ESPN is reporting Coughlin is out

joewilly12

Stabile?  Didnt turn two franchises around like Parcells?

Coughlin took over a 4-12 Giants team. 6, 11, 8, 10 & 12 followed

Coughlin took over an expansion Jaguar team. 4 wins in year 1 of their existence then 9, 11, 11 & 14.  

Not impressive.  No turnovers to either organization :wacko:

A 1000 word diatribe on why these numbers are misleading or mediocre is sure to follow.

you know how to pad your post totals arguing a losing argument 

the Giants were ONE year removed from winning double digit games and making the playoffs.  teams go up and down but that team was not some trainwreck when he took over, he did leave Jacksonville a trainwreck though as he has done w/ NYG.

an expansion team that have every advantage known to man which was why BOTH expansion teams made the title game year 2.  Carolina winning their division at 12-4 and Jacksonville at 9-7 after morten Anderson missed a 30 yd FG which would have kept jax out.

took over NYG: 5 year period pre coughlin they had 2 double digit win seasons and made a Super Bowl. 

left them missing playoffs 6 of 7 years including 3 losing seasons in a row

took over jax: no history

left jax w/ 3 consecutive losing seasons

In his career coughlin had 3 consecutive losing seasons and 4 consecutive losing seasons at separate times.  HOF!

Know how many consec losing seasons Parcells had? ZERO, the man never had 2 straight losing seasons. Coughlin had streaks of 4 and 3. HOF!

let's look at what BP took over:

1983 NY Giants.  had made ONE postseason from 1964-1982.  BP was there 1983-1990. made playoffs 5 times and won 2 SBs. only 2 losing seasons, one was replacement season where he was 6-6 w/ regulars and 0-3 w/ scab player.

BP left NYG w/ a SUPER BOWL

1993 Pats: from 1989-1992 NE won a grand total of 14 games, they were threatening to move to SL, ownership was in shambles, they had sex harassment scandal.  in 4 years in NE, 2 PO apps, SB app.

left them w/ a SB and a boatload of young players that would contribute to dynasty years.

1997 jets: from 1987-1996 we made ONE postseason and did so at 8-8. from 1994-1996 we won 10 games TOTAL.  Our last winning season was 1988 at 8-7-1, year 1 he had us w/ winning record.  year 2 in title game w/ our first EVER AFC East title. 

he left us at 8-8

Dallas Cowboys: in post dynasty rut for many years. took over in 2003, hadn't had winning record since 1998.  finished 5-11 2000, 2001 and 2002.  had them at 10-6 and in playoffs first year, in playoffs 3 of 4 years.

Notice any differences from how much worse franchises were when BP took over to how he left them in much better shape?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Objectivity ......based on facts rather than feelings or opinions : not influenced by feelings.  I feel you're an azzhole. See, I am not being objective. 

Based on your assessment of Coughlin's career, you only credit him with '2 months of greatness'.  Since when is a football season 2 months.  Your argument is filled with excuses as childish as the dog ate my homework. Give the man his credit, what's it to ya. So he beat your beloved Pats.  No need to be so picayune about HOW he won and WHY he won and if this that or the other.  He took 2 underdog teams and beat a heavily favored opponent fair and square.  On top of that, he developed a new Jaguar team and had pretty good success there.  I agree his overall record wasn't over the top like Bill Cowher but you have to look at his OVERALL impact on the game and his place in history and that takes OBJECTIVITY.

you can feel any way you want, I wouldn't like you if you kept roasting my arguments too so I take no offense.

2 months: early jan to early feb in 2008 and again in 2012.  2 great runs from teams that barely made playoffs.  SB winning talent that lost 13 games in those 2 seasons.  That is NOT HOF worthy.

what overall impact has he had? did he come up w/ innovations? does he have a legacy of great coaches under him? what is this overall impact? he is a good man?  that's great but OJ Simpson is the hall, it's not about how good of a person you may or may not be.  Parcells was a douche but one of the greatest coaches of all time.  Kotite was a good man and a lousy HC.  that has nothing to do w/ making the Hall.

Giants were a 4 win team.  What they were 2 years before is stupid.  Football teams change year to year.  Anyone knows this.

You keep saying the expansion team had advantages.  Except for history, players, scouting dept, etc, etc.  He did a great job winning 4 in year one and then climbing up like he did.  

Your argument and diatribe are so silly on so many different levels.

what overall impact has he had? did he come up w/ innovations? does he have a legacy of great coaches under him? what is this overall impact? he is a good man?  that's great but OJ Simpson is the hall, it's not about how good of a person you may or may not be.  Parcells was a douche but one of the greatest coaches of all time.  Kotite was a good man and a lousy HC.  that has nothing to do w/ making the Hall.

What planet do you venture from? I hope you come in peace. We will take you to our leader.

Giants were a 4 win team.  What they were 2 years before is stupid.  Football teams change year to year.  Anyone knows this.

You keep saying the expansion team had advantages.  Except for history, players, scouting dept, etc, etc.  He did a great job winning 4 in year one and then climbing up like he did.  

Your argument and diatribe are so silly on so many different levels.

stop, teams get good and bad quickly.  they had a good foundation.

the expansion teams were awarded years before they played.  Coughlin took over after the 1993 season at BC. he had the end of 1993 and all of 1994 to scout and he came from college.

the expansion teams were given huge advantages and they took advantage.  Again, he had most talented team in conf late in the 90s and never made a SB then left jax in shambles but that gets ignored.  the fact that you won't acknowledge the advantages tells me all I need to know.  the great dom Capers had Carolina winning their division at 12-4 in year 2.  just stop it.

Does Coughlin belong on this list?
150-130 record. Two super bowls. I say no.

George Allen 1966-1977
Paul Brown 1946-1962
Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927
Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48
Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973
Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949
Joe Gibbs 1981-1992
Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974
Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985
George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67
Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953
Tom Landry 1960-1988
Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997
Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969
John Madden 1969-1978
Chuck Noll 1969-1991
Steve Owen # 1930-1953
Bill Parcells 1983-1990, 1993-99, 2003-06
Don Shula 1963-1995
Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977
Bill Walsh 1979-1988

Does Coughlin belong on this list?
150-130 record. Two super bowls. I say no.

George Allen 1966-1977
Paul Brown 1946-1962
Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927
Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48
Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973
Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949
Joe Gibbs 1981-1992
Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974
Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985
George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67
Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953
Tom Landry 1960-1988
Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997
Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969
John Madden 1969-1978
Chuck Noll 1969-1991
Steve Owen # 1930-1953
Bill Parcells 1983-1990, 1993-99, 2003-06
Don Shula 1963-1995
Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977
Bill Walsh 1979-1988

Levy, no SBs

George Allen, no SBs

Bud Grant no SBs

Hank Stram, 1 SB

He belongs on this list

Levy, no SBs

George Allen, no SBs

Bud Grant no SBs

Hank Stram, 1 SB

He belongs on this list

Levy led his team to 3 straight

Allen never had a losing season, led teams to the playoffs 7 of 12 years and reached a SB.

Bud Grant led team to 4 SBs

Hank Stram reached 2 SBs and won another AFL championships in the pre SB era. 

Levy and Grant LOL

p183882_b_v7_aa.jpg

Super Bowl success is one indicator of coaching quality.

Of course.. Grant got there three times and lost all three. He also led the Vikings to a 158-96 record, and 11 NFC Central championships in a 13 year span

Levy, we all well know, lost 4 of 4. He also went 112-70 in Buffalo and led them to 6 AFC East championships in 9 years.

Allen never had a losing season, led teams to the playoffs 7 of 12 years and reached a SB.

Levy led them to 3 straight losses, I know.  With a W/L record that wasnt better either.

Allen never won a SB.  Dont care what he did outside of that, Coughlin with 2 SB wins is in his neighborhood.  Easily

Grant, another who couldn't win the big game, belong

Stram won one SB.  

Dont know what you wrote that disputes what I said

Then again, Im still waiting for a reason you asked for Eli vs Sanchez 2014, 2015 or any playoff season comparison 

Any NFL HC who has not won at least 4 Super Bowl titles should not be eligible for the HOF.

Levy led them to 3 straight losses, I know.  With a W/L record that wasnt better either.

Allen never won a SB.  Dont care what he did outside of that, Coughlin with 2 SB wins is in his neighborhood.  Easily

Stram won one SB.  

It's already been proven in this thread that Super Bowl wins alone don't give an NFL head coach a golden ticket into the HOF.  Yet you dribble on about super bowl wins even when given solid stats from the other HOF you had chosen to mock. Ok.

it's easy to get to 4 straight SBs, right?  2 good months should mean more than 4 great years.:rolleyes:

Two SB wins over 4 losses?
Who, raise your hands, would trade 2 SB wins for 4 SB losses?

The only HC to lose 4 straight.  Only 4 time loser without a winning SB

He belongs, a 2 time winner, he doesnt.

Stram won one SB.  

Then again, Im still waiting for a reason you asked for Eli vs Sanchez 2014, 2015 or any playoff season comparison 

4 straight losses actually which is an incredible accomplishment to get a team that keeps losing to fight back over and over and over again.

Allen reached a SB and always had his teams in contention.

Grant made 4, that's a huge accomplishment and shows greatness over time.

Stram won one SB and an AFL title so that's 2 championships- as much as Coughlin.

I didn't ask for any eli-Sanchez comparison just simply stated a fact that both played really well in those playoff runs and the difference was D/STs not the QBs.

It's already been proven in this thread that Super Bowl wins alone don't give an NFL head coach a golden ticket into the HOF.  Yet you dribble on about super bowl wins even when given solid stats from the other HOF you had chosen to mock. Ok.

Dribble?  

Which solid stats does Coughlin lack?

Compare his numbers and get back to us.   No shlt, SBs arent the only number that counts.  Who said they were?  Im comparing coaching careers.  Their W/L records aren all that crazy different either.  Weeb is one game over .500. With one more championship.  So? 

Please list all the multiple SB winning HC who failed to get in when their time came up.

Dribble?  

Which solid stats does Coughlin lack?

Compare his numbers and get back to us.  

Please list all the multiple SB winning HC who failed to get in when their time came up.

how about all the losing seasons that I mentioned? how about getting fired twice, how about leaving the teams he was fired from in bad situations?

Tom Flores, George Siefert and soon to be Shanahan and Coughlin.

how about all the losing seasons that I mentioned? how about getting fired twice, how about leaving the teams he was fired from in bad situations?

Tom Flores, George Siefert and soon to be Shanahan and Coughlin.

How about you go back to telling me why you wanted to compare Eli in '14 to Sanchez?

This is over, Coughlin is going into the HOF. No matter how many times you say he isnt or doesnt deserve to get in

The two guys who shlt on your Pats and you cant give them credit.  The two people Pats fans cant make fun enough after they beat the Pats.

Crazy, right?

How about you go back to telling me why you wanted to compare Eli in '14 to Sanchez?

This is over, Coughlin is going into the HOF. No matter how many times you say he isnt or doesnt deserve to get in

I said sanchez was better in '14 and he was, led his O to almost 30 PPG, Eli led team to 6-10

Coughlin may get in but your arguments have been incredibly weak.  all you have are 2 great months, that doesn't make a HOF career.

I said sanchez was better in '14 and he was, led his O to almost 30 PPG, Eli led team to 6-10

Coughlin may get in but your arguments have been incredibly weak.  all you have are 2 great months, that doesn't make a HOF career.

Sanchez was better? LOL,  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sanchez ended the Eagle season with a pick.  

He was a backup.  To Foles. 

Played only due to an injury.  

Took over a 6-2 team and went 4-4, YEAH.  

He had less than mediocre numbers.

He averaged 30 PPG.  For a team that averages 30 per game before he was their QB.  And that makes him better than Eli?  

The Eagles were a 1st place, high powered playoff team when your boy took over.  They finished outside looking in.  and youre seriously bragging about what he did in 2014.   LOL, you are clueless.  Seriously.  

Sanchez was better? LOL,  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sanchez ended the Eagle season with a pick.  

He was a backup.  To Foles. 

Played only due to an injury.  

Took over a 6-2 team and went 4-4, YEAH.  

He had less than mediocre numbers.

He averaged 30 PPG.  For a team that averages 30 per game before he was their QB.  

And that makes him better than Eli?  LOL, you are clueless.  Seriously.  

in that game his K missed 2 chip shots in a close game that would have been the difference. 

Eli had the giants at 3-9 before they started winning some meaningless games.

the tough part of their sched was the 2nd half of the year where they faced Dallas twice, Seattle, Green Bay and Carolina and despite that the O scored almost a TD more per game.  the D is what held them back.

Eli led his O to 23.3 PPG

sanchez led his O to 27.1 PPG

which is better?

pre sanchez the O averaged 22.6

and again Sanchez played against the much tougher portion of their sched which included 5 games against playoff bound teams.

in that game his K missed 2 chip shots in a close game that would have been the difference. 

Eli had the giants at 3-9 before they started winning some meaningless games.

the tough part of their sched was the 2nd half of the year where they faced Dallas twice, Seattle, Green Bay and Carolina and despite that the O scored almost a TD more per game.  the D is what held them back.

Eli led his O to 23.3 PPG

sanchez led his O to 27.1 PPG

which is better?

pre sanchez the O averaged 22.6

and again Sanchez played against the much tougher portion of their sched which included 5 games against playoff bound teams.

Who cares who scored what with which team?
They didnt play on the same team, with the same players.  Are you this dense? Is anyone?

Sanchez was so good the Eagles went out and traded for a QB who hadnt played in 3 seasons and wasnt all that great when he last played.  Over the QB they saw in ever practice, every game.  

While the Giants do everything based on Eli.  There isnt a GM in the world who would trade Eli for Sanchez.  Not one.  Anywhere.  None

Who cares who scored what with which team?They didnt play on the same team, with the same players.  Are you this dense? Is anyone?

Sanchez was so good the Eagles went out and traded for a QB who hadnt played in 3 seasons and wasnt all that great when he last played.  Over the QB they saw in ever practice, every game.  

While the Giants do everything based on Eli.  There isnt a GM in the world who would trade Eli for Sanchez.  Not one.  Anywhere.  None

I know you struggling w/ reading but I am not saying Mark is better than Eli, I am saying he was better in 2010 and he was better last year(I'm sorry last season meaning 2014 since you will try to deflect again).

the Giants do everything based on Eli and have missed the playoffs 6 of 7 years w/ a supposed HOF HC.  Interesting.

As long as Jerry Reese is the GM,  the giants can bring Bill Belichick in to coach and they would be awful. The Giants didn't lack coaching, the team lacked  talent on offense/defense. Outside of Eli and Odell the team is a dumpster fire. The only good player on Defense is missing half a hand.

Coughlin has proven, at numerous times, that he can win with sub-par talent,  he proved twice that he could win a super bowl with average talent. Whoever they bring in will be a downgrade. I don't care about a couple of questionable calls in a few game this year because this team had 4-12 talent and it was only Coughlin's coaching that allowed them to be competitive in the first place. Good luck Giants fans....you're going to need it with Reese calling the shots!

Thank you...  Thank you. Thank you....

No one in their right mind could possible think that Coughlin was the problem.  He has already won SBs without the most talent!!!

IMO Giants were nuts to get rid of this coach...

I know you struggling w/ reading but I am not saying Mark is better than Eli, I am saying he was better in 2010 and he was better last year(I'm sorry last season meaning 2014 since you will try to deflect again).

the Giants do everything based on Eli and have missed the playoffs 6 of 7 years w/ a supposed HOF HC.  Interesting.

No, no, no I got it.  That Mark was better in 2014 is even dumber than he had a better career.  You dont save yourself with that comment.  

Now your off on another tangent after realizing Sanchez in 2014 wasnt better in Eli 2014.  Which you sure as shlt argued hard with points per game comment.  Until I schooled you and told you that Foles also was at 30 per over his 8 games.  And had that pesky 6-2 record over Sanchez and his typically mediocre 4-4 hanging around his worthless neck

Thank you...  Thank you. Thank you....

No one in their right mind could possible think that Coughlin was the problem.  He has already won SBs without the most talent!!!

IMO Giants were nuts to get rid of this coach...

those teams were very talented and had an incredible amount of quality pass rushers.  reese didn't build those teams though.

No, no, no I got it.  That Mark was better in 2014 is even dumber than he had a better career.  You dont save yourself with that comment.  

Now your off on another tangent after realizing Sanchez in 2014 wasnt better in Eli 2014.  Which you sure as shlt argued hard with points per game comment.  Until I schooled you and told you that Foles also was at 30 per over his 8 games.  And had that pesky 6-2 record over Sanchez and his typically mediocre 4-4 hanging around his worthless neck

Huh, he was better in 2014.  nowhere have changed anything, do you do anything but make stuff up?

schooled me:lol:

son, the offense w/ Foles scored 22.6 PPg not 30, you may want to try to keep up.

you also realize Foles got hurt in game 8 w/ the game TIED and they won w/ Mark, right? so really they were both 5-3 and mark led O to 27.1 PPG, Foles 22.6 and mark faced 5 playoff bound teams while Foles faced 2.

Archived