Question for the cap guys

section314

If a player is tagged, and plays under that amount for the year, is that money fully guaranteed to the player? Most contracts have bonuses, which are guaranteed, and salary, which usually isn't. Are franchise tags all considered bonus, then? 100% goes to the cap?

Yes. If its an 'exclusive' tag the team has the player for the full year and he cannot negotiate with other teams. The salary is guaranteed and is counted against the cap. If it is a 'non-exclusive' tag, he can negotiate with other teams, but the original team can match if they choose. If they lose him, they get draft pick compensation.

ALSO, the team can trade a Franchise tagged player if they choose to. I believe his salary remains guaranteed and is to be paid by the recipient team.    

In my understanding the money of a player that's "tagged" is totally guaranteed and counts

dollar for dollar against that team's cap.  So if WAS doesn't get a contract done with Cousins

he's going to count $24 million against their cap

53 minutes ago, section314 said:

If a player is tagged, and plays under that amount for the year, is that money fully guaranteed to the player? Most contracts have bonuses, which are guaranteed, and salary, which usually isn't. Are franchise tags all considered bonus, then? 100% goes to the cap?

Franchise tagged or restricted free agent tag? Different set of rules.

Franchise tag = guaranteed once it's signed (though the team can rescind the franchise tag until the player signs it). It counts and it doesn't on the cap until signed. The team has to behave as though it was signed, and that they don't have that cap room available until it's rescinded (or until a new deal is reached; for example, like with us and Mo last year).

Until the player actually signs it, he is still a free agent. He's not technically on any team, can't be fined for missing workouts or practices, and he can openly talk to any other team once the new league year starts (1 week prior to that, I believe, his agent can talk to other teams; same difference, but it's a technicality that only really comes up if the player represents himself like Okung). 

Restricted tag = I believe this rule is the same as it used to be: the team can take it back even if the player signs it, up to final cutdown day. In other words, it is not guaranteed unless the player makes the final roster. You may recall Tannenbaum used this to put the squeeze on Kellen Clemens in 2010 during final cutdowns. It's a pretty dirty rule, and a terrible one for the players (especially meh ones originally drafted higher, like Clemens), and the NFLPA should have gotten this rule tossed out.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Franchise tagged or restricted free agent tag? Different set of rules.

Franchise tag = guaranteed once it's signed (though the team can rescind the franchise tag until the player signs it). It counts and it doesn't on the cap until signed. The team has to behave as though it was signed, and that they don't have that cap room available until it's rescinded (or until a new deal is reached; for example, like with us and Mo last year).

Until the player actually signs it, he is still a free agent. He's not technically on any team, can't be fined for missing workouts or practices, and he can openly talk to any other team once the new league year starts (1 week prior to that, I believe, his agent can talk to other teams; same difference, but it's a technicality that only really comes up if the player represents himself like Okung). 

Restricted tag = I believe this rule is the same as it used to be: the team can take it back even if the player signs it, up to final cutdown day. In other words, it is not guaranteed unless the player makes the final roster. You may recall Tannenbaum used this to put the squeeze on Kellen Clemens in 2010 during final cutdowns. It's a pretty dirty rule, and a terrible one for the players (especially meh ones originally drafted higher, like Clemens), and the NFLPA should have gotten this rule tossed out.

Thanks, Sperm.  The reason I asked was all this Cousins Stuff. Wouldn't the Skins owe him $24mm if he signs, all guaranteed? 

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks, Sperm.  The reason I asked was all this Cousins Stuff. Wouldn't the Skins owe him $24mm if he signs, all guaranteed? 

Yes, they will.

Him getting franchised back to back has gotten him 42 million guarenteed in 2 years.   Not a bad haul at all, plus he is a FA again next year.

Archived