Available FAs (post-draft)

nycdan

With the clearing out of non-productive and/or PED violators from our secondary and receiving core, what is the status with the FAs out there that haven't signed yet.  As far as I can tell, there are a few CB options including Brandon Flowers, Jason McCourty, Tramaine Brock and Alterraun Verner.  I'm not up on how much any of these guys has to offer at this point, but the CB position is feeling a little thin right now and we have some cap room to work with.  Do we like any of these guys as potential targets?

The other guy out there I haven't heard anything about is Elvis Dumerville.  I know...how could we find room on our roster for another productive outside rusher?  Right?  Any rumors on where he might be going and would he fit our scheme?

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

With the clearing out of non-productive and/or PED violators from our secondary and receiving core, what is the status with the FAs out there that haven't signed yet.  As far as I can tell, there are a few CB options including Brandon Flowers, Jason McCourty, Tramaine Brock and Alterraun Verner.  I'm not up on how much any of these guys has to offer at this point, but the CB position is feeling a little thin right now and we have some cap room to work with.  Do we like any of these guys as potential targets?

The other guy out there I haven't heard anything about is Elvis Dumerville.  I know...how could we find room on our roster for another productive outside rusher?  Right?  Any rumors on where he might be going and would he fit our scheme?

He is 33, I don't see the Jets being interested. Unless he can hire James Harrison as his trainer and play for another 10 years.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I don't see the Jets adding any of those players. What's the point? Wasting salary cap space to take reps from younger guys who need them? It's not conducive to the team as it's currently structured. This is not a good team so this year needs to be dedicated to figuring out which young guys can stick and what positions still need to be addressed in the near future. 

37 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't see the Jets adding any of those players. What's the point? Wasting salary cap space to take reps from younger guys who need them? It's not conducive to the team as it's currently structured. This is not a good team so this year needs to be dedicated to figuring out which young guys can stick and what positions still need to be addressed in the near future. 

I think we only have 4 experienced CBs on the roster plus the two 6th round draftees.  That's a little thin to go into camp with.  Yes, we'll have some extra bodies, but if Claiborne gets re-injured or Skrine sucks, we are going to be very exposed.  Even though the goal is to lose lots of games, I think we need to add at least one experienced CB. 

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think we only have 4 experienced CBs on the roster plus the two 6th round draftees.  That's a little thin to go into camp with.  Yes, we'll have some extra bodies, but if Claiborne gets re-injured or Skrine sucks, we are going to be very exposed.  Even though the goal is to lose lots of games, I think we need to add at least one experienced CB. 

Skrine, Claiborne, Williams, Burris, Roberts, and McDougle. Plus the rookies. It's a motley crew but, it's time to see what the young guys have. 

11 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

For a team with so little talent and experience, we unfortunately don't have abundant cap room.  Its almost as if the roster and contracts had been somehow mismanaged or something.  Which can't be true, obviously because McCags is awesome.

Damn, it's still worse than I thought it was even after all the cuts.  Here's the sad thing.  Of the top 6 teams in draft order, four (49ers, Browns, Titans, Jaguars) are the top-4 in terms of cap room with more than $48MM each.  The Bears are 9th with $21MM.  The Jets are 23rd with just under $8MM (but $13MM in dead money, thank you Revis and Fitz).  The situation improves remarkably for 2018 where we are currently ranked 6th in cap space.  It all goes to further support the idea of 'transition year'. 

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

Verner and Brock are somewhat intriguing.  Decent players under 30.  Dumerville would seem to be an complete opposite type of move from the strategy, signing an old aging vet. 

Archived