New Channel by this fall

80gonyjets51

WB Net, UPN to merge, become the CW TV Network

By Paul J. Gough

NEW YORK -- In a bombshell announcement that caught television industry insiders by surprise Tuesday morning, The WB and UPN have cut a deal to join forces as a new single network dubbed The CW that will be comprised of programming and executive talent from both of its predecessors.

In a top-secret megadeal unveiled at a surprise news conference in midtown Manhattan, CBS Corp. and Time Warner will own 50% of the new network that will eventually have coverage in more than 95% of the country. UPN president Dawn Ostroff will become The CW's president of entertainment; WB Network chief operating officer John Maata will be the chief operating officer of the newly formed entity.

Both UPN and The WB will cease operations and go off the air in September. The CW will program 13 primetime hours across six nights as well as a Kids WB block on Saturdays and two hours of syndicated programming in the weekday afternoons, essentially mirroring The WB model. While a schedule won't be released until the upfronts in May, the new network could carry shows like "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural" and "Smallville" from The WB and "America's Next Top Model," "Veronica Mars" and "Everybody Hates Chris" from UPN.

If this in any way affects the airing of Smallville I am gonna be "super" pissed. :evil:

Probably a new night... well, maybe, as they want to keep Smackdown too. I'm not sure how it's going to shake out. Smackdown is on Friday. But the Thursday line ups are totally different, as UPN's is comedy and WB is drama...

Actually UPN is comedy, and WB is drama... always has been. They'll **** it up, somehow :lol:

If this in any way affects the airing of Smallville I am gonna be "super" pissed. :evil:

Not at all, the WB11 will become the CW11 in the fall. Smallville will remain on the schedule for what may in fact be it's final season in 2006-2007. Reba, Gilmore Girls, Beauty -n- the Geek & Everwood have also been extended to the new CW schedule.

Veronica Mars will make the shift from UPN to the CW on Thursday nights. As will WWE Smackdown, Girlfriends, Everybody Hates Chris & America's Next Top Model, per their statement earlier this week..

What happens to the rest of the WB's schedule (Charmed, One Tree Hill, Supernatural...) Is for all to know by the media meetings next month in Los Vegas.

I'm still upset - yet I understand why they did/didn't kill off Lana this week.

AND NOW A GEEK MOMENT: For pity sake, He's to wind up with the bigger hottie LOIS LANE as his wife!

EricaDuran_DeGui_4224704.jpg

Not at all, the WB11 will become the CW11 in the fall. Smallville will remain on the schedule for what may in fact be it's final season in 2006-2007. Reba, Gilmore Girls, Beauty -n- the Geek & Everwood have also been extended to the new CW schedule.

Veronica Mars will make the shift from UPN to the CW on Thursday nights. As will WWE Smackdown, Girlfriends, Everybody Hates Chris & America's Next Top Model, per their statement earlier this week..

What happens to the rest of the WB's schedule (Charmed, One Tree Hill, Supernatural...) Is for all to know by the media meetings next month in Los Vegas.

I'm still upset - yet I understand why they did/didn't kill off Lana this week.

AND NOW A GEEK MOMENT: For pity sake, He's to wind up with the bigger hottie LOIS LANE as his wife!

While she's hot... she's no Lois Lane.

And Smallville has jumped the shark.

While she's hot... she's no Lois Lane.

And Smallville has jumped the shark.

Remember, unlike other shows, this one HAD TO JUMP THE SHARK!

supermanreturns1.jpg

Especially with this coming out this summer! If they didn't they would have suffered the same fate as the X-files the last 2 seasons following their movie. A movie mind you that did not use the series to build up to the film - unlike what smallville just did on Thursday!

Remember, unlike other shows, this one HAD TO JUMP THE SHARK!

supermanreturns1.jpg

Especially with this coming out this summer! If they didn't they would have suffered the same fate as the X-files the last 2 seasons following their movie. A movie mind you that did not use the series to build up to the film - unlike what smallville just did on Thursday!

Yeah but... the show, Smallville... it has very little to do with Superman. It's about Clark Kent and his journey. It doesn't follow anything canon, from the comics. It's in it's own little world. And, they wanna run the show for two more seasons, apparently.

Archived