The Jets have to consider trading down in this years draft

YJF

I've been going through some projections today. Trying to look at the value board and who could be available to The Jets at 26.

OT- All three top players could be gone by 26. Alex Barron, Jamal Brown and Khalif Barnes. If my projections are right. There is no other OT left on the board worthy of The 26th spot.

DB-Antrel Rolle, Adam Jones, Carlos Rogers and Justin Miller could all be gone by 26. That would mean drafting Fabian Washington or a Marlin Jackson at that point.

In this scenario, I would advise that The Jets should try and move down.

There are only two positions where I think The Jets could have the first crack at the best players at those respective positions.

TE-Heath Miller and DT Antajj Hawthorne or C.J. Moslely.

Two players that I am really starting to like are CB-Bryant McFadden from FSU and TE-Alex Smith from Stanford. Both will be drafted in The early 2nd round. Very unlikely that they fall to The Jets late in The 2nd round.

The 2nd round is always the best to have multiple picks in. You pay less that you do with 1st rounders and you get players with first round value if you do your homework right.

Nice post YJF. I've had a feeling for a while that the Jets will trade down. There always seems to be teams in the top 15 of round 2 who want to get back into the first round. However, I do think the Jets should wait until draft day before making a move just in case someone falls to 26.

I don't know too much about future college prospects. If the Jets can pick up a first round pick in 2006 by trading back, what will the value be like compared to this year's draft?

Actually, two confounds:

1) Who would want the #26 pick if Barron, Brown, Barnes, Miller, Rogers, Rolle and Jones are off the board? Unless someone gets a hard-on for a QB or HB that falls, I can't see finding a trade partner.

2) Also, the Jets are in a position there, assuming all of those people are gone (and assuming that Heath Miller goes high), that we can still end up with a nice player regardless by just sitting there. As opposed to hoping that a 2nd tier guy drops into the 2nd round where we traded into, we can lock in and get a good talent if the draft falls as you suggest. In your scenario, for instance, an Erasmus James could drop to us, or a Troy Williamson.

Archived