Red Wings Owners show class!

faba

Red Wings owners apologize in newspaper ad

March 15, 2005

DETROIT (AP) -- The owners of the Detroit Red Wings apologized in full-page newspaper ads for the loss of the NHL season.

In a letter published Tuesday in the sports sections of the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News, Mike and Marian Ilitch said they were ``extremely sorry'' the Red Wings did not play because of the lockout, and thanked the fans for their loyalty.

``The decision by the league to cancel the season until a new CBA (collective bargaining agreement) was agreed upon was an extremely difficult one, but necessary for the long-term success of the NHL,'' the Ilitches wrote. ``We know how disappointing this necessary action was, and we share in your frustration.''

The NHL last month became the first major sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute.

Nice gesture by Ilitch

Being a Ranger fan I do not how an owner of a hockey team can have any class.

faba: It's only Day 1 of his new moderating duties, and you're already kissing GOB's a*s. What gives?

GGG I take care of all my fellow hockey fans

If Snyder takes out an ad I will be sure to post it for your Flyers.

Tell Jeremy R. to lay off the bashing of Snyder and the other owners and maybe he will

Illitch is very much apart of the community here. From Little Ceasers to minor league hockey to MLB and NHL, he's a Detroiter. He wants them to win as much for us as he does for him. Hell, when he was growing up, he wanted to be a Tiger. This doesn't suprise me in the least. There's a reason the Wings had one of the highest payrolls. It wasn't because they could afford it. It was because Mike wanted to give the fans a winner. And he did, in hockey anyway. And the Tigers seem to be on the right path.

Shadow hit the nail on the head. Illitch is more than just an owner, he's a Detroiter and a fan. He cares just as much as the fans do when it comes to the Wings and finally within the last 2 seasons, the Tigers.

I was neutral when the lockout started, and I still hate Gary Bettman more than Saddam Hussein, but I'll side with the owners (gulp) to an extent on this debate. The players lost my support when they

1)Caved in to a cap 150 days into the lockout.

2)Decided to take jobs away from minor leaguers to play in leagues with salary caps.

Archived