When should Darnold Start?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. When Should Darnold Start

• Week 1 - Throw him into the fire
    • Mid season - Regardless of record
    • Mid season - When McCown or Bridgewater struggle
    • Mid - Late season - When the Jets are out of contention
    • Redshirt Year 1 - Give him time to learn

Sit him for the first 4 games while McCown shields him from the 3 games in 11 days, then set the beast free. 

Playing him day 1 does nothing except stroke certain posters on this board, but

Sitting him for a full year is detrimental to years 4 and 5 when the Jets will have to judge his performance in order to manage his extension/second contract.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, BCJet said:

There is a ZERO, repeat ZERO chance that Sam Darnold doesnt take regular season snaps for this team in 2018.

Maybe its week 1, maybe its week 8 or maybe we have a record of 4-6 and its week 11, but there is ZERO chance a kid with his talent sits for an entire season to "learn" from Josh McCown.

I am not in favor or rushing him into live games, but that is what the coaching staff is for.  If he is able to have enough comprehension of a limited playbook that contains some similar plays from the USC offense, then he should start.  If he is getting overwhelmed with protections, play calling, audibles etc. then he should watch from the sidelines, get more comfortable and progress enough to get meaningful, developmental snaps at some point in the season.

It amazes me that people use Aaron Rogers as an example, as if he wouldnt be a great QB had he played in his first season.  The guy wasnt sitting behind a 38 year old journeyman QB, he was sitting behind a first ballot HOF who was an icon to his franchise.  That situation couldnt be remotely further from what we have here.  Please stop using that example.

Yes Sam Darnold will absolutely play next season.  McCown is old, injury prone and not that good.  Bridgewater isn’t healthy and was never good and Hack is an abomination 

And even Aaron Rodgers got to play as a rookie even with one of the greatest qbs of all time ahead of him in the depth chart

Bold prediction time, Darnold will be starter week 1 book it.  

I think he has to fall flat on his face in TC, and preseason not to, and I don’t expect that to happen personally, and the Jets want to start him, and if he gives them enough to show he is ready to they will from the get go, and again I believe he is capable of showing them he is ready, and expect him to, and it doesn’t matter if McCown, or Bridgewater look lights out, if Darnold shows he can handle it their gonna give it to him.

Archived