2015 v 2016 v 2017

varjet

One of my theories is that new players and coaches do better in the NFL.  I think so much of the game is preparation and film review, when a team has something new to show, oftentimes the opposing side is unprepared.  The great players and teams adapt and change.

Some examples of this are the Testaverde and Pennington debuts for the Jets, as well as Sanchez.  He did go to the AFCCG as a rookie.  No small feat.

Last year, Fitz was new to the Jets, in a different offense than the Texans, and Bowles and his scheme.  The Jets went 10-6, but still lost the the former coach who knew alot of the players.   Hmm.

Revis was quoted yesterday saying how AJ Green told him he watched film of him all off season.  It was obvious that the Bengals knew how to play the Jets on offense and defense.

Obviously, NFL teams do not repeat their records every year.  Players get better, players get older and worse, and opponents study for weaknesses.  This will be a tough year for Revis and Fitz, because not only are they older, but opponents are on to them.

Out of the chute, the entire Jets secondary appears to have regressed.  Something bigger must be going on.  Revis and Gilcrist may have gotten older.  Harris needs to be watched carefully, as does Mangold.  Mangold does appear fitter so far this year.

I have a funny feeling that this is the last year we see alot of the players currently on the Jets.

It's hard to take the long view after a heartbreaking first game/lost of the season.  However this idea that the league takes a while to get up to speed on a new player or a new scheme was part of the rationale for not resigning Fitz (hope this doesn't derail your thread op).

Think one of the topics discussed on an earlier day was the Parcells quote about "each rookie starting costs you a loss in 1 game"

that is the opposite of what you are thnking

Parcells (and most experts) & little old me I believe chime in on the other side, continuity with coaches / QB / & key players do better than new regimes & new players.

Let's play a few more games before we start putting forks into our older players. The Bengals are a 14-2, 13-3, 12-4 team this year if they stay healthy. They've been in the playoffs 5 years in a row while the Jets have missed the playoffs 5 years in a row. Just a bit of difference in continuity.

Based on watching Redzone, no other team looked as good as the Bengals to me, except the Steelers, Broncos, Patriots. We play two of those teams this year so we'll see where we stack up. We're playing the best, all of them Super Bowl contenders. In the 2nd year of a rebuild overhaul with a new coach & GM it's exciting and it's really cool that the organization will get to see this current squad against the best the NFL has to offer so we can make the changes going forward to compete in the future.

Much better than playing a slew of slapdick teams. This schedule will expose our weaknesses & help Macc going into next year, our 3rd year in a 4 year rebuild. We need to stay the course for once.

12 hours ago, ljr said:

Think one of the topics discussed on an earlier day was the Parcells quote about "each rookie starting costs you a loss in 1 game"

that is the opposite of what you are thnking

Parcells (and most experts) & little old me I believe chime in on the other side, continuity with coaches / QB / & key players do better than new regimes & new players.

Patriots prove continuity rules.

and cheating.

Archived