Fitz is only 33

long suffering jets fan

Yeah it is an aberration... of good QB play for the Jets. Let him walk and i'm registering firemikemaccagnan.com

lol  I hear you, jgb.  All I'm saying is to wait to see who's out there before we give a sh*t load of cash to Fitz.  We've seen this strategy blow up i9n our faces many times before.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cap keeps going up so a significant percentage of the cap won't be tied up, per se, in a Fitz extension.

Also, don't underestimate the Woody factor in this in the sense that he'd be willing to pay more to keep Fitz because he enjoys the atmosphere surrounding the team now. Woody extended Rex after only 1 season.  It's part of his MO to lock in people he likes.  The more this goes on, the more of a Fitz fan Woody will become.

I think the number will be in the $12 to $14 per year range.  The year length will depend on the guarantee.  He could get a 3 year, $42 mill deal, with $25 guaranteed, which makes it essentially a 2 year deal, but it looks better to Fitz and his agent having a 3 year deal.  More likely they'll squeeze a 4 year deal out of the Jets with the actual deal being 3 years.

For most of the last 10-15 years we have been clamoring for a QB who doesn't suck.  Just give us a QB who is above league average we all said.  So now we have one and half of you can't wait to get rid of him or nickel and dime him on the re-up?  Yep...sounds about right.

lol. Jets fans are funny.

As I said yesterday I am excited about how he has been playing, and though he is shaky at times he has really been making plays for us.

I would also say I would like to see him back but it is a complicated decision. Much depends on the opinion of Petty. If the Jets think he is the guy, then he starts no later than 2017, possibly next year.

Fitz is "only" 33, but he has a history of injuries and has a greater than average chance of missing games with injuries.

Add to that the fact that QBs rarely have back to back career seasons so you have to look at this year as his ceiling. 

Cutting Cro frees up $8M so you have a window of 10-12 per year as a tathey that does not serously cripple the Jets ability to address other areas, so maybe 3 years $40M, with $20M guaranteed in first 2 years and ability to cut after 2 with very limited cap hit would be ceiling.

Franchise not an option, and past that money hurts the team, so if he wants much more you let him test the waters.

The cap keeps going up so a significant percentage of the cap won't be tied up, per se, in a Fitz extension.

Also, don't underestimate the Woody factor in this in the sense that he'd be willing to pay more to keep Fitz because he enjoys the atmosphere surrounding the team now. Woody extended Rex after only 1 season.  It's part of his MO to lock in people he likes.  The more this goes on, the more of a Fitz fan Woody will become.

I think the number will be in the $12 to $14 per year range.  The year length will depend on the guarantee.  He could get a 3 year, $42 mill deal, with $25 guaranteed, which makes it essentially a 2 year deal, but it looks better to Fitz and his agent having a 3 year deal.  More likely they'll squeeze a 4 year deal out of the Jets with the actual deal being 3 years.

If this is the case then this franchise is screwed.  I certainly hope Woody gave the reins to Maccags to make whatever decisions he feels are necessary.  If Woody is part of the decision-making equation then we're in deep trouble.

If this is the case then this franchise is screwed.  I certainly hope Woody gave the reins to Maccags to make whatever decisions he feels are necessary.  If Woody is part of the decision-making equation then we're in deep trouble.

Regardless of whether its good or bad, Woody cannot be removed from the equation.  I don't think he overrides Maccags on a decision such as QB, but he's not going to hamstring Maccags by being cheep. 

Archived