Damon "Snacks" Harrison voted "Most Important in the Locker Room" By Teammates

hokiejetfan92

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/50484/giants-have-a-chance-because-gm-jerry-reese-hit-the-free-agent-jackpot

Wow. The Jets actually developed a solid player who was responsible, hardworking and a real leader. Somewhat interesting given how terrible our locker room is...

Macc just followed traditional philosophy that DE's are more valuable than DT's, but ignored the rest of the roster, the players backgrounds, and their work ethic in franchising WIlk over Snacks.

Even if we start drafting more talented players, if they are idiots like Sheldon/Wilk that just wanna get laid and paid instead of being amazing at their job we're just gonna be back to square 1.

5 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/50484/giants-have-a-chance-because-gm-jerry-reese-hit-the-free-agent-jackpot

Wow. The Jets actually developed a solid player who was responsible, hardworking and a real leader. Somewhat interesting given how terrible our locker room is...

Macc just followed traditional philosophy that DE's are more valuable than DT's, but ignored the rest of the roster, the players backgrounds, and their work ethic in franchising WIlk over Snacks.

Even if we start drafting more talented players, if they are idiots like Sheldon/Wilk that just wanna get laid and paid instead of being amazing at their job we're just gonna be back to square 1.

Still made the right move. This thread should merge with JoeWillys thread.

MAybe if the previous regimes were better at drafting, then they could have kept him

Whoops I didn't see it, sorry mods!

It's also one of those things that I get doesn't save the season or fix our lack of speed rushers. Looking back I just don't get why franchising Wilk at a higher number with 2 other DE's on the roster was such a slam dunk. I didn't really question it at the time. But seems so obvious no (Obvi im not a GM)

Just now, hokiejetfan92 said:

Whoops I didn't see it, sorry mods!

It's also one of those things that I get doesn't save the season or fix our lack of speed rushers. Looking back I just don't get why franchising Wilk at a higher number with 2 other DE's on the roster was such a slam dunk. I didn't really question it at the time. But seems so obvious no (Obvi im not a GM)

I think the reaction of Jets fans and the media at the time was that they didn't want Snacks to go but somebody had to and as you said, pass rusher is more valuable than run stuffer. Which leads me back to my point of prior drafting.

Well the real problem was not recognizing Mo wilk was a half time player who played for a contract and was a lousy locker room guy.  The Rex Ryan effect, take a good young player, tell him he is the best ever no matter what and give him credit for thins before he has ever achieved them.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Big Mac said in the Kay interview that they tried to retain him, FWIW.  The Giants just out bid him

That's why it was a good move. Good player, good locker room presence, but not worth it to pay that amount of money to a run stuffer.

49 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

That's why it was a good move. Good player, good locker room presence, but not worth it to pay that amount of money to a run stuffer.

Well I was saying the move is to franchise Harrison, then resign him after he realizes we have the control at that point, probably would have even gotten a better deal than the giants. Also, the DT cap hit is smaller.

Then we coulda signed Wilk if we felt like it, or let him walk in FA just like we did with Harrison. And you say the money isn't worth it? Do you think this because that is conventional wisdom? I don't think the G-men have buyers remorse right now.

And I understand that a DE is more important than a DT, but not if they are not the same person putting the same effort forward every play.

I just feel like it should be noted that they have 3+ years to study Harrison's and WIlk's effect on the locker room/team and how much they prepare/ give a crap. And they chose the player who is a worse teammate, at an overloaded position for the team, takes plays off... and paid him more to do so. Literally the only reason to have paid Wilk is oh he is a DE, not even taking into account Sheldon and Leonard and the 3-4 scheme etc.

There's no way we could afford to invest at DT what Snacks was honestly worth in the position and ultimately paid by the Giants with the other talent on the DL. Not overpaying for a guy who isn't in a position to be a playmaker every down was the right move. If Macc didn't have to worry about at least a couple big contracts at DE this year or the near future then sure, spend that money to elevate the run D.

With Wilk/Richardson/Williams there should have been enough power to adjust personnel and have a strong DL. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Big Mac said in the Kay interview that they tried to retain him, FWIW.  The Giants just out bid him

Yeah, doesn't give him a free pass. He had sh*t ton of cap space when he took on the job. Should've planned accordingly. Not anyone else's fault we were in cap hell last year but his. 

Archived