Todd Bowles owes us all an explanation

jetscrazey

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Rich Cimini has no right to mention this considering the fact that he didn't ask him the question last night.

It was the wrong call, but it wasn't an egregious error given the odds. Jets fans, conditioned to disappointment, always expect the worst

We expect the coach to manage the game properly and to make a decision late in the game that was a no-brainer which a 5 year old could have figured out. What happens if Buffalo recovers onside kick and wins by a point. That is unlikely but possible. It really wasn't a hard decision. It kind of reminded me of a Terry Collins brain fart and is not something that instills confidence in the head coach.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Unlike Rex who would have said something like:

Actually, this reminds me of another incident.  I don't remember the details, but we intercept a pass and take it in to the endzone for a pick-6.  But there was < 2 minutes in the game, and the other team had no timeouts.  The weather wasn't great, and if we missed the PAT it would be an 8 point game IIRC.  (I think we were up by 2 before the pick-6 - obviously if we were up by 1 it's a horrible play to run it in.)

Anyway, it didn't make a big difference, but if the defensive player just went down, the game was over.  Obviously if he had fumbled while trying to get in the endzone, that would have been a disaster as well.

Afterwards, when someone said to Rex "shouldn't he have just gone down?" he said some nonsense like "I dunno about that, when a defensive player can score, I say he should!"  It indicated to me how he was essentially incapable of considering when it's better *not* to score...  and/or admit mistakes.  So at least kudos for Bowles saying "yeah, it wasn't the right thing to do, and it was my fault."

Despite Jets feel-good win vs. Bills, Todd Bowles knows his leaky secondary needs to get it together 

Even after a crucial victory, there’s a concerning trend emerging with Gang Green.

The Jets went into Buffalo Thursday night and fought their way to a much-needed win over the Bills, riding an explosive offensive performance back to .500. But for the second straight game, the Jets secondary looked porous and glaringly susceptible to the big play.

Marquise Goodwin blows past Darrelle Revis as Jets secondary continues to give up big plays.

Marquise Goodwin blows past Darrelle Revis as Jets secondary continues to give up big plays.

(TOM SZCZERBOWSKI/GETTY IMAGES)

The Bills threw for 307 yards in the loss, and over half of that production came on two plays — an 84-yard touchdown grab from Marquise Goodwin in the first quarter and a 71-yard touchdown completion to former Jet Greg Salas in the third quarter. This comes after the Jets surrendered passes of 50 or more yards twice against the Bengals on Sunday, including a 54-yard touchdown reception by star wideout A.J. Green.

According to Pro Football Reference, there have been 12 completions of 50 yards or more so far this NFL season. The Jets, who’ve played one more game than the rest of the league after Thursday, are responsible for four of those 12 plays. Not to mention, the Jets also surrendered a 49-yard reception to Brandon LaFell on a third-and-18 in the third quarter against Cincinnati.

The Jets have given up four plays of 50 or more yards, including this Marquise Goodwin TD.

The Jets have given up four plays of 50 or more yards, including this Marquise Goodwin TD.

(TOM SZCZERBOWSKI/GETTY IMAGES)

“It’s one guy here and there. But we’ve got to clean that up,” Todd Bowles said Friday in a conference call. “The communication’s got to be cleaner. It’s Day 1 training camp stuff that we shouldn’t be busting. We’ve got to make sure we correct that.”

Bowles said he doesn’t think there’s a common denominator to the Jets’ big-play problems in the secondary. However, Darelle Revis was in coverage for two of those 50-plus-yard touchdowns — Green in Week 1 and Goodwin on Thursday.

Granted, Green’s touchdown was the result of a busted coverage. But in Buffalo, Goodwin burned Revis on the outside, running right past the former All Pro cornerback for a momentum-shifting score.

“I don’t know if he’s a track star,” Revis said after the game of Goodwin, who qualified for the 2012 London Olympics in the long jump. “But he’s just a fast receiver.”

Bowles said the Jets utilized Revis differently Thursday night, frequently matchup him up against the Bills No. 2 wide receiver while having the rest of the secondary double Sammy Watkins. It was a strategy the team discussed over the summer, and one the Patriots used when Revis won a title in New England in 2014.

But with Watkins nursing a sore foot, the Jets didn’t have to double him as often, Bowles said.

“He gave up two plays. I don’t think that’s an indication of the whole season,” Bowles said of Revis. “He gave up two plays, and he knows he doesn’t want to give the up, and we know we don’t want him to give them up. We’ve got to correct it and move on.”

On the second long touchdown Thursday, a bomb to Salas, Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor kept the play alive with his legs and rolled to his right before unleashing a soaring throw. With Taylor dancing around defenders, Salas got behind Jets backup safety Rontez Miles, who was only in the game because starter Calvin Pryor was “a little banged up” according to Bowles.

Bowles said Friday that play was a busted coverage and wasn’t necessarily Miles’ fault.

Either way, the Jets need to tighten up their secondary or teams are going to exploit that weakness in future contests.

“It’s a copycat league,” Bowles said. “Every time somebody sees somebody have success in something, they’re going to do it until you put the fire out.”

INJURY REPORT

The Jets dodged a bullet Thursday night when Brandon Marshall re-entered the game after suffering what originally appeared to be a serious knee injury. But they didn’t emerge unscathed.

Left guard James Carpenter (calf) and insider linebacker Erin Henderson (foot) left Thursday’s win over the Bills with injuries and didn’t return. Bowles said both players are undergoing MRIs. The extent of each injury won’t be known until the test results come back.

Marshall has a “sore knee,” per Bowles. “He got some treatment, but he’s walking around pretty good,” Bowles said of his receiver.

MISTAKES WERE MADE

Bowles admitted Friday that he should have gone for a two-point conversion after Matt Forte put the Jets up 12 with 4:02 left in regulation on his third rushing touchdown of the night. The Jets instead had Nick Folk kick an extra point to extend the lead to 13 points.

“I was occupied doing something with the defense,” Bowles said. “That was my bust and I’ll get better going forward.”

On 9/16/2016 at 2:04 AM, rex-n-effect said:

Last year just 16% of onsides kicks were successful. Not tremendous risk that the onside kick is successful and if it is that they could get within scoring distance.

so like 1 in 7 is successful?  clearly thats a risk you'd rather not take if you've already got the game in hand.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:51 AM, Big Blocker said:

I don't see how missing a 2 point conversion gives the other team momentum.  They're going to get the ball in any event, and it is no help to their offense that their special teams thwarted the attempt.

Yeah that's a weak reason.

It would have been no more of a momentum killer than a team trying to run out the clock and getting stuffed 3x. It's half expected that will be the outcome, but you do it anyway because the right move is to eat as much clock as possible. Passing is stupid in those situations because an incomplete pass is tantamount to handing the opponent another timeout.

Similar game situation here, from a momentum standpoint. Anyone should know it's a no-brainer decision, and not designed to be a game-changing play for the Jets to convert the 2. So if they fail to make it - just like a team unsuccessfully converting a 1st when draining the clock - it's more of an "Oh well" outcome than an "Oh no!" outcome.

Archived