133 members have voted

1. 1. When Should Darnold Start

• Week 1 - Throw him into the fire
    • Mid season - Regardless of record
    • Mid season - When McCown or Bridgewater struggle
    • Mid - Late season - When the Jets are out of contention
    • Redshirt Year 1 - Give him time to learn

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If he isn't ready to start the 2019 season he was a bad pick. Is there any QB that redshirted a year and didn't start his 2nd season that doesn't suck?  Are we aiming for a Paxton Lynch career trajectory?  I won't go nuts, but I will be scouting the 2020 QB class.  Bright side: Cousins and a bunch of other guys will be FAs for 2021.

Lol, more Cousins BS. Fuuuck that POS Cousins. We have our franchise guy in Darnold, but 3 days in you are already planning on giving up on Darnold and signing at 33 year old jagoff veteran crapstorm like Cousins??? Wow

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jet fans are starving for darnold to be ready. It is way too early to tell. You can’t even rule out of him not being ready to start the 2019 season. I know the fans will go nuts if he is not ready week 1 next yr ha

If the third overall pick and #1 QB on most NFL teams board is not ready by 2019 then he's NOT worth picking.

His HC Helton says he's Pro ready, this let him sit narrative is based on people thinking he's not capable. We will see during Training camp how ready he is.

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If the third overall pick and #1 QB on most NFL teams board is not ready by 2019 then he's NOT worth picking.

His HC Helton says he's Pro ready, this let him sit narrative is based on people thinking he's not capable. We will see during Training camp how ready he is.

That doesn’t make sense. Many of the Teams who ranked darnold #1 have said Rosen and mayfield will most likely be ready to play much sooner than darnold. Read that again. Maybe had a win now team we would have picked Rosen or mayfield over darnold, Who almost all loved the best, but knew he would probably need more time to develop. I’m ok with that. Impatient fans should be too. Darnold should be a great qb for 15 years. Let Rosen and mayfield beat him on the field. Who cares. Darnold will pass them eventually.  

I think it would be wise to wait at least a game or two to see what the OL and the new blocking scheme looks like. If the edge rushers come flying through let them kill Mc Cown. Last thing you want is to watch your new FQB and feel like your watching some nature channel praying for the antelope not to get hunted down and killed. 

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That doesn’t make sense. Many of the Teams who ranked darnold #1 have said Rosen and mayfield will most likely be ready to play much sooner than darnold. Read that again. Maybe had a win now team we would have picked Rosen or mayfield over darnold, Who almost all loved the best, but knew he would probably need more time to develop. I’m ok with that. Impatient fans should be too. Darnold should be a great qb for 15 years. Let Rosen and mayfield beat him on the field. Who cares. Darnold will pass them eventually.  

He'll throw a minimum 25 ints if he plays this year imo

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yes it does, if your taking a QB #3 he may sit a bit, but if he's not ready for 2019 then he should not have been taken top 3.

You take a development project later who may sit for two years, oh yes we have one Hack. If Darnold shows he can play he should play. I've found in life I learn by doing the thing I'm learning, not sitting.

I've said I'd like him to sit the first month, but that's it. He should get out there and play meaningful games this year. 

I don't agree with the OL fears. I do agree that the OL could certainly be better, but part of the reason that Darnold was the #3 overall pick (who most feel should've been #1 overall) is because he's big, strong, and durable, and that he moves well and can make plays on the move. Sure, give the new starter(s) and new zone blocking scheme a month into the regular season with McCown taking the lumps back there, but then make the switch. Darnold's here largely because he can play behind a lesser OL. 

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

If he beats out McCown in the preseason he should start. We ain't going anywhere with Josh at the helm so let's get this party started & give these young players something to get excited about on Sundays. 

At his age McCown is NOT a starting QB in this league, now if you told me Teddy was healthy & looks great in preseason then play him but Darnold has too much talent to sit on the bench here. David Shaw said he reminds him of Luck, let's get this process going so we can surround him with elite skill players in 2019 when he's really ready to rock. Sam will be immersed in the playbook & filmroom unlike Sanchez who was dicking around with Shottenhiemers computer, doing GQ photo shoots, wiping boogies on Mark Brunnels jacket & eating hotdogs on the sideline. Huge maturity difference between these 2 USC QBs.

Darnold might not beat out McClown but he will beat out the Gimp and Hack.  When McCown gets injured Darnold should play this shouldn’t even be a discussion 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

so far 33 of you are fools. Start him right away? No wonder we're without success... he has flaws. he needs work. Gambling that has a Goff caliber turnaround in year 2 is foolish. 

Wow you already know precisely what stats Darnold would have as a rookie what are the lotto numbers for today?

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Aaron Rodgers ? I”ll take that. I know it’s not the norm to sit like it use to be. Every qb is different. When is the last time a 21 yr old was a starter in nfl and did well ? We picked a young qb, mayfield and Rosen May be more ready to go. But it’s not a race Who is better in yr 1 or 2, it’s year 3-4 when they really hit their mark. We should focus more on making the offense nfl acceptable for darnold. 

I know you think you are being all reasonable, but you're not.  Nobody is claiming the kid has to start out like gangbusters or expects miracles from day 1.  Most of us don't think he needs to start week 1.  OTOH, I am getting a little tired of hearing about Aaron Rodgers.  There is a difference between sitting behind Favre and sitting behind Josh McCown.  Besides, it was a decade ago and the rules were different.

IMO, if he is not starting in 2019 we will have a new staff.  Sitting him for half of his rookie deal is a poor allocation of the resource.  When Rodgers came up the top Qbs were making $7-13M.  Now they are making $30M.  You have to make hay while you have the chance.     

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wow you already know precisely what stats Darnold would have as a rookie what are the lotto numbers for today?

Phil, i'm not gonna lie. I'm tired of reading your trash. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Phil, i'm not gonna lie. I'm tired of reading your trash. 

You already know Darnold is going to throw 0tds and 37 ints because we don’t have the 1999 rams offensive roster

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You already know Darnold is going to throw 0tds and 37 ints because we don’t have the 1999 rams offensive roster

who said anything like that? You make it very difficult sometimes to not jump down your throat. How many QBs have you developed? How many times has grooming a QB for 4-10 games backfired? 

I think you need to seek out more external stimuli. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know you think you are being all reasonable, but you're not.  Nobody is claiming the kid has to start out like gangbusters or expects miracles from day 1.  Most of us don't think he needs to start week 1.  OTOH, I am getting a little tired of hearing about Aaron Rodgers.  There is a difference between sitting behind Favre and sitting behind Josh McCown.  Besides, it was a decade ago and the rules were different.

IMO, if he is not starting in 2019 we will have a new staff.  Sitting him for half of his rookie deal is a poor allocation of the resource.  When Rodgers came up the top Qbs were making $7-13M.  Now they are making $30M.  You have to make hay while you have the chance.     

I am understand fans impatience and frustration. We have waited WAY too long for a franchise qb. Your frustration is showing bright and that is ok. No I’m not saying he has to sit two full years. Maybe he is a little slow out of camp next year, needs another month or two. You are willing to say 1 yr is ok, but 1.5 years of sitting is a total bust ? Lol. We invested for the future. I do think young qbs do not learn as much when they have to worry about prepping every week for opposing D, ect. I’m not saying that is what happened to Sanchez, but we can’t say for sure either. Jimmy garapollo waited longer than he needed, but take a look at him now. all that extra time he had to work on tweaking little things in his game paid off big time. Sam will play when he is ready. I hope he is not rushed. I would hope fans would be more concerned and bitchin for Bowles to get Sam a decent offense, decent line. We have a lot of work to do on the O next offseason.

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I am understand fans impatience and frustration. We have waited WAY too long for a franchise qb. Your frustration is showing bright and that is ok. No I’m not saying he has to sit two full years. Maybe he is a little show out of camp next year, needs another month or two. You are willing to say 1 yr is ok, but 1.5 years of sitting is a total bust ? Lol. We invested for the future. I do think young qbs do not learn as much when they have to worry about prepping every week for opposing D, ect. I’m not saying that is what happened to Sanchez, but we can’t say for sure either. Jimmy garapollo waited longer than he needed, but take a look at him now. all that extra time he had to work on tweaking little things in his game paid off big time. Sam will play when he is ready. I hope he is not rushed.

Did you read the word bust anywhere up there?  We agree they need to groom the QB and that they his development is more important than the record over the next couple of years.  What I am saying is that if Darnold is not better than Josh McCown by camp next year, then our staff has failed and they will be fired.  Either because they were wrong and he is not as good as we thought, or because they did not properly utilize/develop him.  Winston started from Day 1 and they still dumped their staff for him.  The player is bigger than the staff - it is up to them to properly use him.  

My plan would be similar to Slats.  Camp contest.  If he wins it, great.  If he loses or it is very close wait and start him a little later after the frenzy the first few weeks.  Keep the pressure off him a bit, but it is better that he sees some action this year. 

BTW, I am about the most patient person you will ever meet.  I have no problem waiting, I just do not think waiting gets us closer in this case.

10 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't understand:

"well we drafted him high, so he's gotta play now!"

"since when did sitting help anybody?... Dorsia?...nobody goes there anymore"

"We've got to compete this year... because..."

Aaron Rodgers sat.  Carson Palmer sat.  Pat Maholmes sat last year

If we had the Texans roster and coaching staff, sure, maybe we give Darnold a shot to win the job.  

But we don't.  We've got Bowles and a bottom third roster. 

I love that we got Darnold.  I'm excited going forward. 

But we've still got McCown and this offensive unit is a long way from a good supporting cast.  The most logical thing to do is to give Sam the time to learn how to be a professional for a year, maybe throw him a game or two weeks 16 and 17, and then spend a lot of money and draft capital next year on offense... hopefully get a new head coach in too; one that we're confident can develop a quarterback.  

I understand your thinking but Bowles is coming back next year unless a major disaster happens. Either way, it's not Bowles developing him it's Bates. 

While this roster isn't anything special, there ARE weapons to throw to and support the guy. It's up to how the oline performs. Which is why you wait a month or so and see how things are going. Week 1 definitely not.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you read the word bust anywhere up there?  We agree they need to groom the QB and that they his development is more important than the record over the next couple of years.  What I am saying is that if Darnold is not better than Josh McCown by camp next year, then our staff has failed and they will be firedEither because they were wrong and he is not as good as we thought, or because they did not properly utilize/develop him.  Winston started from Day 1 and they still dumped their staff for him.  The player is bigger than the staff - it is up to them to properly use him.  

My plan would be similar to Slats.  Camp contest.  If he wins it, great.  If he loses or it is very close wait and start him a little later after the frenzy the first few weeks.  Keep the pressure off him a bit, but it is better that he sees some action this year. 

BTW, I am about the most patient person you will ever meet.  I have no problem waiting, I just do not think waiting gets us closer in this case.

You said the pick would be a waste, ect if he sat half his rookie deal. Well I agree 2 full years is way long. But we are big picture here, not first 2 years. We would pick up the 5th year anyway. We are tagging or signing Sam to a long term deal. He is 1 of the youngest qbs to be drafted ever. Fans keep forgetting this. 

So you are saying Mac and Bowles will be fired in the middle or end of camp next yr if they say Sam is not quite ready ? Lol. That would be a first time a entire staff was fired right before season started lol. Yes maybe if it was up to the impatient fans ha. Lucky that would never happen. I’m confident they won’t hold the kid back, nor throw him in before he is not ready. Especially with our offense.

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I am understand fans impatience and frustration. We have waited WAY too long for a franchise qb. Your frustration is showing bright and that is ok. No I’m not saying he has to sit two full years. Maybe he is a little slow out of camp next year, needs another month or two. You are willing to say 1 yr is ok, but 1.5 years of sitting is a total bust ? Lol. We invested for the future. I do think young qbs do not learn as much when they have to worry about prepping every week for opposing D, ect. I’m not saying that is what happened to Sanchez, but we can’t say for sure either. Jimmy garapollo waited longer than he needed, but take a look at him now. all that extra time he had to work on tweaking little things in his game paid off big time. Sam will play when he is ready. I hope he is not rushed. I would hope fans would be more concerned and bitchin for Bowles to get Sam a decent offense, decent line. We have a lot of work to do on the O next offseason.

I don’t see anyone being impatient and demanding Darnold start week 1 but benching him until 2025 is nonsense

McCown - cannot survive a 16 game season

Bridgewater- wasn’t good before his leg almost fell off

Hack - terrible

Sam Darnold is going to play at some point next season.  Won’t be week 1 but realistically could be week 5 or 6

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t see anyone being impatient and demanding Darnold start week 1 but benching him until 2025 is nonsense

McCown - cannot survive a 16 game season

Bridgewater- wasn’t good before his leg almost fell off

Hack - terrible

Sam Darnold is going to play at some point next season.  Won’t be week 1 but realistically could be week 5 or 6

I don’t know who said anything about 2025 dude lol. 

I don’t know a qb who will survive 16 games behind the current jets Oline

bridgewter is likely cut.

mac isn’t ready to give up on hac, or admit how bad of a pick he was. He will be the #3 this yr and next on the cheap.

Sam will play when he is ready. Not when the fans demand it. I hope it’s this yr too.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is 1 of the youngest qbs to be drafted ever. Fans keep forgetting this. 

I think this gets overstated. Josh Rosen, the QB in this class deemed to be the most pro-ready, is only four months older than Darnold. 

He doesn't need to be the opening day starter, and I pretty much hope he's not, but he should definitely be starting meaningful games this year. It will be disappointing (to say the least) if he doesn't. He's only going to develop so far on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You said the pick would be a waste, ect if he sat half his rookie deal. Well I agree 2 full years is way long. But we are big picture here, not first 2 years. We would pick up the 5th year anyway. We are tagging or signing Sam to a long term deal. He is 1 of the youngest qbs to be drafted ever. Fans keep forgetting this. 

So you are saying Mac and Bowles will be fired in the middle or end of camp next yr if they say Sam is not quite ready ? Lol. That would be a first time a entire staff was fired right before season started lol. Yes maybe if it was up to the impatient fans ha. Lucky that would never happen. I’m confident they won’t hold the kid back, nor throw him in before he is not ready. Especially with our offense.

You think they are not going to know he is a starter before the draft in 2019?  Please let me know which QBs sat that long that are successful.  Rodgers?  Cousins? Those guys were not sitting for Josh McCown.  Who else?  Pretty sure there has not been a successful top 10 pick in the last decade that was not ready to start week 1 of his sophomore season.  Mahomes didn't get any playing time at all and they are confident enough to roll with him and Chad Henne.  They'll know if the guy can play, no need to keep him behind the glass in case of emergency.

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don’t know who said anything about 2025 dude lol. 

I don’t know a qb who will survive 16 games behind the current jets Oline

bridgewter is likely cut.

mac isn’t ready to give up on hac, or admit how bad of a pick he was. He will be the #3 this yr and next on the cheap.

Sam will play when he is ready. Not when the fans demand it. I hope it’s this yr too.

Bridgewater needs to be cut he’s a waste of a roster spot.  Ditto for Hack

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think they are not going to know he is a starter before the draft in 2019?  Please let me know which QBs sat that long that are successful.  Rodgers?  Cousins? Those guys were not sitting for Josh McCown.  Who else?  Pretty sure there has not been a successful top 10 pick in the last decade that was not ready to start week 1 of his sophomore season.  Mahomes didn't get any playing time at all and they are confident enough to roll with him and Chad Henne.  They'll know if the guy can play, no need to keep him behind the glass in case of emergency.

Watson didn’t start week 1 last year

20 minutes ago, slats said:

I think this gets overstated. Josh Rosen, the QB in this class deemed to be the most pro-ready, is only four months older than Darnold. 

He doesn't need to be the opening day starter, and I pretty much hope he's not, but he should definitely be starting meaningful games this year. It will be disappointing (to say the least) if he doesn't. He's only going to develop so far on the bench. 

Good point. Everybody’s board had darnold ranked higher than Rosen. Yet they all would tell you Rosen is more pro ready. Rosen also was the starter for 3 yrs, darnold only 2. But Ok. So we took the qb with higher ceiling, less baggage but it will cost us in the short run. Jet fans keep forgetting that. Darnold May have been #1 ranked qb on 90% of peoples boards, but 85% of those boards would say darnold is likely to be 3rd or even 4th pro ready out of the 4 qbs. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

who said anything like that? You make it very difficult sometimes to not jump down your throat. How QBs have you developed? How many times has grooming a QB for 4-10 games backfired? 

I think you need to seek out more external stimuli. 

Put him on ignore - he's just not worth it.

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Good point. Everybody’s board had darnold ranked higher than Rosen. Yet they all would tell you Rosen is more pro ready. Rosen also was the starter for 3 yrs, darnold only 2. But Ok. So we took the qb with higher ceiling, less baggage but it will cost us in the short run. Jet fans keep forgetting that. Darnold May have been #1 ranked qb on 90% of peoples boards, but 85% of those boards would say darnold is likely to be 3rd or even 4th pro ready out of the 4 qbs. 

Listen, we're not too far off here. Neither of us really want Darnold starting opening day, but you'd be more tolerant of him not starting this year (or into next) than I would be. You've already said you'd prefer to see him start this year, too. 

I get that Darnold is young. Perhaps, more importantly, is that he's only been playing QB for four years. Yet, after just his third year playing QB, he was widely considered to be the #1 QB in the country. That tells me two things: one, that he has a tremendous amount of natural ability and; two, that he's a quick learner. I suspect that sitting him too long would stunt his growth more than help his development. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Listen, we're not too far off here. Neither of us really want Darnold starting opening day, but you'd be more tolerant of him not starting this year (or into next) than I would be. You've already said you'd prefer to see him start this year, too. 

I get that Darnold is young. Perhaps, more importantly, is that he's only been playing QB for four years. Yet, after just his third year playing QB, he was widely considered to be the #1 QB in the country. That tells me two things: one, that he has a tremendous amount of natural ability and; two, that he's a quick learner. I suspect that sitting him too long would stunt his growth more than help his development. 

He did lead the nation in turnovers last yr. his fumbles were up considerable from his first yr. Many say it was due to him having a weaker offensive line last yr. Ok that was college, I’d like to see him not lead the nfl in turnovers too behind a weak OL. That is number one imo. They can really make him concentrate on ball security instead of opposing D, ect. I don’t know how long that will take, nobody does. That is just 1 area he needs to work on. There are a lot of other little moving parts he needs to learn of polish. If he sits to start the year and we are out of playoff contention at the end of it, there is no reason not to let the kid play. Just like Bowles should have let hackenberg play some end of last.

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

While I completely agree with you about Darnold not sitting for nearly that long, I think the question of the person they are sitting behind could not possibly be more irrelevant.  It's not like Cousins learned a damn thing from sitting behind RG3 that gave him so much greater benefit than Darnold would get on the bench.  I can't imagine any scenario where Darnold doesn't get substantial playing time this year short of the unthinkable happening (e.g., Bridgewater winning the job, playing lights out, and having the Jets seen as a serious contender).  With that said, the timing of when the change happens should be based entirely on Darnold, not anyone else.

Archived