Vexing math: Jets have 7 draft needs, but only 6 picks ~ ~ ~

kelly

29 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You wouldn't disagree that probably ZERO teams use their TE that little and have actually won the SB? But that doesn't mean the team is focused on changing it?! That has got to be the very dumbest thing I have ever heard. If the CS doesn't agree and still chooses to play without a TE then they should be f*cking fired immediately. It's a VITAL part of a functioning offense. In fact, it's a well known safety outlet for most SB winning QB's.

I would wager that they will pick a TE in the draft. Now, I am not very certain, only because their is such a lack of talent at TE in this draft. But right now they have nobody. They need someone to step up and start catching the ball when their number is called.

This argument is as dead as that deer you used to have in your avatar. 

Generally yes, most teams use TEs more than we do. That doesn't make it true of Gailey's offense.

During the hiring of Gailey last year, there was talk that he might implement a lot of spread offence concepts, similar to that of the college game.  Putting the tight end in either the H-back position or in the slot rather than lining them up on the line to block.  Perhaps the Jets are in need of a traditional inline tight end to give them more versatility and a more traditional pro-style offense or perhaps they are trending more toward the college spread offense.

Side story:  A couple years ago during the combine Kurt Warner was on the field talking about the quarterbacks and how they needed to be able to adjust their throws to get them up and down over dropping linebackers to the tight ends operating in the middle of the field.  Someone then made a jokingly snide remark to Warner about him not being able to do that and Warner laughed it off as an inside joke and said he had better options on the outside.  Warner might be one of the few quarterbacks that did not utilize the tight end.

The 1999 Rams targeted their tight ends 49 times. He had Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk.
The 2008 Cardinals targeted their tight ends 37 times. He had Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston, Tim Hightower and J. J. Arrington
The only other team that was successful with under-utilizing a tight end was the 2001 Patriots with 29 targets.

Jets needs imo:

QB:  We need to draft one, if we can get one of the top three guys great, if not we still need to draft one somewhere in the draft.  Must have.

RB:  Would like to get one, would love to get Elliot but our off season moves mean we don't have to have one.  Would still like a 3rd down speed guy.  Maybe have.

WR:  You should always be looking for added talent here.  A ton depends on how the team views Devin Smith.  Maybe have.

TE:  The way the teams offense is presently set up I really don't see a big need.  I'm a bit surprised that the team seems so indifferent to Amaro.  Not a priority late round if anything.

Oline:  We need to draft a tackle somewhere in this draft.  D'Brick will most likely be gone after this year if he stays this year at all.  Giacomini is a real cut candidate.  We have a few oline prospects but we really have no clue what the team thinks of them.  If the draft falls a certain way I could see us picking one at 20.  We might even take a center prospect later in the draft as well.  Must have.

Dline: This draft has a lot of good dlineman but we simply do not need one, I can see is taking one if value is far above draft pick position.  Not a priority.

Linebacker:  We could use some youth at ILB but with recent signings I think we are reasonably covered at ILB, OLB is another matter.  At least one and maybe more if we want to double down for OLB's  We have no depth and really only have one viable guy right now in Mauldin.  Must have.

Defensive backs: I can see the Jets taking a CB somewhere in the draft, Milliner and McDougall are just too big of ???  But neither Cb or Safety is a priority.

Special Teams:   To the credit of our front office I think they finally realized that ST's are important, both punting and returning.  I could easily see a late round pick or two being made here, specifically punter.  Must have.  (whether in the draft or priority UDFA we need mutuiple options to address st's)

Of course all of these wants and must haves are going to be mitigated by simple draft value.  If there is a safety you think very highly of on the 3rd round and he's much more of a steal than other positions of need that at point you take the safety.  In the end good teams are made over years with picking the best players.

Jets needs imo:

QB:  We need to draft one, if we can get one of the top three guys great, if not we still need to draft one somewhere in the draft.  Must have.

RB:  Would like to get one, would love to get Elliot but our off season moves mean we don't have to have one.  Would still like a 3rd down speed guy.  Maybe have.

WR:  You should always be looking for added talent here.  A ton depends on how the team views Devin Smith.  Maybe have.

TE:  The way the teams offense is presently set up I really don't see a big need.  I'm a bit surprised that the team seems so indifferent to Amaro.  Not a priority late round if anything.

Oline:  We need to draft a tackle somewhere in this draft.  D'Brick will most likely be gone after this year if he stays this year at all.  Giacomini is a real cut candidate.  We have a few oline prospects but we really have no clue what the team thinks of them.  If the draft falls a certain way I could see us picking one at 20.  We might even take a center prospect later in the draft as well.  Must have.

Dline: This draft has a lot of good dlineman but we simply do not need one, I can see is taking one if value is far above draft pick position.  Not a priority.

Linebacker:  We could use some youth at ILB but with recent signings I think we are reasonably covered at ILB, OLB is another matter.  At least one and maybe more if we want to double down for OLB's  We have no depth and really only have one viable guy right now in Mauldin.  Must have.

Defensive backs: I can see the Jets taking a CB somewhere in the draft, Milliner and McDougall are just too big of ???  But neither Cb or Safety is a priority.

Special Teams:   To the credit of our front office I think they finally realized that ST's are important, both punting and returning.  I could easily see a late round pick or two being made here, specifically punter.  Must have.  (whether in the draft or priority UDFA we need mutuiple options to address st's)

Of course all of these wants and must haves are going to be mitigated by simple draft value.  If there is a safety you think very highly of on the 3rd round and he's much more of a steal than other positions of need that at point you take the safety.  In the end good teams are made over years with picking the best players.

That sounds like the strategy used by expansion teams.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets needs imo:

I agree with a lot of this but if they were such big needs that we'd target them in he draft then some needed to be addressed in FA. Unless the FO views the team as being on a 2-year plan not do or die in 2016, in which case just get the best players we can, do some more fill-in with the remaining FAs after the Mo/Brick situations are addressed, and re-assess & re-tool for the 2017 season. 

Also...I'm a big fan of the long post like you made. Big fan. 

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

But you don't read any reports and you still know better? You need to check your ego at the door.

Actions speak far louder than words, my friend.  Has nothing to do with ego or with me.  

Mac did not sign Gresham because the Jets are cash strapped. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this sh*t out?

Sure they could have afforded him.  They didn't want to.  Actions.  

Now, that report may prove very little, but it definitely proves more than you merely posting something on a message board.

The only thing that proves anything is the Jets inaction at the position.  If we draft a TE in the 1st/2nd/3rd round, you'll be right, and I wrong.  So we'll see.  I'm ok with being wrong, although I'm confident I won;t be, and confident my analysis is accurate, certainly more accurate that a writer spouting filler nonsense to fill newspaper pages.

You wouldn't disagree that probably ZERO teams use their TE that little and have actually won the SB? But that doesn't mean the team is focused on changing it?! That has got to be the very dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If you say so.  The Jets do not value the TE position under Chan.  That's reality.

If the CS doesn't agree and still chooses to play without a TE then they should be f*cking fired immediately.

They won't be.

It's a VITAL part of a functioning offense.

Not Chan's.

In fact, it's a well known safety outlet for most SB winning QB's.

So are RB's.  Which is what Chan uses.

I would wager that they will pick a TE in the draft.

Wager what then?

Now, I am not very certain, only because their is such a lack of talent at TE in this draft.

Backpedal.....

But right now they have nobody.\

They have Amaro.

They need someone to step up and start catching the ball when their number is called.

That's why we have WR's.

And the Jets do not have to trade Mo?! Well......if they don't have to trade him then WTF else are they going to do with him? Resign him?

Because resigning veterans is impossibru!

Wow, it's really going to kill the Jets to see Sheldon Richardson to go to jail for what? A DAY? 3 Days at the most?

Jail for a day, suspension for 8 games.

He didn't smuggle cocaine across the border Warfish. He didn't murder anyone.

No, he drove recklessly, with a minor child in the car, and then resisted arrest.

Any jail time he does (and he probably won't do any time behind bars) will be a few days at the most.

And ho long are you estimating his suspension will last?

@Mainejet We didn't sign Gresham because he wanted to take a 1 year deal with Arizona to see if he could get his dollars up higher. 

Our offer was higher than Arizona's. It is completely made-up fiction that he re-signed there because we couldn't afford him. We were not outbid. It's that no one bid the lofty numbers he wanted. So he decided to bet on himself on a 1 year show-me deal, still for millions of dollars, living in beautiful Arizona, over locking himself into our sh*t weather for the remainder of his playing prime, for less than he thought he could get a year later. 

Archived