which jets roster spots could be in jeopardy after the Draft ? ? ?

kelly

The NFL Draft is just a few days away. Which prominent players on the Jets could see their roster spots vanish depending on what the team chooses to do  ?

Geno Smith

Geno Smith has the widest range of possible outcomes for the Jets in 2016. If the season began today, he would be the team's starting quarterback. Meanwhile, if the Jets take a quarterback in the first three rounds of the Draft, he might not have a roster spot. Indications are the Jets want to have a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer on the roster. The rookie would take up another slot. Bryce Petty would be the third quarterback. There would be no reason to carry a fourth. The Jets might eventually hold Geno through the preseason in case somebody got hurt since he probably is not tradeable. His path to the roster becomes difficult to see, though.

Breno Giacomini

The Jets will still need to maneuver a bit to have cap space to work with for in-season signings. While the team has kept Giacomini on board for the time being, he would remain a logical cut since releasing him would open up over $4 million in new cap space. If the Jets take a tackle early, Breno is a goner.

Nick Folk

Folk is another avenue the Jets could use to open up cap space, over $2 million in this instance. Folk hit a few clutch kicks early in his career, which have given him a big reputation. Unfortunately, his performance has not matched that reputation. For most of his tenure, Folk has been a below average kicker, less reliable than the perception. A late round kicker could help the Jets save money and get better with any luck.

>      http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/4/25/11501246/which-jets-roster-spots-could-be-in-jeopardy-after-the-draft

Geno will only be here if they do not draft a Qb and sign a vet, otherwise he will be dumped.  Giaco should for sure be gone.  It wouldn't bother me if folk was gone as well but I don;t mind him, the salary is not that big of a handicap.

Even if the Jets draft a QB I don't see them simply dumping Geno Smith. A veteran backup is a major safety valve in the NFL. I think Breno could be a casualty if the Jets draft an OL in round two or higher. Folk also, I liked what I saw from Bullock. Definitely the one guy that has GOT TO GO is Ryan Quigley. If I see that pri$k shank another punt inside our own 20 again, I swear I will hunt him down in the outback and stangle him.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Even if the Jets draft a QB I don't see them simply dumping Geno Smith. A veteran backup is a major safety valve in the NFL. I think Breno could be a casualty if the Jets draft an OL in round two or higher. Folk also, I liked what I saw from Bullock. Definitely the one guy that has GOT TO GO is Ryan Quigley. If I see that pri$k shank another punt inside our own 20 again, I swear I will hunt him down in the outback and stangle him.

Quigley is a free agent and they aren't bringing him back.

Folk is expensive and could be cut to save money if they bring in someone, but it wouldn't come until after camp. Bullock is a free agent.

Breno is gone when they draft someone. He should be gone regardless, because as bad as Brick was last season, Breno was worse.

Geno is gone when Fitz comes back and they draft someone, if Fitz gets hurt they can see what they have in Bryce. They already know what they have with Geno and it's not good. Moving on is best for everyone at this stage.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

geno will be on our roster for at least one more season..

:cry:

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Quigley is already gone.

If you have a vet backup you simply don't like you let him go.  I don't think the jets like Geno.  Oh if they fail in other moves he might still be around but I think they will sign a vet, fitz or someone else, I think they will draft a QB.

The Jets already did their veteran roster purge. 

Colon. Pace. Cro. Kerley. D'Brick. 

It's a nice change from previous years, when old, overpriced vets hung around on end years of long term deals. 

That being said, the fact that we only have one half viable starter at OLB on the roster at this point is a concern. 

I cannot see Folk's job being in danger. He'll have TC competition, sure that would happen anyway, but no one is going to beat him out. Geno Smith and Giacomini? This is where the author is making sense. If The Jets draft another QB, ANY QB, Geno Smith is a f*cking goner and I would be happy as hell with that outcome. If the Jets draft an OL, a PROBABLE draft selection, depending on where they are taken and how much time they need to develop, Giacomini could be gone right after the draft. Put it this way, if the Jets take an OL in the 1st round? Giacomini is a goner.

Finally, it's draft day, the NFL's version of Christmas morning.

The New York Jets, picking 20th, probably won't be on the clock until 10 p.m. ET or so, which means another 15 hours of rumors and speculation. Here's what I'm hearing :

1. Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch is the player most commonly linked to the Jets in mock drafts (including by me in the televised NFL Nation mock draft on Tuesday night), but I no longer believe that will happen. I received late information on Lynch, and the sense I get is the organization has concerns about his maturity and ability to adjust to a pro-style offense. There's a lot of smoke leading up to the draft, and sometimes it takes a while to see through it.

2. If the Jets use one of their six picks on a quarterback, it could be Penn State'sChristian Hackenberg. Yeah, I know, he was mediocre at best over the last two seasons, but I hear the Jets like him. I spoke to officials from two other teams and they, too, made positive comments about him. He'd be an absolute reach at 20, but there's a good chance he'll go in the second round. By the Jets? We'll see.

3. The Jets' No. 1 need is outside linebacker. As one AFC scout told me, "The one thing they're still missing on defense is an edge rusher. They can play the run and rush from the inside, but they need someone on the edge who can win in one-on-one situations." The top edge rushers figure to be gone by 20. Too bad, because Georgia's Leonard Floydwould be a nice fit in the Jets' 3-4 scheme. I'm told they like Boise State's Kamalei Correa, widely projected as a late first or early second-round pick. He'd be a reach at 20; he'd be a better value in a trade-down scenario.

4. They could be targeting a wide receiver at 20, according to the NFL Network.As I noted last week, a wide receiver could come into play if general manager Mike Maccagnan drafts strictly based on best-player-available, which he says he does. At first glance, it's not a pressing need because Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker form one of the better tandems in the league, but take a closer look. The Jets employ a three-receiver base offense and use more four-receiver packages than any team. Beyond Marshall and Decker, the talent is average. Also remember that Marshall is 32 years old. If they pick Ole Miss' Laquon Treadwellor TCU's Josh Doctson, both of whom fit the Jets' profile from a size standpoint, it would be an indictment of Devin Smith (ACL surgery), last year's second-round pick.

5. The top four offensive tackles and top edge rushers figure to be gone at 20. If Maccagnan sticks to his BPA philosophy, the pick could be a receiver, a cornerback or Alabama inside linebacker Reggie Ragland. The corners would be Ohio State's Eli Apple and Houston's William Jackson III. A corner or receiver would have a chance to see significant playing time from Day 1.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60022/qb-paxton-lynch-fading-others-emerging-on-jets-draft-board

Archived