What's not to love?

Integrity28

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

So the end of 2017-18 is the end of next season. So I agree with you. But I don't think that nec. translates to Hack being a long term project?

You're going to hear from coaching and Jets brass that he needs to work on some things, he needs to develop, he will sit this year and learn (which he will and he should). But unless Geno has a great season, resigns, and solidifies himself as a starter (or the Jets find a legit starter elsewhere)- Hack will have a legitimate shot to start next year. To me, that is not a long term project. That's pretty standard sitting a rookie QB for one season stuff. And I think Mac and the Jets coaching staff believe Hack will be ready next year to take that leap.

Mentally, I think he is probably pretty close already- and that is the key. That's the edge he has over guys like Geno and Petty. 

Regardless of his overthows in practice and 'looking like a rookie' in camp, if he has a good pre-season and shows continual improvement throughout the year (which would not be that surprising), he will be positioned to competent for the starting job next year. And (for better or worse) Mac will want to see   

I appreciate your optimism, but I think you're highly overstating how "close" he is mentally, and underselling how improbable it is that he improves on his accuracy. 

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And given this owner and fanbase, there is no reason to believe we won't tolerate it. If we were willing to put up with Sanchez for 5 years and Geno for 4, that's pretty much what we deserve.

However, I think Wood endured Rex because Rex was a celebrity who was coddled by the local hacks. Bowles is a boring man who plays a boring style of football, not dissimilar to Mangini. If the team falters for a considerable stretch, and the coverage turns ugly, we'llmhave to see how much Woody has learned.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I appreciate your optimism, but I think you're highly overstating how "close" he is mentally, and underselling how improbable it is that he improves on his accuracy. 

Its not really an optimistic way of seeing things, but more of a realistic way.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

However, I think Wood endured Rex because Rex was a celebrity who was coddled by the local hacks. Bowles is a boring man who plays a boring style of football, not dissimilar to Mangini. If the team falters for a considerable stretch, and the coverage turns ugly, we'llmhave to see how much Woody has learned.

I dunno man, you might be right about his accuracy. That's a harder thing to predict. But, unless he is mentally broken down by taking a beating due to a poor o-line (which I don't think he is), all he really needs to do is get a firm grasp of the playbook and get a better understanding of NFL defenses, which, for a film rat like Hack, should not take longer than one season with the clip-board. 

Again,  wheter or not he can start next year will depend on his play on the field, how he improves on footwork, accuracy, etc., and how fast he develops chemistry with this offense. Mentally, I think he is very close.

JMHO.

Buffalo's backfield: Rex Ryan's idea of a modern-day offense amounts to running the ball 58 times per game with a clown car of backs. That plan took a hit on Thursday when rookie Jonathan Williams was arrested on suspicion of DWI. Friday brought more ugly news, as out-of-shape Karlos Williams was slapped with a four-game ban for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. It hasn't been a fun summer for Karlos, who showed up to minicamp overweight after treating his fiancée's pregnancy as a green light to eat, in his words, "anything and everything." After piling up seven touchdowns on just 93 carries last year -- effectively turning LeSean McCoy into fantasy fool's gold -- Williams has morphed into an enigma.

On 7/14/2016 at 1:34 PM, David Harris said:

I love Mac slightly more than I've loved every previous GM  around this time in their tenure. Think he's legit...but his job security you will most likely come down to Hackenburg's development ( or finding any other long-term QB) just as ultimately mike's came down to Sanchez and idziks geno.

I doubt that if either Hackenberg or Petty fail to develop that Woody will can Mac. I say just keep drafting one every year until you find one. I too think Mac is doing a fine job and I love that he got Mo signed under the wire and now I know he will bring Fitz back soon. Jets will make the playoffs this season as Bowles gets faster LB's to cover the wheel routes mentioned in the first post.

Archived