Decker’s Price tag Shouldn’t Outweigh Presence and Production

JetNation

Just now, JiF said:

Agreed.  Fitz should have coughed up half his money from last year to Decker and Marshall.  

I'd still cut his punk ass. 

Jif, sometimes teammates like and support one another.  It's hardly a reason to hold a years-long grudge and hope a productive player is let go.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Jif, sometimes teammates like and support one another.  It's hardly a reason to hold a years-long grudge and hope a productive player is let go.

He didnt support his teammates.  That's precisely why I want him gone. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It doesn't matter if Decker is on the team or not. They are starting Josh McCown. 

Exactamundo. Which is why it makes zero sense to keep decker around.  If you're going to rebuild, then rebuild.  Cut Harris while you're at it. That's why you sign a Qb coach like Kevin Greene, to be a mentor to the young LB's.  

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

But don't you want to give Hack a legit chance of succeeding?

I mean Q has been one hell of a nice surprise, but just Q and a bunch of youngin's isn't exactly ideal for a young QB's development.

When Hack and Petty are both horrible next year we need to give them as many excuses as possible

10 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Exactamundo. Which is why it makes zero sense to keep decker around.  If you're going to rebuild, then rebuild.  Cut Harris while you're at it. That's why you sign a Qb coach like Kevin Greene, to be a mentor to the young LB's.  

You post like this GM has a plan

We're not rebuidling.  Marshall was cut because he hurt Macagnan's feelings with the dirty diaper comment and Revis got in trouble

Harris is even worse than Revis in coverage but he has kept his mouth shut

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's an interesting take that I completely disagree with.  Hack = 1st overall pick.  McCown probably does just enough to **** us out of the #1 overall.  Especially because we know Bowles is thinking Super Bowl.  And I think it's a little more damning selecting a 2nd round who isnt good enough to trust on the field rather than just not being good.  Plenty of 2nd round picks arent good, not too many never even see the field.  That's amazingly bad.  If he's sh*tty, its oh well.  If he cant see the field, it's bye bye Mac. 

Hack does not = 1st overall pick. Hack = EMBARRASEMENT to Mac for taking him in 2nd round. Wasted pick, big time. He wont play him in 2017. Petty will see the field before Hack. Mac has plenty of rope from woody before he gets hung. After Mac gets a QB in 2018, if there is no significant progress made, Mac is a goner. I can see signing a new QB in 2018, cutting Petty and holding Hack to save face.

4 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Hack does not = 1st overall pick. Hack = EMBARRASEMENT to Mac for taking him in 2nd round. Wasted pick, big time. He wont play him in 2017. Petty will see the field before Hack. Mac has plenty of rope from woody before he gets hung. After Mac gets a QB in 2018, if there is no significant progress made, Mac is a goner. I can see signing a new QB in 2018, cutting Petty and holding Hack to save face.

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I'm so sick of this dysfunctional franchise willingly shooting itself in the foot every year with these garbage drafts

27 minutes ago, thadude said:

You post like this GM has a plan

We're not rebuidling.  Marshall was cut because he hurt Macagnan's feelings with the dirty diaper comment and Revis got in trouble

Harris is even worse than Revis in coverage but he has kept his mouth shut

Cut b/c he hurt Mac's feelings, but Mac reportedly tried to extend him first and let him decide which way he wanted to go?  Sounds odd.

From the Post:

The Jets reportedly offered to keep Marshall, but gave him time to decide whether he wanted to be part of their rebuilding process. ESPN reported the Jets even offered a contract extension to Marshall, who was entering the final year of his deal. Marshall decided he would rather be released and find a better situation, according to multiple reports. 

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I think the WR's are a moot point to Mac right now in regard to Hack. I don't think Hack sees the light of day.  Forget the mentor role.  Mac could have signed a cheaper QB to fill that role and let Hack start day one in 2017.  Its already written in stone......Mac's going for that #1 pick. If he had any confidence in Hack, he'd let him play. Better to save face and go 2-14 with McGowan than 2-14 with Hack. It would make Mac look really bad if Hack really sucks.  Better to not let him play at all, cut him next year and grab one of the top Qb's in the class and avoid responsibility and say 'Hey he just didn't progress as we hoped and we are going in a different direction'.

I don't think the fans and football world are going to let Macc off the hook for drafting Hack if he never plays him (unless he is somehow "injured" before he gets a chance to play).

So Macc is damned if he does, damned if he does not.  

I think he needs to play Hack by week 8 and go with it.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think the fans and football world are going to let Macc off the hook for drafting Hack if he never plays him (unless he is somehow "injured" before he gets a chance to play).

I agree BUT the only green Hack sees is the money in his bank account.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Really hoping it's before week 8.  

Hoping McCown is there to mentor and create the illusion of trying to make the post season.

Once they get to 1-3 or 0-4, pull the plug and go with Hack.

It is very possible that Hack was a wasted Second Round pick.  I don't think that in and of itself is grounds for Macc to be fired.

Weeks ago I did an analysis of 2nd Round QB picks.  Few of them become starters, many backups, and many complete busts.  QBs are generally reached for, although in this past draft many went below where expected (Kaaya, Peterman).  Teams are learning.   Hack does not need to be a good starter for Macc to keep his job.

But what will be bad for Macc is not so much the fact that Hack does not become an NFL QB.  It will be if he is completely awful and looks like he did last year in preseason when he plays with better players.  He will be asked to be more accurate playing in a WCO of sorts. 

Macc has had some hits, but the roster really needs to start coming together this year.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He didnt support his teammates.  That's precisely why I want him gone. 

C'mon dude...you want him gone because he supported a teammate you didn't like. He's gone now.  They should do what's best for the team.  Keep the players that give the young QB's the best chance to succeed.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

C'mon dude...you want him gone because he supported a teammate you didn't like. He's gone now.  They should do what's best for the team.  Keep the players that give the young QB's the best chance to succeed.

No.  That's not it at all.  I want him gone because he publicly trashed his teammates and showed up the coaching staff multiple times.  

You think I have an agenda because he supported Fitz?  lol like I give a ****.  Mangold supported Fitz and you'll find posts where I wish we resigned him at a lower cost to retire a Jet.  I dont hold grudges or have agendas.  I want what's best of the Jets.  Decker is a selfish turd.  I'd prefer him play somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Big Dick Decker!!!!

Oh, that's right.  You were a Santonio Holmes man!

6 hours ago, varjet said:

If Hack looks passable, they sign another veteran and draft a QB high.  This would be the base case scenario from a QB expense standpoint, with the most risk.  Hack would basically be the Jet's Glennon.  Hopefully, this is the most likely scenario.I

It's not.  It's not even close to being the most likely scenario, but you know that.  I still don't understand  how many of you expect Hackenberg to start.  Hope sure.  Argue that we can't prove without a shadow of a doubt that he is abysmal?  Sure, but it sure isn't close to likely. 

5 hours ago, slats said:

Easily my biggest problem with him. I'd need to sit him down, talk about the plans at QB for the team, and hear from him that he's completely on board with the rebuild. If he's not, then the cap money saved is just a bonus. 

I'd sit him down, but what he would hear is that I don't give a **** if he is on board with what we do at QB.  He is to keep his mouth shut and play as hard as he can whatever sh*thead we trot out there at QB.  Players play, coaches coach, everybody shut the **** up. 

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Oh, that's right.  You were a Santonio Holmes man!

It's not.  It's not even close to being the most likely scenario, but you know that.  I still don't understand  how many of you expect Hackenberg to start.  Hope sure.  Argue that we can't prove without a shadow of a doubt that he is abysmal?  Sure, but it sure isn't close to likely. 

I'd sit him down, but what he would hear is that I don't give a **** if he is on board with what we do at QB.  He is to keep his mouth shut and play as hard as he can whatever sh*thead we trot out there at QB.  Players play, coaches coach, everybody shut the **** up. 

I love everything about this post.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Cut b/c he hurt Mac's feelings, but Mac reportedly tried to extend him first and let him decide which way he wanted to go?  Sounds odd.

From the Post:

The Jets reportedly offered to keep Marshall, but gave him time to decide whether he wanted to be part of their rebuilding process. ESPN reported the Jets even offered a contract extension to Marshall, who was entering the final year of his deal. Marshall decided he would rather be released and find a better situation, according to multiple reports. 

The source close was his agent trying to save face. 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

ya think?

Hack is an enigma.   He spent most of his life playing QB.  He was a 5 Star Recruit to Penn State, and the number 2 QB.  He had scholarship offers from all the top schools.  He was the Big 10 Freshman of the Year.   He was a projected top pick after his Freshman year.  7 of the 32 first round picks were Big 10 players.   He then, for a number of reasons, had bad sophomore and junior years, and he looked terrible in preseason and supposedly practice last year.

I think it is also apparent that Gailey and Patullo were checked out last year and did not do much coaching.

This is Hack's chance.  He is working right now.  We will find out about him, and Petty, soon enough.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

No.  That's not it at all.  I want him gone because he publicly trashed his teammates and showed up the coaching staff multiple times.  

You think I have an agenda because he supported Fitz?  lol like I give a ****.  Mangold supported Fitz and you'll find posts where I wish we resigned him at a lower cost to retire a Jet.  I dont hold grudges or have agendas.  I want what's best of the Jets.  Decker is a selfish turd.  I'd prefer him play somewhere else. 

Almost every time Decker's name is mentioned, you rip him for supporting Fitz, but all of a sudden you don't care about it?  LOL

Being serious and back to my previous question.  How is good for the team to let a guy walk who gives your young QB the best chance to succeed?  All we do is piss and moan about how bad our QB's are and that we never develop them properly.  Now people are suggesting we significantly downgrade our WR group to save a few million dollars a team that's not going to contend either way. You let him stick around to help Hack this season and you cut him next offseason, bringing your cap space from $63 million to $69 million, which should be enough money to sign a few free agents.  Is the difference between $69 million and $74 million in cap space that big of a deal? 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Almost every time Decker's name is mentioned, you rip him for supporting Fitz, but all of a sudden you don't care about it?  LOL

Being serious and back to my previous question.  How is good for the team to let a guy walk who gives your young QB the best chance to succeed?  All we do is piss and moan about how bad our QB's are and that we never develop them properly.  Now people are suggesting we significantly downgrade our WR group to save a few million dollars a team that's not going to contend either way. You let him stick around to help Hack this season and you cut him next offseason, bringing your cap space from $63 million to $69 million, which should be enough money to sign a few free agents.  Is the difference between $69 million and $74 million in cap space that big of a deal? 

That's not even remotely true.  You're getting me confused with someone else. 

I dont think Eric Decker does anything to help anyone develop anything.  He's a selfish player who puts down his teammates down through the media, shows up the coaching staff and GM who is constantly injured.  I'd prefer to not have that type of personality along for the ride during a rebuild.  This isnt about money, its about the culture.  Eric Decker is part of the reason the culture went to sh*t.  I think you need to rid yourself of those types of players.  Pretty simple. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's not even remotely true.  You're getting me confused with someone else. 

I dont think Eric Decker does anything to help anyone develop anything.  He's a selfish player who puts down his teammates down through the media, shows up the coaching staff and GM who is constantly injured.  I'd prefer to not have that type of personality along for the ride during a rebuild.  This isnt about money, its about the culture.  Eric Decker is part of the reason the culture went to sh*t.  I think you need to rid yourself of those types of players.  Pretty simple. 

I think you're insane, but I still love you.

17 hours ago, varjet said:

Hack is an enigma.   He spent most of his life playing QB.  He was a 5 Star Recruit to Penn State, and the number 2 QB.  He had scholarship offers from all the top schools.  He was the Big 10 Freshman of the Year.   He was a projected top pick after his Freshman year.  7 of the 32 first round picks were Big 10 players.   He then, for a number of reasons, had bad sophomore and junior years, and he looked terrible in preseason and supposedly practice last year.

I think it is also apparent that Gailey and Patullo were checked out last year and did not do much coaching.

This is Hack's chance.  He is working right now.  We will find out about him, and Petty, soon enough.

Hack wouldn't be the first great high school player who sucked in college and was even worse in the pros

Archived