What to think about recent success?

WowOhWow

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Jets have played some not so great teams but without actually working for the Jets it looks like game planning has been much better....calls have been more tailored to the QBs strengths....good production from 3rd and 4th stringers on D......Most important OL doesn’t look like a complete trainwreck anymore....getting Beachum back is huge. Losing Kalil and Winters is addition by subtraction 

Ya, this.

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's not likely but not completely unreasonable.if we win out we will have tiebreakers against Oakland and Pittsburgh. Not sure if you looked but Buffalo's schedule is brutal the last 5 games. If Dallas gets their head out of their added, they could easily lose out. I could see a scenario where one of the North teams gets a wildcard and the Jets and Bills play for the 2nd. Remember 2009? We were almost mathematically eliminated but that year like most years the wildcard teams all tend to gravitate towards 8-8 because scheduling is unbalanced. Also the NFC us killing the AFC this year which removes tons of wins from the AFC. An 8 and 8 team might even make it this year

You’ve said this for some time, but teams keep winning.  There’s a good chance there are multiple 7 win teams after this week.  The odds of only one of those teams getting only one more win is very small.  The Bills losing out also is a win for the Steelers, who, if they beat the Bills and Browns, only need to beat the Cardinals to hit 9, and they play the Ravens in a week where a bye might be locked up, which could put them at 10.  Meanwhile, if the Steelers can’t beat the Browns, that gives the Browns 6 wins and games against Cincy x2, and the Cardinals to get to 9.

Football Outsiders has us at 1.1% to make it.  That number seems pretty reasonable.

over the past 3 games the jets as a team are doing things that they haven't been able to do in at least 2 seasons and can be argued to extend back to a decade.  they're scoring on their opening drives.  how many times have we seen the offense come out and score points right of the gate over the past decade?  not many.  and the past 3 weeks they've scored point on their first two drives.  and then the defense comes out and is starting to play complete games.  both run and pass defense is working well.  a lot of this shows the offense and the defense are working together.  haven't seen this in quite some time.

will it stick?  i don't know but they do have some players who should be able to carry this winning attitude over to next season.  grab some good players in the draft and free agency as well as bring back some of the lower profile current players and maybe next year will be magic.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

You’ve said this for some time, but teams keep winning.  There’s a good chance there are multiple 7 win teams after this week.  The odds of only one of those teams getting only one more win is very small.  The Bills losing out also is a win for the Steelers, who, if they beat the Bills and Browns, only need to beat the Cardinals to hit 9, and they play the Ravens in a week where a bye might be locked up, which could put them at 10.  Meanwhile, if the Steelers can’t beat the Browns, that gives the Browns 6 wins and games against Cincy x2, and the Cardinals to get to 9.

Football Outsiders has us at 1.1% to make it.  That number seems pretty reasonable.

Just an interesting note, but if the Jets win out and Buffalo loses out, the Jets make the playoffs in many many scenarios because the other contending teams play some really hard NFC teams and they the teams play each other a lot. Mess around with the Playoff Machine... First time I just picked each game as I would think and had the Jets win out and Buffalo lose out and the Jets got the 5th seed. And Buffalo losing out is not really a stretch IF we assume they lose to the Jets AND Jets win out since they also beat them. Jets seem to not make the playoffs in any scenario at 8-8 but there are many many combos where they get in at 9-7, including where Buffalo wins 2 including a victory over Pittsburgh. Obviously not easy for Jets to win out but if they do I would say its more likely than not that they do make the playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Think it’s a great sign of things to come. Next few weeks will show a lot as well. 

Past 3 weeks they’ve dominated each team and controlled each game. 

Love the attitude of not taking the foot off the gas on offense or playing soft on defense. They’ve been playing with a chip. 

If they can control and dominate next two against Cincy and Miami and be competitive with Baltimore, I’d be very happy.  Throw in knocking Buffalo out of the playoffs and it’d be a great end. 

18 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

The Jets have a legit chance to get to 6-7, and be on a 5-game winning streak heading to Baltimore.  If you look at the NFL schedule the next two weeks it's not unreasonable to think the Jets could actually be in the hunt for a playoff spot (highly unlikely but a real possibility) if they can get to 9 wins.  Many of the teams ahead of them play each other or play really good teams.

Gotta give great credit to Gase.  Kudos.  The team has really looked good.

But considering the competition we've faced I'm finding it hard to make a judgement on the state of our team.  We're playing better and look like a professional football team.  That in itself is an improvement.

Sam looks great.  The OLine is playing well (and doing a very professional job in lieu of injuries).  The defense is solid.

But is all this a mirage because we're playing crappy teams?

It's not crazy to see a team go from being a laughingstock to getting on a run and having some success and going into the following year with momentum, confidence, etc.  Is that the path we're on?

This team...I can't figure it out.  Would appreciate some viewpoints on this.

We need to mainly show the progress of consistency now. Don't care if it's by 1 point but win the next 2. Then the 2 tough road games aside I think we should beat Pitt at home. That makes 7 wins and I will not fault them in games against the Ravens and Bills on the road but expect a good fight in each and not 30 point losses, If that occurs I'd say we should be on track next season with a decent draft and FA period to have a winning record next year and if another game is added to the schedule for 17 of them plus another playoff spot we would then have a better chance for post season play.

9 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Think it’s a great sign of things to come. Next few weeks will show a lot as well. 

Past 3 weeks they’ve dominated each team and controlled each game. 

Love the attitude of not taking the foot off the gas on offense or playing soft on defense. They’ve been playing with a chip. 

If they can control and dominate next two against Cincy and Miami and be competitive with Baltimore, I’d be very happy.  Throw in knocking Buffalo out of the playoffs and it’d be a great end. 

Great point on the O. When idiots like the announcers are saying why are we throwing with big leads, well we have seen enough prevent O cost us games with leads so that is why and good we maintain our similiar O throughout games.