mike and mike rip

rangerous

What I notice as I get older; most of these sports radio guys get these jobs in their 20s and 30s before they get married, or at least settle down and have kids(or IN Francesa's case, dumping the wife for a younger wife). Some of these guys, like Cowherd,are total creeps. Simply find it laughable that any married with kids guy can watch and then pontificate on every sporting event every night. As you get older, pretty much boil down to the sports and teams you really care about and pretty much shut down the rest. Unless these guys are the worst fathers in the word( a possibility; picture Francesa fleeing to his Manhasset den screaming at his kids to shut the eff up one sunny Sunday to watch another pointless NBA game: IT'S MY JOB!). Would love to hear one of them one days simply say "Didn't see it, don't really know anything about it, had to go to a soccer game/dance recital/famnily dinner." To their  credit, heard Chris Russo ad Michael Kay say as much.But suspect it's way more common that anyone acknowledge. Would wager most of the "hot takes" start as apreshow discussion about how to get the audience to listen to another pointless segment about the same 4 or 5 things again.

And may be more  deadly to their business; there isn't much these shows offer substantively you could not get from checking out the internet anyway.  

2 hours ago, sciond said:

Yes the dumb ass Marci Turk. I have listened a lot less since she came into power. I call it the "getting things done coup". Even Gary answers to her. It has definitely has gone down hill.

Marci Turk is to the SternShow what Idzik/Mac are to the Jets

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The FAN is already fading. They have no one to replace him with either. 

Yup.  And they deserve it.  If one is pro-Francesa one tends to be anti-FAN.

That said, ESPN NY sucks, Michael Kay is the worst, just the worst.  And Don LaGreca?  Love the guy on Rangers and Jets pre/postgames, very informative, but he's not a live-talkshow guy, not a good sidekick for blowhard Kay.  It's unlistenable.  That's why when Francesa moves to streaming/podcast/whatever it's going to send a huge shock through the ratings as people ditch AMFM for a powerful new alternative.

SAR I

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The one person in house I would hope gets the shot is Evan Roberts, solo.  I could see them trying to lure Bill Simmons here, but the Boston  rap wouldn't go over here. Plus, he's really just a whinier version of Mike Greenberg. 

Simmons is brutal.  How'd he get an HBO show?

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Wait til they give the 1-6:30 slot to Governor Krispy.  WFAN will implode

The only person I would feel compelled to listen to in Mike's old slot, and it probably would get tired very quick, is Adam Schein.

His work on the Jets postgame show was must-listen TV, he'd do well on FAN if he'd tone it down a touch.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That said, ESPN NY sucks, Michael Kay is the worst, just the worst.  And Don LaGreca?  Love the guy on Rangers and Jets pre/postgames, very informative, but he's not a live-talkshow guy, not a good sidekick for blowhard Kay.  It's unlistenable.  That's why when Francesa moves to streaming/podcast/whatever it's going to send a huge shock through the ratings as people ditch AMFM for a powerful new alternative.

SAR I

I can see Kay beating Chris Christie in the ratings.  At least he has a Yankees link

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I dont think people will follow Mike to podcasts. His career is done once he leaves the FAN. He's made enough money anyways. 

Just now, SAR I said:

The only person I would feel compelled to listen to in Mike's old slot, and it probably would get tired very quick, is Adam Schein.

His work on the Jets postgame show was must-listen TV, he'd do well on FAN if he'd tone it down a touch.

SAR I

I think Joe and Evan will get the afternoon and someone new would get the early part of the afternoon like 12-2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The one person in house I would hope gets the shot is Evan Roberts, solo.  I could see them trying to lure Bill Simmons here, but the Boston  rap wouldn't go over here. Plus, he's really just a whinier version of Mike Greenberg. 

Those are just "guys".  Decent talkshow people, but not Francesa.

The key to Francesa, and what makes him must-listen radio, is that he is extremely opinionated and can back up his claims with very good arguments.  Sometimes he's wrong, clearly, but he makes a great argument and thus makes great radio.  Others try this and fail because they sound more arrogant that Mike does (like that idiot Jim Rome) without the same depth of knowledge.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

I can see Kay beating Chris Christie in the ratings.  At least he has a Yankees link

Definitely.  But that's like two mice fighting over a tiny piece of cheese, the NY sports radio scene would (will) implode.

If I'm Francesa I create my own streaming network with my own streaming app, get myself off the ground, and then bring other major radio hosts onboard.  By the time he really retires he'll have set up his family for generations with a viable business model.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Dog has a great thing going...why ruin it with Francesa. It would be like you inviting Hack to be your partner at a member guest.:D

Russo offered Francesa publicly to join his station on sirius.  He didn't turn it down

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, not one that I am aware of.  Other than his horse racing crap which turns me off I find him very impartial and fair in his assessments.

SAR I

i haven't listened to francesca for quite some time.  i tend to agree about him not having an agenda although he also tends to be a blowhard.  i remember when parcells was the jets coach and francesca would out throw out those teasers about how he knew something that everyone else didn't know but he couldn't say.  time for him to move on.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Russo offered Francesa publicly to join his station on sirius.  He didn't turn it down

reunions always sound better until they're actually done.  then all of the hatred and resentment just comes roaring back.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

reunions always sound better until they're actually done.  then all of the hatred and resentment just comes roaring back.

It wasn't to reunite Mike and The Mad Dog.  I think the idea is for Russo and Francesa to have separate shows on Sirius.

Archived