With Smith Sidelined, is Enunwa new Jets Deep Threat?

JetNation

Honestly, where did I ever say the offense would suffer?  Find it for me.  Then find a way anyone's point here can be backed up.  Lol.  

Best way for some to argue their argument is to give an over the top, ridiculous point like this.  You're flailing, give up already.  I should have long ago.  Forgot it's a beat the wrong horse to death fan who feels like arguing that a 3 or 4 WR on a team that runs the most 4 WR sets in the league wouldn't miss their only deep threat.  Makes so much sense.  Argue that, then tell people how you'll win that argument. 

How is it over-the-top to say back to you exactly the phrases you've used? 

I didn't say that you said the offense would "suffer", but it is implicit in your argument that we're losing our ability to "deep threat long ball spread the field bomb decoy" in Devin Smith. A guy that has 9 catches for an average of 12 yards per, in 10 games. My argument is that you've over-estimated his value in providing that, he hasn't even as a decoy in most cases since he can't stay on the field, as well I've disagreed with the notion that we can't do those things with the much more talented receivers on our offense. 

You haven't rebutted anything I've said. You squirmed and started looking for a new context for the argument. 

"Walking away."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure Gronk leads the league in TDs over the past few season, no?

Oh, but he's not going to score from 80 yards out. How many 80 yard TDs are scored each year.

Yeah, this is a polite way of calling this argument ******* stupid.

Dumb post, as usual.  

Most of Gronk's TDs are in the redzone, bruh.  Again, having a guy who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field is important.  The guy can do nothing all game and then bam, he's gotten you 6.  The THREAT is important.  There are plenty of long TDs (60+ yards) each year

Why do you think the Jets were starting Owusu/Smith on the outside?

Dumb post, as usual.  

Most of Gronk's TDs are in the redzone, bruh.  Again, having a guy who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field is important.  The guy can do nothing all game and then bam, he's gotten you 6.  The THREAT is important.  There are plenty of long TDs (60+ yards) each year

Why do you think the Jets were starting Owusu/Smith on the outside?

Something I said went over your head, as usual.

Thread sucked into the abyss, as usual?

How so?

The OP asked if we Enunwa is the new deep threat. Several people said yes/maybe/no, and we lost the deep threat with Devin. I said we haven't, don't overvalue it, and suggested that the "deep threat" role can be filled by other members of our WR corps. I think it's actually flowed pretty well along the topic... 

Or are you just doing that thing where you bitch about people arguing, when you aren't part of the argument?

Of course speed has an effect. I just think it is marginal, and can be compensated for if you don't have it. Especially in the context of the rebuttals Jet Nut made. 

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Losing a deep threat with speed, decoy or not, can really f*ck a team up and shouldn't be considered "marginal".  The Packers offense doesn't look ANYWHERE near close to what they were last year thanks to the loss of Jordy Nelson.  It's not like Randall Cobb is a slouch either.  Losing him has had an impact on everyone there, including the RB's because teams don't have to worry about a play action bomb as much as they normally would. 

The only way you can compensate for that is when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team.  We don't have that.

All that being said, I think someone can step into his shoes just fine. Yes, Devin had speed that no one else really has on this team, but he's been playing catch-up this entire season.  Even if he was finally starting to "come around" as Bowles alluded to, I think we won't see a real meaningful contribution from him until next year at the earliest.  As long as we have Decker and Marshall, I think we'll be fine.

How so?

The OP asked if we Enunwa is the new deep threat. Several people said yes/maybe/no, and we lost the deep threat with Devin. I said we haven't, don't overvalue it, and suggested that the "deep threat" role can be filled by other members of our WR corps. I think it's actually flowed pretty well along the topic... 

Or are you just doing that thing where you bitch about people arguing, when you aren't part of the argument?

That's when everyone stopped reading.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Losing a deep threat with speed, decoy or not, can really f*ck a team up and shouldn't be considered "marginal".  The Packers offense doesn't look ANYWHERE near close to what they were last year thanks to the loss of Jordy Nelson.  It's not like Randall Cobb is a slouch either.  Losing him has had an impact on everyone there, including the RB's because teams don't have to worry about a play action bomb as much as they normally would. 

The only way you can compensate for that is when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team.  We don't have that.

All that being said, I think someone can step into his shoes just fine. Yes, Devin had speed that no one else really has on this team, but he's been playing catch-up this entire season.  Even if he was finally starting to "come around" as Bowles alluded to, I think we won't see a real meaningful contribution from him until next year at the earliest.  As long as we have Decker and Marshall, I think we'll be fine.

Way to contradict yourself (more than once). So you do agree with the first part (black)?

No, Jets don't have an Aaron Rodgers. And we didn't lose a Jordy Nelson.

The deep "threat" doesn't really exist if your QB doesn't have a respectable long ball.

That's why Wet Nuts' ridiculous Namath-Maynard comparison is pure comedy, 100% clueless.

At least Stephen Hill (#27Dominator's example) had Sanchez.

I agree we'll be fine or the same. Marshall can take any pass home with his skills and 4.52 speed. Defenses know that.

Jerry Rice had 4.71 speed and burned DBs on sideline go-routes every week. How?

Generally, a WR with blazing straight-ahead speed in track gear isn't as important as a great QB with an accurate arm.

Jets have Ryan Fitzpatrick not a rocket-launching Namath. This topic was ended by VTF on page one.

Way to contradict yourself (more than once). So you do agree with the first part (black)?

No, Jets don't have an Aaron Rodgers. And we didn't lose a Jordy Nelson.

The deep "threat" doesn't really exist if your QB doesn't have a respectable long ball.

That's why Wet Nuts' ridiculous Namath-Maynard comparison is pure comedy, 100% clueless.

At least Stephen Hill (#27Dominator's example) had Sanchez.

I agree we'll be fine or the same. Marshall can take any pass home with his skills and 4.52 speed. Defenses know that.

Jerry Rice had 4.71 speed and burned DBs on sideline go-routes every week. How?

Generally, a WR with blazing straight-ahead speed in track gear isn't as important as a great QB with an accurate arm.

Jets have Ryan Fitzpatrick not a rocket-launching Namath. This topic was ended by VTF on page one.

There is an entire thread breaking down the film from last weekend and it shows the Titans paying a lot of attention to Smith and respecting his ability to go deep. Jet Nut's comparison isn't ridiculous because the actual film shows that they actually are paying attention.  Even if Fitzpatrick can't consistently hit him deep or Devin was primarily being used as a decoy, a guy like him only needs one good look and catch to make them pay.

I never contradicted myself, all I said was that in OUR situation I think someone like Enunwa/Thompkins/etc can draw similar attention.  The main point in my post was to critique the idea that losing a deep threat in general is "marginal".  Film from last week already shows that.

Archived