaway episode. I feel like Ryan Condal realized several things HAD to happen at this point in the narrative and there was nowhere else to put them so he picked an episode and said “Here, just jam it all into this episode. Make it work.” And that’s what we got. Again, not really bad but there was no real arc. It was more like “and then this happens, and then over here this happens, and then she does this and he does that and because of that this.” So it’s not spectacular but it’s fine. Not every episode of season 1 was 10/10 either lol. One thing I will say is the only character I absolutely do not like, as in I find her uninteresting, is the white worm and the writers seem to have chosen her to have an important role in this story. I don’t know if that’s a carry over from the books but regardless I wish it was different. I don’t like the actress I don’t like her lines and I feel like her story, especially her newfound place and….relationship? With Rhanyrea is really forced. Maybe this is just being used as another highlight of Rhanyrea’s character flaws or something I don’t know.

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Nolder said:

Last episode of HOTD wasn’t bad but I will say it felt like a throwaway episode. I feel like Ryan Condal realized several things HAD to happen at this point in the narrative and there was nowhere else to put them so he picked an episode and said “Here, just jam it all into this episode. Make it work.” And that’s what we got. Again, not really bad but there was no real arc. It was more like “and then this happens, and then over here this happens, and then she does this and he does that and because of that this.” So it’s not spectacular but it’s fine. Not every episode of season 1 was 10/10 either lol. One thing I will say is the only character I absolutely do not like, as in I find her uninteresting, is the white worm and the writers seem to have chosen her to have an important role in this story. I don’t know if that’s a carry over from the books but regardless I wish it was different. I don’t like the actress I don’t like her lines and I feel like her story, especially her newfound place and….relationship? With Rhanyrea is really forced. Maybe this is just being used as another highlight of Rhanyrea’s character flaws or something I don’t know.

Hmmmm....

A good question.  I did not read the books, so I do not know.  I did see a YT video that did a 50K foot view on the character.  She does have a place in the book.  As far as the last scene, that did seem forced.

I think a problem with the season and to your point.  This season is only 8 episodes.  That is two hours lost to where they might be able to better flush things out.  Instead, they are juggling Team Green is doing this.  Team Black is doing this.  Daemon is here.  Aemond is doing this. 

The season has been good IMHO.  The last two episodes have been ok.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Hmmmm....

A good question.  I did not read the books, so I do not know.  I did see a YT video that did a 50K foot view on the character.  She does have a place in the book.  As far as the last scene, that did seem forced.

I think a problem with the season and to your point.  This season is only 8 episodes.  That is two hours lost to where they might be able to better flush things out.  Instead, they are juggling Team Green is doing this.  Team Black is doing this.  Daemon is here.  Aemond is doing this. 

The season has been good IMHO.  The last two episodes have been ok.

Yeah, they could probably benefit from even one extra episode.

On 7/22/2024 at 9:49 PM, Nolder said:

100%. They're trying to force a thing that doesn't need to be a thing. Mysaria is a boring character, Deus Ex personified. As to the character in the books:

Mysaria had skin pale as milk. She was lithe and lissome in her youth, but age thickened her body.[1] Because of her appearance and reputation, Mysaria was dubbed Misery, the White Worm by enemies and rivals.[2][5][6] She spoke in a manner foreign to Westeros.[5]

Mysaria became Daemon's mistress of whisperers at some point.[6] After ******* Mysaria served as the queen's mistress of whisperers in all but name, although she did not join the small council. Rhaenyra apparently approved of Daemon sleeping with Mysaria each night.[1]

But hey, its 2024. Gotta get those boxes checked. I hope it doesn't become a focal point for the rest of the season. "Gay" isn't exactly edgy anymore. LOL.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

100%. They're trying to force a thing that doesn't need to be a thing. Mysaria is a boring character, Deus Ex personified. As to the character in the books:

Mysaria had skin pale as milk. She was lithe and lissome in her youth, but age thickened her body.[1] Because of her appearance and reputation, Mysaria was dubbed Misery, the White Worm by enemies and rivals.[2][5][6] She spoke in a manner foreign to Westeros.[5]

Mysaria became Daemon's mistress of whisperers at some point.[6] After ******* Mysaria served as the queen's mistress of whisperers in all but name, although she did not join the small council. Rhaenyra apparently approved of Daemon sleeping with Mysaria each night.[1]

But hey, its 2024. Gotta get those boxes checked. I hope it doesn't become a focal point for the rest of the season. "Gay" isn't exactly edgy anymore. LOL.

It wouldn’t even really bug me so much if they had set it up better but she goes from prisoner to most trusted advisor to almost lover in the course of like 3 episodes with a total screen time of idk 7 minutes or something? In a franchise that usually (not always but usually) does so well to make relationships and character motivations believable this was rushed and the proverbial ball was dropped. Still not as bad as the character assassination Jaimie or Tyrion went through though at least.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

Couldn’t resist taking a shot at my favorite mouse shaped punching bag.

I can imagine the pitch to Carrie Anne Moss. "You are going to be a Jedi Master.  Cool.  You die in the first episode.  Oh.   but you will make an appearance in a later episode.  Sure.  but you will be in all the promos and have a figurine.  Um...ok.  Show me the money."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nolder said:

It wouldn’t even really bug me so much if they had set it up better but she goes from prisoner to most trusted advisor to almost lover in the course of like 3 episodes with a total screen time of idk 7 minutes or something? In a franchise that usually (not always but usually) does so well to make relationships and character motivations believable this was rushed and the proverbial ball was dropped. Still not as bad as the character assassination Jaimie or Tyrion went through though at least.

Loras and Renly being gay were story driven aspects of their characters, and held actual ramifications and served the plot. Varys was often assumed to be gay, but was not... he was effeminate due to being a eunuch and being very refined in behavior and speech.

This was just, "Put a chick in it...."

• Upvote 1

By the way I watched all of that Those About To Die show. It was…more bad than ok. I hope it doesn’t get a second season. There was some good acting in it though and I enjoyed some of the characters. Others I was very tempted to fast forward past their scene. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re very bored or something.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nolder said:

Last nights episode was pretty good. Still setup but it feels like we’re moving towards the main show. All the skirmishes are out of the way now I think.

Just in time for the season finale.

I think it was a good episode as well.  Only thing I did not get was the Alicent scene.  

8 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Just in time for the season finale.

I think it was a good episode as well.  Only thing I did not get was the Alicent scene.  

I actually watched the behind the scenes thing after the episode for once and they talked about that. They said something like her power has been stripped away and she doesn’t know what she wants and she’s thinking about giving up but when she’s floating in the water and opens her eyes she has a moment of clarity and a purpose but we’ll have to wait to find out what it is. That’s what they said anyway.

21 hours ago, Nolder said:

I actually watched the behind the scenes thing after the episode for once and they talked about that. They said something like her power has been stripped away and she doesn’t know what she wants and she’s thinking about giving up but when she’s floating in the water and opens her eyes she has a moment of clarity and a purpose but we’ll have to wait to find out what it is. That’s what they said anyway.

Vine Ok GIF

Okay, I can get behind that, but let's just do a 'nature' walk with one dude.  You are at war right?  I think that has been a slow build for her.  At the time, it was WTF?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Vine Ok GIF

Okay, I can get behind that, but let's just do a 'nature' walk with one dude.  You are at war right?  I think that has been a slow build for her.  At the time, it was WTF?

To be fair he is a Kingsguard. If she could have gone alone she probably would have. Which, yes, isn’t smart during war time but she probably feels like no one would care if she got captured anyway. Who would care? Aegon? Aemond? Helena is a basket case and Cristin Cole is gone. Obviously the optics would force Aemond to act if she WERE captured but she’s too emotional to see that. Or so the showrunner is telling us. I kind of don’t care about any of this but her arc seems important to the showrunner and writers so uhhh I guess we’ll see where it goes? 

5 hours ago, Nolder said:

To be fair he is a Kingsguard. If she could have gone alone she probably would have. Which, yes, isn’t smart during war time but she probably feels like no one would care if she got captured anyway. Who would care? Aegon? Aemond? Helena is a basket case and Cristin Cole is gone. Obviously the optics would force Aemond to act if she WERE captured but she’s too emotional to see that. Or so the showrunner is telling us. I kind of don’t care about any of this but her arc seems important to the showrunner and writers so uhhh I guess we’ll see where it goes? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nolder said:

In the end, I think you are on point with no one would care or care very little.