Anyone else convinced we are drafting QB?

JohnnyLV

The Jets have almost interviewed, worked out, attended the QBs pro day, and did a private workout for every potential QB in the draft at this point.

Usually I have no real idea what we will do in the draft, with maybe a few exceptions like Gholston unfortunately (EVERY mock had us picking him), D'Brick and to a much lesser extent the trade for Sanchez. Usually there a handful of picks that we sort of all agree are the likely ones we will pick, and more often that not we are surprised.

But this year everything I hear and see about the Jets just screams to me that not only are we drafting QB, but that we are going to draft either Mariota or Winston.

Some reasons I think this:

1. I think that Bowles and Mac definitely want their "guy" at QB, and have explicitly stated that they are going to bring in another QB,

2. I think Fitz was brought in not so much to start but to mentor and help teach Gailey's system.

3, We were ALL over mariota at his pro day. Our QB coach talked to him for like 30 minutes alone before he even started, and seemed to already have a relationship

4. Scrutinizing every QB is due dilligence if you are thinking of taking one of the Top guys, and especially if you are going to trade up 

5 There has been a lot of talk of the Jets willing to move up, and Mac has actually hinted strongly at this as well.

6. I do think Tennessee is committed to Mettenberger.

The one good argument against this is our visit list which includes all of the likely players we could pick at 6 in the edge rushers, White and Cooper as well as a couple really good candidates if we trade down such as Ereck Flowers and Davante Parker.

But I just have this really strong feeling we are going to do what it takes to get either Mariota or Winston. I think we were completely sold on Winston, but sounds like Tampa may go for him instead. If that happens, we likely move up to 2 and take Winston. If they take Winston, the Jets may sweat out Tennessee and try to trade up to 3. Bash away.

Why would TEN be committed to a player that's never won a pro game and ended the last two seasons with major injuries? 

BTW I do agree they will draft a QB at some point. But think Garrett Grayson or Brett Hundley not Mariota. 

It's not that Tennessee is committed to Mettenberger, it's that Whisenhut loathe's running QBs. He won with Kurt Warner. He benched Locker due to frustration over Locker's repeated scrambling.

TN will not take Mariota. They are either taking Williams or trading down to the 5-7 range.

I say this because they are currently brining in Beasley, Cooper, and White. If they were going to trade with Cle or Phi, none of those players will still be there. If they move to 6, they will get one of them.

It's not that Tennessee is committed to Mettenberger, it's that Whisenhut loathe's running QBs. He won with Kurt Warner. He benched Locker due to frustration over Locker's repeated scrambling.

TN will not take Mariota. They are either taking Williams or trading down to the 5-7 range.

I say this because they are currently brining in Beasley, Cooper, and White. If they were going to trade with Cle or Phi, none of those players will still be there. If they move to 6, they will get one of them.

So the fact that Whisenhunt benched a horrible player like locker means he hates all running qb's?

Why would TEN be committed to a player that's never won a pro game and ended the last two seasons with major injuries?

BTW I do agree they will draft a QB at some point. But think Garrett Grayson or Brett Hundley not Mariota.

God I hope your right. If we pass on white or Cooper for mariot I'm kicking my tv

The Jets have almost interviewed, worked out, attended the QBs pro day, and did a private workout for every potential QB in the draft at this point.

Usually I have no real idea what we will do in the draft, with maybe a few exceptions like Gholston unfortunately (EVERY mock had us picking him), D'Brick and to a much lesser extent the trade for Sanchez. Usually there a handful of picks that we sort of all agree are the likely ones we will pick, and more often that not we are surprised.

But this year everything I hear and see about the Jets just screams to me that not only are we drafting QB, but that we are going to draft either Mariota or Winston.

Some reasons I think this:

1. I think that Bowles and Mac definitely want their "guy" at QB, and have explicitly stated that they are going to bring in another QB,

2. I think Fitz was brought in not so much to start but to mentor and help teach Gailey's system.

3, We were ALL over mariota at his pro day. Our QB coach talked to him for like 30 minutes alone before he even started, and seemed to already have a relationship

4. Scrutinizing every QB is due dilligence if you are thinking of taking one of the Top guys, and especially if you are going to trade up 

5 There has been a lot of talk of the Jets willing to move up, and Mac has actually hinted strongly at this as well.

6. I do think Tennessee is committed to Mettenberger.

The one good argument against this is our visit list which includes all of the likely players we could pick at 6 in the edge rushers, White and Cooper as well as a couple really good candidates if we trade down such as Ereck Flowers and Davante Parker.

But I just have this really strong feeling we are going to do what it takes to get either Mariota or Winston. I think we were completely sold on Winston, but sounds like Tampa may go for him instead. If that happens, we likely move up to 2 and take Winston. If they take Winston, the Jets may sweat out Tennessee and try to trade up to 3. Bash away.

I dunno dude... that's a lot of huffing and puffing that amounts to what? At the end of the day, the Mac and his team are doing their due dilligence. Nothing more, nothing less. If Mariota ends up sliding (which he won't) to us at #6, we better have a fcking grip on who he is. It's one thing to make a mistake and draft a QB in a knee jerk move... it's another to pass on him and watch him light it up in, say - STL or something for a decade. 

I think we've looked hard at whether to pull the trigger on a round 2 guy like Hundley, Grayson, etc.. who frankly shouldn't be going before round 3 at the EARLIEST, but since we pick at teh top of the round, Jets may chose to play it safe and take one in round 2.

Frankly, i hope they don't take anyone in the first 3 rounds period. No point. Geno and Fitz are gonna ride us through '16. Give me Bridge or give me no one. 

BTW I do agree they will draft a QB at some point. But think Garrett Grayson or Bryce Petty not Mariota. 

Fixed.

Archived