The Jets Better Not Follow The Yankees Lead With StubHub

SAR I

Love the Yankees, but their position against StubHub as if it's the problem with their ticket doldrums is just an awful decision for their season ticket holders.

Adore the Jets, but if they ever made it any harder to sell seats to games I simply cannot attend I'd seriously consider giving them up.

SAR I

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

SAR.

For us who don't follow baseball at all, can you let us know what Yankees did to Stubhub and why is it a bad decision for season ticket holders?

Sure, sorry, should have explained it, it was all over the radio on Wednesday.

The Yankees are no longer allowing fans to print out PDF's and use them to enter Yankee Stadium.  They are requiring either a standard cardboard ticket or a digital QR code ticket for entry.  Their logic (which is complete BS) is that PDF's are too easy to copy and people are showing up with counterfeit tickets that are too easy to print out on a home computer.  So they only will allow standard tickets issued by the Yankees themselves or a digital ticket.  Their real motive is that StubHub's prices have no floor and the Yankees don't sell out and so fans can get a $50 mezzanine seat on StubHub and have no reason to pay $150 to the Yankees.  With Ticketmaster, the Yankees can set a floor price, make sure that no fans can resell tickets below a certain dollar amount.  The fact that it's their own season ticket holders trying to get a few dollars back doesn't seem to matter to the Yankees.  They're going to find out the hard way.

How this relates to StubHub is that they are the biggest and the best ticket resale portal and they don't have permission from the Yankees to integrate their digital QR code ticket system into their platform.  So if you're a fan and want to use StubHub to go to a Yankee game, the only option you'd have is to get them in the regular mail which is inconvenient for the seller and the buyer, won't happen.  Yankee fans who want to go do a few games will have to download a Ticketmaster app, put in personal information, and use that service to get Yankee tickets on the aftermarket.

As someone who has sold Jets tickets on the aftermarket for 15 years I can tell you that fans just want a good price and they want something that gets them tickets quickly and easily.  Everyone uses StubHub, this would be a big deal and hurt the ability of season ticket holders to move seats to games they can't get to.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Love the Yankees, but their position against StubHub as if it's the problem with their ticket doldrums is just an awful decision for their season ticket holders.

Adore the Jets, but if they ever made it any harder to sell seats to games I simply cannot attend I'd seriously consider giving them up.

SAR I

You recall the big claim the Jets made at the start of the PSL process.  One of the Jets major selling points for PSLs was that purchasers would have the right to resell the tickets anytime and at any price.  This was stated on multiple occasions.  The difference between the Yankees and the Jets is the PSL.  The PSL money people coughed up should afford us more privileges in selling than whatever it is that the Yankees are trying to do.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ticketmaster is the only site that should be used they guarantee the tickets are real,friends of mine bought 10 Giants-Cowboys tickets on StubhHub only to find out on game day they were counterfeit. 

Sorry about your friends experience, but saying Ticketmaster is the only site that should be used is not correct.  StubHub's counterfeit ticket level is less than half of 1%.  And if in a rare example it does happen, StubHub is on-site at the games and will immediately swap equal or better seats to any fans inconvenienced.

The point is that if I pay $150 to the Yankees to watch them play the Mariners on some lonely Thursday night and I have a meeting and can't go, I should have the right to get $75 or $50 or $25 back on a site that's easy to use for fans.  The Yankees should not have the right to say that I can only sell my tickets as low as $100 while they sell their seats at any price they want. 

SAR I

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ticketmaster is the only site that should be used they guarantee the tickets are real,friends of mine bought 10 Giants-Cowboys tickets on StubhHub only to find out on game day they were counterfeit. 

Stub Hub guarantees the sales.  Your friends were given full refunds no doubt, although that didn't help them on game day. 

I have been buying and selling sports, theater, and concert tickets on Stub Hub for about 15 years or more.  Hundreds of transactions.  Guess how many times I got bad tickets?  

Zero.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Stub Hub guarantees the sales.  Your friends were given full refunds no doubt, although that didn't help them on game day. 

I have been buying and selling sports, theater, and concert tickets on Stub Hub for about 15 years or more.  Hundreds of transactions.  Guess how many times I got bad tickets?  

Zero.

It took my friends months to recoup the money they laid out for those tickets and a lot of aggravation phone calls and emails it wasn't easy. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Zero.

+1

There is a reason that StubHub is the #1 ticket resale site.  StubHub has over 50% market share, Ticketmaster around 10%.  Ticketmaster is more expensive and requires an app.  Not all buyers have smartphones, some just want to download a PDF and get on the subway and go.

SAR I

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems the Yankees are protecting their fans with all the counterfeiting going on. Remember you own the rights the tickets nothing more the organization decides the rules of the use. 

That's indeed rare. As I said, I buy concert, sports and theater tickets on stub hub all the time.  Hunreds of purchases.  Never had a problem once. Nor has anyone else I know ever had a problem. Your friends were unlucky.  But to make it seem that such things are typical is a gross distortion of reality.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sorry about your friends experience, but saying Ticketmaster is the only site that should be used is not correct.  StubHub's counterfeit ticket level is less than half of 1%.  And if in a rare example it does happen, StubHub is on-site at the games and will immediately swap equal or better seats to any fans inconvenienced.

The point is that if I pay $150 to the Yankees to watch them play the Mariners on some lonely Thursday night and I have a meeting and can't go, I should have the right to get $75 or $50 or $25 back on a site that's easy to use for fans.  The Yankees should not have the right to say that I can only sell my tickets as low as $100 while they sell their seats at any price they want. 

SAR I

If the Yankees follow through with this threat,  you'll just have to sell your hard copy tickets without instant download and use StubHub's Fed Ex for delivery.  Sucks, because you have to complete the sale at least 3-4 days before the event whereas with PDFs you can sell 5 minutes before the event.  Yankees are being pricks about this.  F-ck them.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The media misrepresents the issue because the white collar/blue collar class wars sells more newspapers.

It's not about wealthy $400 lower level season ticket holders being forced to sit next to cheap last minute $100 buyers.  That's not the issue.  Lower level season ticket holders who are forced to purchase 81 games a year should have the right to sell any tickets they want at any price they want for games they can't attend.  Forcing their fans to purchase a large game package at full price and then taking away the ability to recoup some money while underselling other tickets themselves will force season ticket holders to dump the seats entirely.  The Yankees are punishing their most loyal fans, trying to win at both ends.  Not going to work.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems the Yankees are protecting their fans with all the counterfeiting going on. Remember you own the rights the tickets nothing more the organization decides the rules of the use. 

That's pure, unadulterated bullshpit.  The Yankees are trying to make it as difficult as possible for their ticket holders to sell below "face" value.  That is their one and only motive here.  Ticketmaster can eat schit as far as I am concerned with their bogus minimum sale price of "face value".  Now there is the real con job.

Just now, Dcat said:

That's pure, unadulterated bullshpit.  The Yankees are trying to make it as difficult as possible for their ticket holders to sell below "face" value.  That is their one and only motive here.  Ticketmaster can eat schit as far as I am concerned with their bogus minimum sale price of "face value".  Now there is the real con job.

What the hell does it matter to the Yankees they already got FULL PRICE for those tickets. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

There isn't "all the counterfeiting going on".  That's the point.  If you use StubHub (clearly you haven't) you'd know that somewhat like eBay there is a self-policing that goes on and StubHub bans any seller whose had any issue with their tickets. 

If there is counterfeiting, it's the old fashioned way, shady guy in the parking lot with fakes, and that can happen with any ticket service including Ticketmaster.

StubHub has less than a 1% counterfeit issue.  The Yankees are making up a phony problem so that they can restrict their season ticket holders from making back some money on games they can't attend in an effort to get the ticket sales themselves.  It's going to backfire badly.  Imagine you're a diehard Yankee fan and you have $200 seats in the lower level, and you have 4 seats.  You're spending $65,000 a year to the Yankees but you always had the ability to get rid of 10 or 15 games that you just couldn't attend.  Even if you could only get $75 a seat, it's still better to pocket $300 than lose $800.  With this years rules, the Yankees could force Ticketmaster to put a floor of $150 on those seats, no one would buy them, and you'd have to eat all $800.  Your $75 buyer thought your seats were too expensive, so they bought upper level seats from the Yankees directly for the same price.

These teams have so few diehard fans willing to spend this kind of money they'd best realize that and not mess with us.

SAR I

What the hell does it matter to the Yankees they already got FULL PRICE for those tickets. 

You're kidding, right?  It matters a lot.  They don't sell out.  If I can buy a "premium" seat on stub Hub for a Tuesday night game at 35% of face, why in the world would I ever buy one at full price from the Yankees or worse, from Ticket Master (with their 25% commission added on)?  The Yankees are trying to increase regular sales by making it harder for resales below face. It's as plain as the nose on your face.  "Protecting their ticket purchasers"  LOL.  That's about the silliiest thing posted here in weeks, Gato posts excepted of course.

You read it here all the time.  Why buy tix for Jets Club seats at face or buy PSLs for the Jets, when you can purchase below face for all clubs and all the "meh" end zone seats in the stadium.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If the Yankees follow through with this threat,  you'll just have to sell your hard copy tickets without instant download and use StubHub's Fed Ex for delivery.  Sucks, because you have to complete the sale at least 3-4 days before the event whereas with PDFs you can sell 5 minutes before the event.  Yankees are being pricks about this.  F-ck them.

Yes, and as you probably know, if this ever happened to us, Jets fans are notoriously cheap and wait out sellers until they get desperate and drop their drawers, buying tickets very late in the week, often on Saturday afternoons or Sunday morning.  Different of course when we're good (2010, 2011, 2015) or when we play a dominant NFL team (PIT, NE, DAL, MIA) but for the rest of the lame games in pedestrian seasons it's very competitive out there on the resale market and PSL and season ticket holders need every opportunity to make a quick and easy sale.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree SAR I how can anyone first off afford baseball season tickets then attend every game is crazy.  It seems they are trying to protect the fan is what I get out of it. Sellers who use StubHub see it differently. 

It's not good for either of the two "fans":

Seller Fan:  Diehard Yankee fan forking over tens of thousands of dollars for a full or partial season package will now get $0 on resale for a game as opposed to $75 or $100 or whatever.

Buyer Fan:  Has a budget of $50 to see a game on a Thursday night, cheapest seats for the game are $100, he doesn't get to go.

There is nothing pro-fan here at all.  If the Yankees don't want to compete with their most loyal fans for a-la-carte seats then they shouldn't force their most loyal fans to commit to full pricing on season ticket packages.

SAR I

The Yankees probably have a lot more unsold tickets than the Jets wouldn't you guys agree. 

Definitely, it's a problem with that sport, just way too many seats and way too many games.  NFL is the biggest bargain in American sports.  8 home games, each incredibly important to the outcome of a season.  MLB 81 home games, NHL/NBA 41 home games, just too many throwaways.

It makes it all the more shocking that the Yankees are going to war with their most important fans. 

Analogous to the Jets (because I know our metrics intimately, not so the Yankees), remember that though there are 82,500 seats in MetLife Stadium, only 43,000 have PSL commitments and the average fan has 3 seats.  Do the math, there are only around 14,000 Jets fans who write big checks to the Jets each year.  In a tri-state area of 20 million people that is an incredibly small amount of fans who the Jets should covet and absolutely not piss off.  The Yankees, by trying to take control of the aftermarket, are screwing with people who can also play the StubHub game and give up their season tickets rather easily.  If losing StubHub and fighting floor pricing means these fans have to eat too many games, they'll give up their subscriptions and the Yankees will have created an environment where there are no season ticket holders.  

SAR I

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You guys make valid points and they are probably true its all about the money when it comes to professional sports. 

It is, and what's frustrating here is that the Yankees already got paid full price for the very seats that are causing their problem on StubHub, so why are they crying?  If in the end a $200 ticket on a cold dreary May night against the Indians is only worth $50 to the fanbase, they should be grateful they got some loyal season ticket holder to pay $200 for it to begin with.  Instead, they want to keep their $200, prevent that guy from getting back a measly $50, and then then they want to sell another seat to that same fan for $75.

The issue, and I wish the media would finally get this, is that being a MLB season ticket holder and being forced to pay the same price for all games when some are clearly worth nothing is the root cause here.  If the Yankees priced that arbitrary May Thursday night Indians game at $50 to begin with, there is no issue, the guy who can't go wouldn't bother trying to resell them and the Yankees could sell their unsold seats themselves.  They're trying to win at both ends, it's not going to work, season ticket holders are going to quit in droves and they won't come back.

SAR I

Just now, drdetroit said:

What the Yankees need to do is massively overhaul the pricing structure at the new stadium 

i am am so sick and tired of nothing but empty seats at the lower level of the new stadium 

Exactly bring the prices of all seats back down to earth,fans in seats sell concessions and merchandise which adds to revenue. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly bring the prices of all seats back down to earth,fans in seats sell concessions and merchandise which adds to revenue. 

They can do the anti-stubhub thing but make the seat prices for lower level lower.  Stop trying to milk hedge fund managers and celebrities at $20k per seat like the Knicks do.

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

They can do the anti-stubhub thing but make the seat prices for lower level lower.  Stop trying to milk hedge fund managers and celebrities at $20k per seat like the Knicks do.

The Yankees are riding history and the new stadium the product on the field has been mediocre for years,Jeter was the draw he's gone now lower the ticket prices and fill the stadium like the old days. 

They are requiring either a standard cardboard ticket or a digital QR code ticket for entry.

so if the jets do this, you would have to get the actual game ticket into the hands of the buyer ?  that is annoying as hell

how does the digital QR code work ? can you somehow transfer that to the buyer ?

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Yankees are riding history and the new stadium the product on the field has been mediocre for years,Jeter was the draw he's gone now lower the ticket prices and fill the stadium like the old days. 

The team has made the playoffs (including a World Series) every year except two seasons since moving into the new stadium.  Hard to call that mediocre especially when they again have a good team this season.

The problem is the Steinbrenners want to copy the Knicks business model of charging beyond platinum rates for premium seats hence that eye sore ghost house behind home plate we have to watch.

Just now, drdetroit said:

The team has made the playoffs (including a World Series) every year except two seasons since moving into the new stadium.  Hard to call that mediocre especially when they again have a good team this season.

The problem is the Steinbrenners want to copy the Knicks business model of charging beyond platinum rates for premium seats hence that eye sore ghost house behind home plate we have to watch.

Listen im a lifelong Yankees fan and the play has been mediocre compared to history of the Yankees. 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Prior to cell phones and computer printers fans had to show up with a legitimate printed ticket from the season ticket holder to gain entry to the stadium,whats the big deal. 

Prior to cell phones and computer printers you had to go to Pennysaver and find a broker or eventually eBay and in all cases worry about fraud and worry about timing with the tickets in the US Mail.

StubHub is a godsend to a season ticket holder because it's far easier and faster to find a buyer and complete a secure and safe financial transaction.  Today's ticket buyers are impulsive, they don't think about attending a Yankee game until the day of the game, perhaps the night before.  Very few pre-plan a trip to a baseball game anymore, just too many games, just too easy to find tickets, really easy to avoid committing to a bad weather day.

I thought I was going into NYC today, was going to hit the Museum Of Natural History, but our plans changed.  Just realized the Rangers are at home tonight, might just hit a few buttons and get 2 seats in the next 10 minutes.  That would have been considered impossible just a few years ago.

SAR I

Archived