Joe Benigno reckons we should take a punt on Tom Coughlin

MetsJets1962

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You know, the coach doesn't player. His age is irrelevant. Coughlin would instantly be the best coach we've had since Parcells... and the first actual HC we've hired since. Not just another over-promoted coordinator.

I would think there's a good chance Coughlin would be interested in staying in NY as well (assuming he still wants to coach).  Even if he wants to be GM (or some front office role) I'd consider that too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Other alternatives  - Tom Clements, Ken Zampese , Frank Reich, Pete Carmichael Jr.

The question was EXPERIENCED Head Coaches with an OFFENSIVE background.

None of those guys have been a HC, but I think Clements would be a good candidate. 

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Wonder what would be going on here if we'd hired Doug Marrone and he brought Jim Schwartz with him as DC?

11 hours ago, RSJ said:

That's exactly who I wanted at the time. Was told it was a dumb idea.

+ Tom Gamble for GM?

9 hours ago, Pcola said:

Sure.  Let's keep taking shortcuts and cutting corners.  

Looking at the schedule last April, you had to think this team could possibly be 1-5. 9-6 and 2-4 were possibilities but 1-5 was the most likely.  But it's how the team has played that makes 1-5 that much more terrible.  That said,the schedule coming is a little less daunting. 

If we lose to Balt, I think it's time to pay the price and to break it all up.  Not saying GM or HC.  Not saying Geno either.

Changing HCs this early wastes the last two drafts.  We took players that fit his scheme.  It's one season too early for that.  And taking on a dinosaur like Coughlin, we repeat 2014 all over again, using the win now at all costs at the detriment of the next 4 seasons.  (Mariota over playing Sheldon at ILB).

And Geno is not going to be a Jet next season.  Regardless of if you play him or not.  He is a pouty back up QB and will not be able to be on a team unless he is an obvious #2.  Not a leader and not a good teammate.  Last year did not humble him.  He has this sense of entitlement that will have him out of the league by 2018.

Go with Petty.  Find out what we have. The worst thing that could happen is we have to roll the dice on a Kizer, Watson, or Trubinsky without knowing whether Petty is better than all of them.  Look, at this point he couldn't be much worse than what we are seeing.

What scheme?  35 year olds on offense, and a $30M secondary?  They drafted Williams and it wasn't for the scheme.  They now have 3 3-4 DEs.  I guess it might make the Tiny Linebacker a wasted pick.

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Um, no.  I've always felt this way about him.  But nice try. You don't become a moron from one opinion. 

One stupid opinion does not make you a moron.  Being a moron gives you a stupid opinion.

I agree. What people are clamoring for are slim pickings.
McDaniel from NE
Mornigwhig from Balt - former Jets OC
Haley from Pitt - Former Jets coach
Whisenhut from SD - former Jets coach
Linehan from Dallas
Chan Gailey - NYJ -current OC

I really like the idea of Haley
I know it ended very badly in KC but he has done a tremendous job in Pittsburg as the OC and despite being hated by the team at first Big Ben has been more productive under him than at any other time in his career. And despite injuries/suspensions to levian bell he has kept the offense rolling with a aged deangelo Williams
A second chance could end up being great for him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Boningo has been right about everything this season so far

I couldn't disagree more. His schtick never changes. He just wants everyone gone and complains about how hard it is to be a Jets fan. Wah wah wah. He thinks the Jets are the only team to struggle. He lives in such a bubble.

You don't fire a coach 22 games into his tenure when he's 11-11 overall and coming off a 10 win season. That's a classic panic move. You have to see how the coach and the regime respond to all the adversity and morons in the media calling for change and bashing them. Francesa is actually completely right about that.

Archived